Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Fox News Viewers Most Misinformed, Study Finds

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    298

    Fox News Viewers Most Misinformed, Study Finds

    Fox News Viewers Most Misinformed, Study Finds

    By Dylan Stableford
    Published: December 17, 2010 @ 11:47 am

    Fox News viewers were the most “misinformed” of any during the 2010 election cycle.

    This, according to an interesting study conducted by researchers at the University of Maryland, who set out to determine whether, and to what degree, voters were misinformed on issues brought up during the campaign season.

    “Those who had greater exposure to news sources were generally better informed,” the study -- entitled "Misinformation and the 2010 Election" -- states. “In the great majority of cases, those with higher levels of exposure to news sources had lower levels of misinformation. There were however a number of cases where greater exposure to a news source increased misinformation on a specific issue.”

    According to the research, those who watched Fox News "almost daily" were significantly more likely than those who never watched the channel to believe that:

    >> Most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses (12 points more likely)

    >> Most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit (31 points)

    >> The economy is getting worse (26 points)

    >> Most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (30 points)

    >> The stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (14 points)

    >> Their own income taxes have gone up (14 points)

    >> The auto bailout only occurred under Obama (13 points)

    >> When TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it (12 points)

    >> And that it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States (31 points)

    That last one still gets me -- 63 percent of "regular" FNC's viewers doubt Obama was born here (CNN -- 41 percent!!!).

    And the global warming point is worth noting since recently leaked memos show that Fox News D.C. bureau chief Bill Sammon e-mailed staffers last December telling them to cast doubt on global warming -- something that scientists do agree is happening.

    “These effects increased incrementally with increasing levels of exposure and all were statistically significant,” the study concluded. “The effect was also not simply a function of partisan bias, as people who voted Democratic and watched Fox News were also more likely to have such misinformation than those who did not watch it -- though by a lesser margin than those who voted Republican.”

    The misinformation, however, wasn’t limited to Fox.

    >> Daily consumers of MSNBC and public broadcasting (NPR and PBS) were higher (34 points and 25 points respectively) in believing that it was proven that the U.S. Chamber of Commerce was spending money raised from foreign sources to support Republican candidates.

    >> Daily watchers of network TV news broadcasts were 12 points higher in believing that TARP was signed into law by President Obama, and 11 points higher in believing that most Republicans oppose TARP.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,162
    what a load of sh*t

  3. #3
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,476
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowSubmarine View Post
    This, according to an interesting study conducted by researchers at the University of Maryland, who set out to determine whether, and to what degree, voters were misinformed on issues brought up during the campaign season.
    Interesting? Who decided that?

    And....who funded this study, one might ask.



  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,400
    the dozens of people who watch MSNBC will never have to worry about being misinformed....

  5. #5
    JetsFan2012
    Guest
    No link to the study?

  6. #6
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Rockland County
    Posts
    399
    found it:
    http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pi...d=&pnt=671&lb=

    Fox's response:
    UPDATE: Michael Clemente, Fox News' senior vice president of news editorial, responded to a New York Times piece on the report: "The latest Princeton Review ranked the University of Maryland among the top schools for having 'Students Who Study The Least' and being the 'Best Party School' — given these fine academic distinctions, we'll regard the study with the same level of veracity it was 'researched' with."

    ha!

  7. #7
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062
    So many flaws.....

    "Most Economists"? Where is the source that confirms the claim "Most economists" do or think anything? Because Obama says similoar things, it's fact? At least on Climate change they'd have a better basis for that one, given there have been large groups who express their support for the theory.

    "The economy is getting worse". Again, such a generalized nonspecific question. Despite Bit's claim we're in obvious blissful recovery, there are many reasons why any individual might thing it's gettng worse.

    Same goes for most of the poll. Suprised they didn't ask a question about tax cuts for the rich while they were at it, nad bashed anyone who said it stimulated the economy.

    /shrug, standard have-the-answer-now-how-can-we-ask-the-question predetermination stuff.

    Oh, and the one that bugs you ost, Obama birth. Could be VERY easy to clear up. Obama can release his actual birth certificate. Seems simple enough, and in the begining I assumed he would at some point. The fact that he doesn't, but instead uses proxies, stand-in's and witnesses instead....is smelly. Just release the damn thing, and shut the birthers up ffs. He almost surely was born in the US so just release it.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by majormajor42 View Post
    found it:
    http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pi...d=&pnt=671&lb=

    Fox's response:
    UPDATE: Michael Clemente, Fox News' senior vice president of news editorial, responded to a New York Times piece on the report: "The latest Princeton Review ranked the University of Maryland among the top schools for having 'Students Who Study The Least' and being the 'Best Party School' — given these fine academic distinctions, we'll regard the study with the same level of veracity it was 'researched' with."

    ha!
    Fox viewers. Misinformed.

  9. #9
    JetsFan2012
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by majormajor42 View Post
    found it:
    http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pi...d=&pnt=671&lb=

    Fox's response:
    UPDATE: Michael Clemente, Fox News' senior vice president of news editorial, responded to a New York Times piece on the report: "The latest Princeton Review ranked the University of Maryland among the top schools for having 'Students Who Study The Least' and being the 'Best Party School' — given these fine academic distinctions, we'll regard the study with the same level of veracity it was 'researched' with."

    ha!
    LOL, that is pretty good

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,481
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowSubmarine View Post
    Fox viewers. Misinformed.
    Way to add substance to your thread

  11. #11
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    "The economy is getting worse". Again, such a generalized nonspecific question. Despite Bit's claim we're in obvious blissful recovery, there are many reasons why any individual might thing it's gettng worse.

    politically certain people hope the economy tanks so "their side" can regain power

    regardless of the election outcomes these real numbers exist. if there's a growth of 1% it's not a recession. If the unemployment goes down from 9.6 to 9.5 it's improving.

    there's no room for interpretation. these are real numbers.

    the economy is either growing or shrinking.

    Jobs are either being added or they aren't. there are very few numbers (if any) that say things are getting worse.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Farmingdale, NY
    Posts
    2,535
    Well, Fox is the best at what they do.

    The amount of flags they use on their sets.

    The stone cold hotties they employ - goddam megyn kelly, you dirty conservative Irish b*tch! - (it's OK, I'm Irish)



    The opinion programming that isn't news - Fox & Friends, Cavuto, Beck, O'Reilly, Hannity.

    Dr Ailes

    Rupert Murdoch

    The Saudi Prince that owns the second largest share in Fox - Alwaleed Bin Talal (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...t-company-trap) - that is NEVER ever talked about.

    Fox is disingenuous. It's not as all surprising that people who watch their network daily are 31% more likely to believe that is "unclear" whether our President was actually born in the United States - seeing as Fox essentially sponsored the "birther" movement.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,400
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    Well, Fox is the best at what they do.

    The amount of flags they use on their sets.

    The stone cold hotties they employ - goddam megyn kelly, you dirty conservative Irish b*tch! - (it's OK, I'm Irish)



    The opinion programming that isn't news - Fox & Friends, Cavuto, Beck, O'Reilly, Hannity.

    Dr Ailes

    Rupert Murdoch

    The Saudi Prince that owns the second largest share in Fox - Alwaleed Bin Talal (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...t-company-trap) - that is NEVER ever talked about.

    Fox is disingenuous. It's not as all surprising that people who watch their network daily are 31% more likely to believe that is "unclear" whether our President was actually born in the United States - seeing as Fox essentially sponsored the "birther" movement.
    apostles of obama and liberalism calling others disingenuous and claiming others are misinformed....that's rich- lol
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 12-18-2010 at 03:49 PM.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    23,165
    Anyone who watches ANY cable news...and anyone who reads ANY of the "major" "news" sites is VERY misinformed. That is the purpose of "news" anymore. It isn't to provide information...it's to provide misinformation. They are ALL THE SAME. Fox, MSNBC, CNN.

    All. The. Same.

    Wanna be informed of todays events? Read a history book. That's it. The world is exactly the same now as it was 10, 100, 1000 years ago. Anyone who begs to differ is either misinformed...or just stupid.

    Now...95% of the posters here are very informed...but the average American electorate is about as dumb as a f*cking post. I hate to say it, but this country of ours is chock full of some very very very very very f*cking stupid people. VERY stupid. 70% of Americans couldn't find Canada on a GD map...even if the word "CANADA" was printed on it.

  15. #15
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    politically certain people hope the economy tanks so "their side" can regain power
    Tell me Bt, how can you (with a strait face) make that claim, when you denied so vociferously that "one side" wanted "the War in Iraq to tank" so "their side" could regain power?

    Can you not see the hypocricy you display?

    Both sides want good thing to happen whenthey are in power, and not-as-good-things to happen when they are out of power.

    regardless of the election outcomes these real numbers exist. if there's a growth of 1% it's not a recession. If the unemployment goes down from 9.6 to 9.5 it's improving.
    Statistics =/= Perception in the Real World.

    there's no room for interpretation. these are real numbers.
    So we're either with you, or against you, eh? Ok, George.

    Jobs are either being added or they aren't. there are very few numbers (if any) that say things are getting worse.
    You truly are a lost cause Bit. As dedicatedly partisan and with the same kind of blinders on as a YellowSubmarine these days.

    This forum has not been good for you my friend.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,857
    My own poll (pole actually) says "102.3% of posters named YellowSubmarine" don't have a clue and hang around here just to start ****".


    doosh.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,984
    This study is not surprising at all.

    Although Fox News is clearly slanted to the right, a large contributing factor to the results of this study has to go to the viewers themselves. It's not only a matter of Fox News purposely "misinforming" their audience, it's also a matter of the audience looking for justification and validation of their already preexisting world views.

    For example, if a regular Fox News viewer feels strongly about small government and low government spending, then the chances of that person acknowledging that a large percentage of the stimulus was tax cuts go down by a noticeable difference. Fox News can do a better job of reporting the facts, but it can be very difficult to educate people that are "set in their ways" and not necessarily looking for the absolute truth.

    The same can be said of other networks and their audience although it appears to occur at a lesser degree.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    19,179
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    This study is not surprising at all.

    Although Fox News is clearly slanted to the right, a large contributing factor to the results of this study has to go to the viewers themselves. It's not only a matter of Fox News purposely "misinforming" their audience, it's also a matter of the audience looking for justification and validation of their already preexisting world views.

    For example, if a regular Fox News viewer feels strongly about small government and low government spending, then the chances of that person acknowledging that a large percentage of the stimulus was tax cuts go down by a noticeable difference. Fox News can do a better job of reporting the facts, but it can be very difficult to educate people that are "set in their ways" and not necessarily looking for the absolute truth.

    The same can be said of other networks and their audience although it appears to occur at a lesser degree.

    Link?????

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    This study is not surprising at all.

    Although Fox News is clearly slanted to the right, a large contributing factor to the results of this study has to go to the viewers themselves. It's not only a matter of Fox News purposely "misinforming" their audience, it's also a matter of the audience looking for justification and validation of their already preexisting world views.

    For example, if a regular Fox News viewer feels strongly about small government and low government spending, then the chances of that person acknowledging that a large percentage of the stimulus was tax cuts go down by a noticeable difference. Fox News can do a better job of reporting the facts, but it can be very difficult to educate people that are "set in their ways" and not necessarily looking for the absolute truth.

    The same can be said of other networks and their audience although it appears to occur at a lesser degree.
    Good post until the last paragraph which kind of supports your own world view.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,924
    I don't have to hope, the leadership is doing that all by themselves.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us