Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Here is a big FU to the Schotty haters

Here is a big FU to the Schotty haters

[URL="http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/players-praise-schottenheimer-s-play-calling-1.2554311"]http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/players-praise-schottenheimer-s-play-calling-1.2554311[/URL]

PITTSBURGH - After a week of enduring harsh criticism for his team's inability to score points, Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer fought back the best way he knew how Sunday. The embattled assistant coach put together what his players called one of the best game plans they'd ever seen.

The result was an upset 22-17 road win over the Steelers that improved the Jets' record to 10-4 and put them in prime position to qualify for the playoffs.

"He was in the zone calling those plays," wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "At one point in the game, I looked at [right guard] Brandon Moore and it was like, 'Wow!' All the different personnel groupings in and out of the game. Everything was just clicking."

WEEK 15: Box score | Photos

JETS FAN ZONE: Blog | Tracker | Roster | Stats

Perhaps the best play call of all was this one: On fourth-and-1 from the Steelers' 7 with 5:21 to play in the third quarter, the Jets lined up in a running formation to go for the first down. Sanchez faked a handoff to running back Shonn Greene, who dived into a pile of Steelers players who bit on the fake. Sanchez then took off on a naked bootleg around left end and scored a touchdown to tie the score at 17.

"The call came in and we just made sure we'd sell it up front, sell it with the running backs," said Sanchez, who was 19-for-29 for 170 yards and didn't throw an interception. "I think Shonn just dove over the pile to try to sell it, and then once I got around, I really started to dig and there was nobody there."

Said Moore: "Schotty did a great job of play-calling. If we had done our normal deal there and run that blast play, we probably wouldn't have gotten the first down. They had everybody down there. Great call by him."

Schottenheimer, who was not available for comment because assistant coaches do not speak to reporters after games, kept the Steelers' defense off balance with a nice balance of run vs. pass. They wound up with 27 running plays and 29 pass plays, grinding out 106 rushing yards and 170 passing yards.

As effective as Schottenheimer was on game day, he was equally instrumental the night before the game.

During a meeting with all of his offensive players, he asked that they try and think of people who believed in the team, rather than those who were skeptical of their chances after poor performances against the Patriots and Dolphins the previous two weeks, in which they scored a combined nine points.

"He said to think about the people that believed in you, whether it's a brother or a family member, or the guys in the locker room," Moore said. "That's one of the first things I thought about when we walked off the field after the game.

"We're the only ones who really believed we were going to win this game. Other than some family members and friends, that was it."

Schottenheimer believed in his team, too, and the results showed. With solid play-calling after two weeks of misery that put him on the spot, the embattled coach came through.

"He was on us all week to be real precise," tight end Dustin Keller said. "You could tell he was in the zone all week. He called about as close to a perfect game as you can call."

Get a clue people...

Thanks,

Jerry Jet

Jets Insider VIP
    You are the worst poster.. ever.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE]"The call came in and we just made sure we'd sell it up front, sell it with the running backs," said Sanchez, who was 19-for-29 for 170 yards and didn't throw an interception. "I think Shonn just dove over the pile to try to sell it, and then once I got around, I really started to dig and there was nobody there."[/QUOTE]

They definitely sold me on that. I thought it was a handoff and didn't realize that Sanchez had the ball until he was way out into the open field

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

His offense scored 13 points. Yes, he was in the zone.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... shotty called a very good game today ...

... the players also helped him with their execution ...

... he also has been very poor in his playcalling for most of the season ...

l_j_r

[QUOTE=shakin318;3872920]His offense scored 13 points. Yes, he was in the zone.[/QUOTE]

He's got Wayne Hunter at Right Tackle, Matt Slauson at LG, and Mark Sanchez at QB going up against the toughest defense in the league, on the road, in the snow....

Lets not also forget how his offense sustained drives, and kept the defense off the field...

Schotty won this game for us...

[QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;3872923]... shotty called a very good game today ...

... the players also helped him with their execution ...

... he also has been very poor in his playcalling for most of the season ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

I agree, one hot day doesn't make a summer

All Pro
    [QUOTE=shakin318;3872920]His offense scored 13 points. Yes, he was in the zone.[/QUOTE]

+1

Oh wait

+2

Oh, hell....why don't I just do it for all of us

+ 10000

The flack is slowly paying off.

Crank it higher.

[QUOTE=JerryJet;3872924]He's got Wayne Hunter at Right Tackle, Matt Slauson at LG, and Mark Sanchez at QB going up against the toughest defense in the league, on the road, in the snow....

Lets not also forget how his offense sustained drives, and kept the defense off the field...

Schotty won this game for us...[/QUOTE]

I agree, we need to trade for weapons. Our offense has 0 talent. Also, I would like to point out, as 5 mile an hour winds can be tough.

What I would like to know is why Schotty hasn't been "precise" all year long. This is his 4th year or so as the offensive coordinator you would think it wouldn't take him this long to get it.

All Pro
    I don't see how this is an FU to the Shotty haters. The fact that it has to be pointed out that his game planning had to [I]change[/I], and that everyone (including the players) were [I]shocked[/I] by the play calling, proves the 'haters' point, not yours.

[QUOTE]If we had done [B]our normal deal [/B]there and run that blast play, we probably wouldn't have gotten the first down[/QUOTE]
    And notice the glaring absence of the wildcat play on 4th and 2!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 12-20-2010 at 01:35 AM.

[QUOTE]"He was in the zone calling those plays," wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "At one point in the game, I looked at [right guard] Brandon Moore and it was like, 'Wow!' All the different personnel groupings in and out of the game. Everything was just clicking."
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah, Schotty is great. That's why his players were in shock that he was: 1) calling good plays and; 2) allowing them to establish a rhythm on offense.

Schotty called a great game today. Anyone who watched the last 3 games, then watched this one could see how dramatically different this game was called. It Schotty wants to be considered a great OC, he has to do this every week.

We were all screaming to make use of the short passing game, and that's exactly what he did today. We wanted the wildcat out of the gameplan, I only remember one wildcat play all game.

In addition to Schotty's great playcalling, the O-line played the best game it has in weeks. The short passes meant that they didn't have to hold their blocks for as long, but considering the opponent, they did a great job with their run blocking today.

A similar performance against a lesser opponent would have resulted in 28+ points.

I will give Schotty his credit and admit he called a good enough game to win today, but how can anyone forget about how bad he has been? Can his ass.

[QUOTE=JerryJet;3872924]He's got Wayne Hunter at Right Tackle, Matt Slauson at LG, and Mark Sanchez at QB going up against the toughest defense in the league, on the road, in the snow....

[B]Schotty won this game for us[/B]...[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDV_HVNoAZo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDV_HVNoAZo[/URL]

Are you dense? :yes:

Youre hype about 13 points against a Troy P-less Steelers performance? Superb coordinator we've got here, he's clearly set the ball high with his past success :yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=SBIII;3872916]You are the worst poster.. ever.[/QUOTE]

:clapper:

PLEASE stop posting.

The article basically says he's BLOWN all year and FINALLY changed his playcalling style (15 f*cking weeks into the season). The players were SHOCKED his ineptness ended (for now) and so were the fans.

Yet he could still only muster 13 points against a polamalu less Pitt D and that was a trick play Sanchez rushing TD. Still no rushing or receiving TD by a RB or WR since November.

Yeah, he's a great OC. :rolleyes:
    Last edited by JetBidi; 12-20-2010 at 03:03 AM.

[QUOTE=Magnus;3872937]What I would like to know is why Schotty hasn't been "precise" all year long. This is his 4th year or so as the offensive coordinator you would think it wouldn't take him this long to get it.[/QUOTE]

+1
    He has more off days then good days.

[QUOTE=SBIII;3872916]You are the worst poster.. ever.[/QUOTE]

LOL, must be related to Schitty is the only thing I can think of

Rookie
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3872918]They definitely sold me on that. I thought it was a handoff and didn't realize that Sanchez had the ball until he was way out into the open field[/QUOTE]

+1 sick call, I was locked on Greene and then saw Sanchez booking like mad to the left. I was like holy shiz, great call by Schotty. Kept them off balance and mixed it up nicely, best game of the year by Schotty, maybe he can build of todays success.

Worm