Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Schottenheimer should be fired for throwing on third down.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3871885]This....

Running the ball in that situation wreaks of Hacket and Herm.

If we are under 2:00 minutes, ok then a run makes more sense. If we are playing the Pats or a team that is not the best run defense since the 2000 Ravens, ok then a run makes sense.[/QUOTE]

thank you ...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;3871907]The playcalling in this game was nearly perfect. That was Schotty's best game this season. Was it perfect? NO, but how often is the playcalling from ANY OC perfect? NEVER. Did we win the game? YES, so was it GOOD ENOUGH? YES! Quit your b$tching and get over yourself.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

He called a good game until that crucial moment, and it nearly cost us the game. Considering his disgusting track record it's totally valid to criticize him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMo;3871882]Back off man and quit insulting everyone while you are at it. Oh and answer why shotgun makes any sense in that situation.[/QUOTE]

Maybe our young QB is more comfortable reading the D out of the Shotgun and the one thing we can't have is a INT?

We can run out of the Shotgun, do a QB draw we aren't limited by the shutgun anymore.

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you really would have been totally content if the Jets ran the ball, and then if the Steelers had managed to score the game-winning TD, you still would have defended the decision to run the ball and essentially concede possession?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;3871900]OUR fanbase is looked at like a joke because after every win delusional people like yourself start proclaiming us Super Bowl winners.[/QUOTE]

SB Winners??? Really? I have not once in all my posts done this. Am I excited about the win? Yes. Do I think everything is fine and we are going all the way? Ofcourse not.

Dont assume, makes you look foolish. We can disagree about a call, everyone has an opinion, but the fact of the matter is the Jets fanbase is looked at as a joke nationally. Just telling it like it is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;3871923]He called a good game until that crucial moment, and it nearly cost us the game. Considering his disgusting track record it's totally valid to criticize him.[/QUOTE]

AGREED. But all in all, it was Schotty's best game this season. Why not point out where he was good, like the designed rollout for Sanchez that Pittsburgh fell for hook, line, and sinker?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    We win a great game and someone puts an ass-whole thread like this up.

SCHOTTY WAS GREAT TODAY!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=njherdfan;3871937]So you really would have been totally content if the Jets ran the ball, and then if the Steelers had managed to score the game-winning TD, you still would have defended the decision to run the ball and essentially concede possession?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. It's the smart move in that situation. The Steelers would have had less time or no timeouts. It would have made things harder for them.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3871947]SB Winners??? Really? I have not once in all my posts done this. Am I excited about the win? Yes. Do I think everything is fine and we are going all the way? Ofcourse not.

Dont assume, makes you look foolish. [B]We can disagree about a call, everyone has an opinion, but the fact of the matter is the Jets fanbase is looked at as a joke nationally.[/B] Just telling it like it is.[/QUOTE]

Because we're loud and obnoxious. Not because we criticize our coaches when they do something stupid.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;3871910]Wrong as usual.

Running the draw on 2nd and 20 (as Schitthead did in the first half) reeks of Hackett and Herm.

Any coach with half a brain runs the ball on that third down play.[/QUOTE]

The Jets were playing to WIN THE GAME.

Running against a team that statistically is the best since the 2000 Ravens to take away the last timeout and kill 5-7 seconds and give the Steelers 2:20 to win the game is not the "obvious" way to go if you want to win the game.

Its fine to disagree, everyone has an opinion. However, there is no "obvious call" in this situation like some may claim there is/was.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Schotty is a horrible OC but I don't hate that call. It's a gamble pure and simple. They make it and the game is over and the Jets look great for being aggressive. They didn't so it looked bad. I thought Schotty called a decent game. Got rid of that horrible Wildcat offense finally.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;3871948]AGREED. But all in all, it was Schotty's best game this season. Why not point out where he was good, like the designed rollout for Sanchez that Pittsburgh fell for hook, line, and sinker?[/QUOTE]

That was a great call, and Sanchez executed the fake perfectly. I also loved the direct snap to LT.

But that one call on the third down had me foaming at the mouth. It was a horrible call in a crucial spot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;3871821]Every play in ever football game can cost you the game. Going for the win with the lead is not a dumb call. You're just pissed that Shotty called a good game and you're so blinded by your own hate you are being a pathetic second guesser on 1 failed play in a great win.[/QUOTE]

You're 100% correct.

Guy called a great game. LT running out of bounds after he picked up the 1st down was the bonehead play of the day IMO.

Throwing for the win is what winners do.

And what's with the freaking 3 man rush/soft zone with the game on the line? I will never, ever understand why a coach goes away from what his team does best during crunch time.

that said, HUGE WIN!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;3871905]my apologies if you felt insulted ... not my intention to offend anybody. if anybody was offended by me calling them a sissy i apologize. Should have never called the TS an idiot ... but here's what i meant ... if you agree with the TS you're THINKING like a sissy ... i should have worded it different. I'm not here to start personal things and make attacks I just get a little worked up here by things I think are bullish remarks. Its all a matter of opinions and I know that so my bad for that ...[/QUOTE]

We're good, thanks for that. I guess we'll agree to disagree on the formation. For the record, the pass itself is not really what I had a problem with just the shotgun. Plus I think Sanchez is meh out of the shotgun anyway, a PA rollout would have been my call if going pass. Overall solid game by Schotty but nothing spectacular if you ask me. Don't let his terribad gameplans delude you into think this is amazing, it's all part of his relativity tricks ;) lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3871987]You're 100% correct.

Guy called a great game. LT running out of bounds after he picked up the 1st down was the bonehead play of the day IMO.

And what's with the freaking 3 man rush/soft zone with the game on the line? I will never, ever understand why a coach goes away from what his team does best during crunch time.

that said, HUGE WIN!!![/QUOTE]

The reality is you don't have to call a great game you need great execution. Today for the most part we got very good execution by the O and he pulled out two or three really good misdirection plays at critical points that worked well against an overly aggesive D.

Sanchez played well, WR cought passes instead of dropping them blocks were finished. That's what we need much more of. The couple of misdirection plays were great that's playcalling.

This was a nice win because we got it from the special teams the O executing and the D while not great hung on and found a way. That's a great win on the road in tough conditions.

It wasn't perfect the end of the first half looked like a fire drill but the basic plan was solid and I'm guessing they had a good week of practice.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even in a huge win, we, as JI posters, are still fighting with each other. I understand what the OP is saying. Detroit passed on 3rd down against us and that came back and bit them in the ass. I have no problem trying to go for the win, but I would have ran the ball.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3871987]You're 100% correct.

that said, HUGE WIN!!![/QUOTE]

TBH we don't do blitzing well at all these days. If we are gonna get no heat might as well have guys back in coverage. The difference is Big Ben having 6 seconds and less coverage v. 10 seconds and more coverage... sad truth about the front 7 this year :(

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3871975]The Jets were playing to WIN THE GAME.

Running against a team that statistically is the best since the 2000 Ravens to take away the last timeout and kill 5-7 seconds and give the Steelers 2:20 to win the game is not the "obvious" way to go if you want to win the game.

Its fine to disagree, everyone has an opinion. However, there is no "obvious call" in this situation like some may claim there is/was.[/QUOTE]

lol i'm shocked the kids complaining don't see this. We've seen Big Ben make plays in playoff games and superbowls with less time. Seriously who the hell really thinks with 2:20 to go and the 2 minute warning thinks thats not enough time for big ben? even after seeing how it played out today i'd still do the same thing lol ... it makes sense to run or pass in that situation I can see both sides but how does it not make MORE sense to pass and win the game. If the Jets get the completion and win the game much more easily nobody is saying anything. If you get that first down worst case scenario they get the ball deep in their own territory with under a minute left. Thats the WORST case scenario. How is that not MUCH better than giving them the ball with 2:20 left. Hell if you can get 2 first downs they don't even get the ball back. I much like keeping the ball in our hands rather than punt the ball. Up 7 I say "RUN THE BALL" ... up 5 where a TD beats you ... NO WAY! You play this differently depending on the score and how much time is left. Both played in favor of passing

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;3872031]lol i'm shocked the kids complaining don't see this. We've seen Big Ben make plays in playoff games and superbowls with less time. Seriously who the hell really thinks with 2:20 to go and the 2 minute warning thinks thats not enough time for big ben? even after seeing how it played out today i'd still do the same thing lol ... it makes sense to run or pass in that situation I can see both sides but how does it not make MORE sense to pass and win the game. If the Jets get the completion and win the game much more easily nobody is saying anything. If you get that first down worst case scenario they get the ball deep in their own territory with under a minute left. Thats the WORST case scenario. How is that not MUCH better than giving them the ball with 2:20 left. Hell if you can get 2 first downs they don't even get the ball back. I much like keeping the ball in our hands rather than punt the ball. Up 7 I say "RUN THE BALL" ... up 5 where a TD beats you ... NO WAY! You play this differently depending on the score and how much time is left. Both played in favor of passing[/QUOTE]

If you run the ball and don't get the first down you force them to take a TO or go to the 2 minute warning. Nothing wrong with going for the win with a pass but failure of a pass vs a run is significant.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=njherdfan;3871826]I believe the Steelers had 2 timeouts left at that point. I'd rather take a shot throwing the ball than just line up and try blasting the ball for a 2 yard run against one of the best run defenses in the NFL. Maybe you want to go play-action, but throwing the ball there isn't a bad idea. If it was below the 2 minute warning, I'd agree.[/QUOTE]

I like your idea of a play action in that situation.