Thread: Why can't we get Keller open?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Why can't we get Keller open?

Love the win.
    Not trying to be a complainer after a big win but this is one of the great mysteries of the NY Jets offense.

We have stud receivers on the outside in Holmes & Edwards.
    We have Cotchery in the slot & teams have to respect LT out of the backfield.

Keller ALWAYS seems to have a guy draped all over him?
    Even when Sanchez gets him the ball, he's tackled immediately?

I only ask because every single team WE PLAY, the tight ends are ALWAYS open?
    It's just a curious situation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's not THAT good.

He's a nice player, but that's as far as it goes. Mentally seems to check out every now and then.

He has turned into a good blocker though. That much I will definitely give him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    suck------->Shottenheimer<--------suck

:D

I've been saying the same thing for weeks. And yet Keller's next catch will be a career high.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only a guess, but possibly they left him in, or out to try to counter the Steelers pass rush?

EDIT: Or....possibly to allow a spot for another lineman. The Steelers have a great run D, so possibly they were trying to get all the big boys in there to create some holes?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sh!tty rarely calls plays over the middle. Crossing plays, skinny posts(in the middle of the field), or any play that uses a large TE(Keller) going anywhere in the middle of the field. He love the 3,5,6 out pass to the sideline. Look at the Miami game, the db's were only playing the out pass or any pass outside of the tackle.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sch*TT head admitted that he always calls the plays with the most difficult throws for the quaterback, it seems he does this for his own edification. It seems like Rex made him go with shorter and passer friendly plays this week. Maybe before the season ends they will put in plyays that allow Keller to get open.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Opposing teams have figured out that Dustin has a hard time getting off the line of scrimmage when he is jammed , I don't know the reason for it he is strong as a ox and has great physical tools..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetster;3873444]Love the win.
    Not trying to be a complainer after a big win but this is one of the great mysteries of the NY Jets offense.

We have stud receivers on the outside in Holmes & Edwards.
    We have Cotchery in the slot & teams have to respect LT out of the backfield.

[B]Keller ALWAYS seems to have a guy draped all over him?[/B]
    Even when Sanchez gets him the ball, he's tackled immediately?

I only ask because every single team WE PLAY, the tight ends are ALWAYS open?
    It's just a curious situation.[/QUOTE]

The way our offense works sometimes, it seems like defenders are draped over everyone. I was thinking the same thing yesterday, sometimes it feels like we are actually playing 11 on 12 or 11 on 13. I know in the NFL "open" means one thing but I just cant see how don't normally get more separation.

As for Keller, part of the fact is the defense knows that he is the only tight end getting the ball. I think all of our other tight ends combined have 1 catch on the year (unless Mulligan caught one yesterday) then we would have 2...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flank him out from time to time and he will dominate..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman;3873722]Flank him out from time to time and he will dominate..[/QUOTE]

That's to me is the biggest issue with Schotty. We don't EVER play match-ups.

We have a very fast TE - split him out wide and see who covers him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman;3873722]Flank him out from time to time and he will dominate..[/QUOTE]

Perfect example of that was last night, the Pats flanked out Hernandez, Brady just had him run an up & out, break tackle, TD.

Shotty does blow.