Thread: Five random thoughts

All Pro

Five random thoughts

Few things I haven't seen much mention of but thought were worth tossing out there.

1) Mark Sanchez may not have figured out the long passing game yet, but he shows repeatedly the he may be the most elusive QB in the league. The guy looks like Houdini sometimes avoiding a sack to give himself a chance to make a play. As his accuracy starts to improve, that's going to be a lethal combination.

2) Steve Weatherford has figured out something that seems to elude most NFL punters. It's not THAT hard to drop a punt inside the ten yard line. Great job today pinning PIT back on at least two that I recall.

3) Brodney Pool, when healthy, is a good NFL safety. In fact, he's probably the best S on the team. We really need this guy on the field.

4) Nick Folk has his issues, but he exorcised the demon of Doug Brien today. Come on...did anyone actually expect his first FG attempt to go through the uprights? Honestly?

5) Holmes gets all the love, but Edwards is one tough mofo. He reminds me of Keyshawn...willing to make the tough block and take the tough hit. Until Holmes' drop last week, he still probably got the nod for who to keep, but at this moment, I'm leaning Bray's way.

Veteran
    To me Edwards was the MVP today.

By the way, World War III is about to start on the Korean Peninsula.

Carry on...

who says Braylon cant catch the football?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3872699]5) but Edwards is one tough mofo. He reminds me of Keyshawn...willing to make the tough block and take the tough hit. Until Holmes' drop last week, he still probably got the nod for who to keep, but at this moment, I'm leaning Bray's way.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was gonna say :D He took some hard hits today; he seems fearless. Dude is tough.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=NYJets76;3872741]who says Braylon cant catch the football?[/QUOTE]

This year no one.

So why ask? :mad:

If you score a safety with 2:38 remaining in the game. HOW ON EARTH does the other team get the ball back BEFORE the two minute warning??? Incredible. Just incredible. Greene should have had 22 carries this game.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jayjay;3872747]If you score a safety with 2:38 remaining in the game. HOW ON EARTH does the other team get the ball back BEFORE the two minute warning??? Incredible. Just incredible. Greene should have had 22 carries this game.[/QUOTE]

'Yes, we made a ton of mistakes today, we're gonna fix all that type of thing'.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=jayjay;3872747]If you score a safety with 2:38 remaining in the game. HOW ON EARTH does the other team get the ball back BEFORE the two minute warning??? [/QUOTE]

Poor balls management.

-

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jayjay;3872747]If you score a safety with 2:38 remaining in the game. HOW ON EARTH does the other team get the ball back BEFORE the two minute warning??? Incredible. Just incredible. Greene should have had 22 carries this game.[/QUOTE]

Well to be fair, they burned two timeouts in the process. And we didn't get a first down which kind of hurts but I don't blame Schotty for going for it. I'd rather go for the win, than waste a play to burn their last timeout while still leaving them two minutes on the clock.

More interesting to me was declining the penalty late in their last drive. I forget where they were, but I think it was around 3rd and 10 from the 25 with maybe 30 seconds left. I was thinking if it was better to put them at 2nd and ten from the 35 (no timeouts). It comes down to whether downs or distance were more critical at that point. Not faulting the call, but I could see a few seconds or yards more or less either way and that's a penalty you might accept.

[QUOTE=nycdan;3872699]Few things I haven't seen much mention of but thought were worth tossing out there.

1) Mark Sanchez may not have figured out the long passing game yet, but he shows repeatedly the [B]he may be the most elusive QB in the league. [/B] The guy looks like Houdini sometimes avoiding a sack to give himself a chance to make a play. As his accuracy starts to improve, that's going to be a lethal combination.

2) Steve Weatherford has figured out something that seems to elude most NFL punters. It's not THAT hard to drop a punt inside the ten yard line. Great job today pinning PIT back on at least two that I recall.

3) Brodney Pool, when healthy, is a good NFL safety. In fact, he's probably the best S on the team. We really need this guy on the field.

4) Nick Folk has his issues, but he exorcised the demon of Doug Brien today. Come on...did anyone actually expect his first FG attempt to go through the uprights? Honestly?

5) Holmes gets all the love, but Edwards is one tough mofo. He reminds me of Keyshawn...willing to make the tough block and take the tough hit. Until Holmes' drop last week, he still probably got the nod for who to keep, but at this moment, I'm leaning Bray's way.[/QUOTE]

That dog lovin QB in Philly might have something to say about that!

If you have to keep only one receiver, you have to keep Braylon Edwards. Santonio Holmes is one weed test away from leaving the league.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Jets went 3 and out and Pitt used all their TO's?

All good points. Sanchez is great in the pocket. I love watching him avoid the pressures, though it would be nice if his linemen didnt make him do that so often. If the Jets ever really work scrambling into his game, and I dont think they will since its kind of lost on todays QBs unless you are just a freak of nature like Vick, he has that Roger Staubach/Steve Young type quality about him....Their are very few punters who are able to do what Weatherford is doing this year. I think with punters once they get it they usually dont forget it so he could be a long term answer for the team at this point. His punting was the reason we won.

Edwards took some wicked hits today and just manned up every time. Im a big fan of his so Im glad he stuck it to all the guys who rip him. Huge game and I was glad to see the Jets use him in a manner other than just striding down the sidelines.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3872807]All good points. Sanchez is great in the pocket. I love watching him avoid the pressures, though it would be nice if his linemen didnt make him do that so often. If the Jets ever really work scrambling into his game, and I dont think they will since its kind of lost on todays QBs unless you are just a freak of nature like Vick, he has that Roger Staubach/Steve Young type quality about him....Their are very few punters who are able to do what Weatherford is doing this year. I think with punters once they get it they usually dont forget it so he could be a long term answer for the team at this point. His punting was the reason we won.

Edwards took some wicked hits today and just manned up every time. Im a big fan of his so Im glad he stuck it to all the guys who rip him. Huge game and I was glad to see the Jets use him in a manner other than just striding down the sidelines.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Jason. "A right-handed Steve Young" is very much what I think of when I see him scramble around. And I agree with you...it's fun to watch but most teams want robo-Peyton in the backfield. Still, they did call the keeper for him and it paid off in spades today.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3872779]Jets went 3 and out and Pitt used all their TO's?[/QUOTE]

nope, the Jets definitely threw at least one incompletion because PITT used a timeout on the Roethlisberger sack/fumble for -14 yards

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=In Rex Ryan We Trust;3872847]nope, the Jets definitely threw at least one incompletion because PITT used a timeout on the Roethlisberger sack/fumble for -14 yards[/QUOTE]

OK they used 2 TO's.

It's not hard to understand, that was the point. Used 2 TOs and we threw once.