Thread: Clock management

Banned

Clock management

Is it me or is this an issue withg this team. I don't want to make a huge deal of it, but we could of gotten in at least 2 more plays before the end of the half if we used a time out and towards the end of the game we went out of bounds 2x and stopped the clock. Thoughts?

-drunk kid catholic

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Poor clock management, yes.

[QUOTE=drunk kid catholic;3872495]Is it me or is this an issue withg this team. I don't want to make a huge deal of it, but we could of gotten in at least 2 more plays before the end of the half if we used a time out and towards the end of the game we went out of bounds 2x and stopped the clock. Thoughts?

-drunk kid catholic[/QUOTE]

It looks like we were not sure if wewere going for it or playing the clock out.

It's like EVERY JETS COACH since Parcells has to have the pre-requisite of not having any clock-management skills.

Herman Edwards
    Mangina
    And now Rex.

WTF?? :mad:

All Pro
    Agreed - and why did they throw on 3rd down... I know a 1st down pretty much wins it but a run keeps the clock running and time outs need to be used by the Steelers.

I am happy with the win but we need to improve a lot!!

Poor clock management and horrible, weak, passive defensive play calling at the end almost cost the Jets the game.

[QUOTE=djaparz;3873197]Agreed - and why did they throw on 3rd down... I know a 1st down pretty much wins it but a run keeps the clock running and time outs need to be used by the Steelers.

I am happy with the win but we need to improve a lot!![/QUOTE]

That 3rd down throw was the dumbest thing I have seen from this staff. Only because Detroit did that and it may have cost them the game. you'd think the coaches would have learned....

And the first half lack of time and time out management with Sanchez looking clueless, like he knows to call a time out with 20 sec to go, but was looking for permission and did not get it.....

I don't hate the third-down throw as much as the possession prior, when we kept going out of bounds. Should have eaten at least an extra minute of clock than we did.

Throwing on the third down at the end wins the game if you pull it off. So there's a big reward for the risk involved.

What really pissed me off was the end of the first half, though. Either go for it, or don't. What we did made no sense at all.

[QUOTE=Flagman5A;3873215]That 3rd down throw was the dumbest thing I have seen from this staff. Only because Detroit did that and it may have cost them the game. you'd think the coaches would have learned....

And the first half lack of time and time out management with Sanchez looking clueless, like he knows to call a time out with 20 sec to go, but was looking for permission and did not get it.....[/QUOTE]

Clock management is an art form that very few coaches are good at.
    Parcells & Belichick are the best.
    both of them are situational masters, you only need to look at their records in holding 4th quarter leads. I think they are just insane numbers.

Rex needs to become more of a student of situational football. I think he's a great coach but he needs to be a great "GAME DAY" coach, which I believe he can be.
    Each game situation is different but you can learn something in each one & change an outcome of a game by recalling past games.

A perfect example was the Detroit game.
    That game should have been a lesson on what do do yesterday regarding the 3rd & 3 play. They had a similar situation as what was experienced in that game only reversed.
    They didn't learn anything did they?
    The right play was to run the ball & reduce the time in that game.

Always extend the game if you have timeouts
    Always reduce the time given the chance with equal odds.

Piss poor clock management, to say the least.

...still trying to make sense of the decisions made right before halftime and @ the end of the Miami game...

That was a GREAT!! decision to go for the first with over 2 minutes left. With that much time left on the clock one time out was negligible to going for the win right there. The reward/consequense ratio was extremely high.

All League
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3873204]Poor clock management and horrible, weak, passive defensive play calling at the end almost cost the Jets the game.[/QUOTE]

as usual.

see previous games.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Flagman5A;3873215]That 3rd down throw was the dumbest thing I have seen from this staff. Only because Detroit did that and it may have cost them the game. you'd think the coaches would have learned....

And the first half lack of time and time out management with Sanchez looking clueless, like he knows to call a time out with 20 sec to go, but was looking for permission and did not get it.....[/QUOTE]

Exactly - Sanchez needs to know after they take possesion what the plans are -

#1. Run out clock with knee or safe play call.
    #2. Call time out after a big gain or get out of bounds etc.

You can't run the play and then have the QB look to sidelines while the clock is running. That falls on coaches.

[QUOTE=tedtedthefootballhead;3873446]as usual.

see previous games.[/QUOTE]

I really believe you guys don't remember what bad clock management was...

If you disagree with this sure, but a blind man can see what they were doing in each of these situations.

And to be honest, has Rex lost any games on clock management issues? Herm had several under his belt.

real quick on the illusion of time-management issues from the game @ pitt.....let's set the stage:

the offensively challenged Jets have 0:33 seconds to drive against the tough steelers D....they execute simple pass plays..no timeout....it's very apparent the jets had no intention of scoring unless they broke one open...they were playing conservative and again..NOT trying to score...NOT trying to drive down the field..so in essence this is a red herring..not this time. but im sure the foolish media and those fans that bite will fall for it. It's coaching folks..take the score as is at 1/2 and get your young QB some confidence boosters...no time management issues there.

[QUOTE=Bearded_Achilles;3873451]real quick on the illusion of time-management issues from the game @ pitt.....let's set the stage:

the offensively challenged Jets have 0:33 seconds to drive against the tough steelers D....they execute simple pass plays..no timeout....it's very apparent the jets had no intention of scoring unless they broke one open...they were playing conservative and again..NOT trying to score...NOT trying to drive down the field..so in essence this is a red herring..not this time. but im sure the foolish media and those fans that bite will fall for it. It's coaching folks..take the score as is at 1/2 and get your young QB some confidence boosters...no time management issues there.[/QUOTE]

Exactly....

I don't know why people can't see this. And that is why I think they have forgotten what bad clock management is.

The Jets made a decision there that absolutely has good logic behind it. If you disagree with it, fine, but the decision was absolutely legitimate. I personally wish they had been more aggressive towards getting in field goal range but I'm not dumb enough to call it bad clock management. I understand what they were doing. If you break one for significant yardage, fine, but they were going to be very cautious towards keeping Sanchez into the locker room with a lot of confidence. And clearly it worked.

Actual bad clock management is exactly what happened last night with Green Bay. Calling that initial timeout with 4 and a half minutes left. Having that debacle in the last 30 seconds. Not having a 2nd play called or having the QB prepared with something. They knew all week that Flynn was going to start and he still wasn't prepared with something simple that he could go to in that situation.

At least Schotty would have multiple plays called.

the management of timeouts and challenges hasn't been good since the bye week. seems like we waste out timeouts in meaningless situations or don't use them when we actually need to. clock management has also been terrible and luckily it hasn't bitten us yet. the Jets have a hard time running the clock down when there are 3/4 min on the clock and the other team is not taking timeouts. we saw an example of that las night and we came close to losing the game because of it.

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3873450]I really believe you guys don't remember what bad clock management was...

If you disagree with this sure, but a blind man can see what they were doing in each of these situations.

And to be honest, has Rex lost any games on clock management issues? Herm had several under his belt.[/QUOTE]

last year in Miami on MNF, Jacksonville, and Atlanta can be thrown into the mix, but that was last year.

what bothers me more is the fact that we still at times struggle to get the personal groupings correct....someone has to get ripped apart when we can't line up defensively or have 10 or 12 men on the field

Someone made a great post or thread regarding this same exact issue last week. The intention of the post was to point out the fact that the offensive coach (schotty) and Rex need to be crystal clear on what the plan is in a situation like this and in clock management overall. Rex needs to be more involved. That was a mistake IMO.

Let's think about it. With 47 seconds left and no timeouts we were able to score and win the game against the Texans while they were celebrating on the sidelines. So you're telling me we can't try and at least get into position to kick a FG in a low scoring top notch defensive game? FGs are worthy in a game like this!!

****ing fig it out Rex and Schott poor Sanchez didnt know what was going on. They need to be more decisive.