Thread: Finally....a big call goes our way

Finally....a big call goes our way

As he has done all year, Cro was holding his a$$ off right in front of the Ref on the last play of the game, no idea how that wasnt called.

I just cant stand him, but at least he got away with it last night.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010121911/2010/REG15/jets@steelers/recap/quick-take?module=HP_headlines#tab:watch[/url]

there was never anything called so how could it have gone our way? Zebras just flat out didn't see it... we were lucky.

When the QB goes out of the pocket DBs are allowed to block/grab WR and vice versa as if the QB is going to run. Not a missed call. However giving Pitts 1st downs when they were clearly a yard and a half short 2x are missed calls

[QUOTE=Xmarco;3873136]When the QB goes out of the pocket DBs are allowed to block/grab WR and vice versa as if the QB is going to run. Not a missed call. However giving Pitts 1st downs when they were clearly a yard and a half short 2x are missed calls[/QUOTE]

I watched it like 5 times and was wondering about what the rule is, because it did look like Ben was gonna run.

Thanks for the info, didnt know that.

All Pro
    That last one seemed fine to me but I think there was a missed call against Lowery a couple of plays earlier...

They both looked like they were holding each other. If the WR had tried to break for the middle of the end zone and been held back by Cro a penalty would have been called (whether or not Ben was scrambling).

All League
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Xmarco;3873136]When the QB goes out of the pocket DBs are allowed to block/grab WR and vice versa as if the QB is going to run. Not a missed call. However giving Pitts 1st downs when they were clearly a yard and a half short 2x are missed calls[/QUOTE]

This is 1000 percent right. You can squabble over whether or not Cro was "holding" him or simply blocking him...it certainly looked like there was just as much contact by the WR as with Cro....but, once the QB leaves the pocket there is no longer a foul for "illegal contact".

[QUOTE=IndianaJet;3873164]This is 1000 percent right. You can squabble over whether or not Cro was "holding" him or simply blocking him...it certainly looked like there was just as much contact by the WR as with Cro....but, once the QB leaves the pocket there is no longer a foul for "illegal contact".[/QUOTE]

true, but they could still call holding on Cro. Personally, i think it was a good no call as it looked like both players were sort of grabbing each other.

[QUOTE=Flaming Mo;3873158]That last one seemed fine to me but I think there was a missed call against Lowery a couple of plays earlier...[/QUOTE]

Yeah that one did go our way THANKFULLY

[QUOTE=Flaming Mo;3873158]That last one seemed fine to me but I think there was a missed call against Lowery a couple of plays earlier...[/QUOTE]

This.

That missed PI call against Lowery pretty much saved the Jets season there. If the Refs caught that, it would've been 1st and goal Steelers.

THAT was very fortunate that the Jets got a NON-Call at that point. All Game long it was the Steelers getting all the Non-Calls from the Refs.

Jets Insider VIP
    The officiating was the worst I've ever seen in an NFL game.

The free first down given to Pitt in the first half was a disgrace, followed by a generous spot on the Hines Ward catch right after it. I've never seen anything like it. Penalty flags being thrown then picked up. The penalty declined that was forgotten at the end.

Amateur hour.

That is a tough call to make...

It's kind of like calling a foul in an NBA game on the last shot. If that is the 2nd or 3rd quarter, they call it, but on the last play it takes A LOT for it to be called typically.

I was more surprised that they made that call on Santonio in the Broncos game.

[QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3873207]The officiating was the worst I've ever seen in an NFL game.

The free first down given to Pitt in the first half was a disgrace, followed by a generous spot on the Hines Ward catch right after it. I've never seen anything like it. Penalty flags being thrown then picked up. The penalty declined that was forgotten at the end.

Amateur hour.[/QUOTE]

The fake first down thing was incredible. Also because of the confusion I'm not even sure the Jets D or coaching staff knew it was first down to get the proper package in and/or challenge the spot (not that they would have, but still.) Unacceptable.

[QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3873207]The officiating was the worst I've ever seen in an NFL game.

[b]Amateur hour.[/b][/QUOTE]

You should've said that in the Adam Shine voice : "What is this, Amateur Hour?" :D

BTW, you also forgot to mention the EXTRA DOWN that the Refs gave the Steelers when it should've been 4th down. Remember that? Apparently no one on that Jets staff(not Even Rex) was paying attention.

EDIT : Wait! Are you referring to what I just said with that "fake first down" business? I thought they had two 3rd downs(the Steelers) given to them...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3873214]The fake first down thing was incredible. Also because of the confusion I'm not even sure the Jets D or coaching staff knew it was first down to get the proper package in and/or challenge the spot (not that they would have, but still.) Unacceptable.[/QUOTE]
    Messing up a call is one thing (ie: judgement calls), but the mistakes they were making were shocking at that level.

Jets Insider VIP

Amateur hour.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on all counts.

As to the final play, you usually don't see flags thrown in that situation. It's not that the refs swallow their whistles, it's just that there is so much going on in those plays that it's hard to throw a penalty.

Although the refs suck, we have to remember they're human. They get excited too. They're watching an exciting game go down to the wire. They're also moving, trying to get into position to make the "right" call. Calling a questionable defensive holding penalty in that situation is not high on their priority list.

[QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3873225]Messing up a call is one thing (ie: judgement calls), but the mistakes they were making were shocking at that level.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Two in a row too! That's just failing at your job, plain and simple. You don't expect to see that kind of confusion in a college game let alone the pros.

There was another play we got lucky on, the Sanchez bootleg for TD. I think it was Turner in the end zone and he tried to trip or leg whip the defender to help Sanchez, but he missed cuz the defender thankfully wasn't close enough to him :eek:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Im guessing this would have made a lot more sense if Cro actually was guilty of holding. :rolleyes:

All League
    [QUOTE=Xmarco;3873136]When the QB goes out of the pocket DBs are allowed to block/grab WR and vice versa as if the QB is going to run. Not a missed call. [B]However giving Pitts 1st downs when they were clearly a yard and a half short[/B] 2x are missed calls[/QUOTE]

Other then the phantom first down, I thought the game was called perfect, the refs did not get in the way and let the guys play ball.