Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Bill Cowher coaching again?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill Cowher coaching again?

Dec

11:49a
    by Ryan Hudson

When the New York Giants were 1-2 earlier this season, rumors flew about head coach Tom Coughlin's job security, or lack thereof, and the reported interest of Bill Cowher in taking over the position. But then the Giants won eight of their next 10 games, quieting Coughlin's detractors. Until Sunday.

Sunday's colossal collapse to the Philadelphia Eagles not only dropped the Giants' record to 9-5 this season, but it also reignited the Bill Cowher to New York talks, rumors which quickly spread when ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that Cowher has a "wish list" of teams he's like to coach.

According to a source close to Cowher, the strong-jawed former Pittsburgh head coach is "adamant that the New York Giants, Miami Dolphins and Houston Texans and are atop his wish list [in that order] if any of those teams should make a coaching change after the 2010 season."

Cowher has been linked to the Giants job ever since Jerome Bettis said last year "That's the team that he really coveted."

Coughlin is under contract for just one more season (the deal expires in February of 2012), according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Schefter adds "Coughlin's compensation drops by $750,000 in 2011," which Mike Florio at PFT thinks will make it easier for New York to make "an up-or-out decision ... after the current season ends."

Giants co-owner, John Mara, called reports of Cowher's supposed wish list "ridiculous."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He won't get 10 years to succeed with the Giants... I hope they make that change because it renders some of their players useless. Especially if they go to a 3-4 scheme. Plus you know Cowher will take some of those Pitt coaches, and that would weaken them. Especially if it's Lebeau. THen we'd get to see that Tomlin isn't a good coach at all.

Cowher is showing very little class too by doing this with Coughlin having the job.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3873668]He won't get 10 years to succeed with the Giants... I hope they make that change because it renders some of their players useless. Especially if they go to a 3-4 scheme. Plus you know Cowher will take some of those Pitt coaches, and that would weaken them. Especially if it's Lebeau. THen we'd get to see that Tomlin isn't a good coach at all.

Cowher is showing very little class too by doing this with Coughlin having the job.[/QUOTE]

Giants made it pretty obvious to Coughlin that they weren't going to rehire him after this year. Coughlin also said he wanted some time off from football.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3873668]He won't get 10 years to succeed with the Giants... I hope they make that change because it renders some of their players useless. Especially if they go to a 3-4 scheme. Plus you know Cowher will take some of those Pitt coaches, and that would weaken them. Especially if it's Lebeau. THen we'd get to see that Tomlin isn't a good coach at all.

Cowher is showing very little class too by doing this with Coughlin having the job.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, an overrated coach if you ask me in the grand scheme of things.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3873683]Giants made it pretty obvious to Coughlin that they weren't going to rehire him after this year. Coughlin also said he wanted some time off from football.[/QUOTE]

Coughlin said that where? Would imagine that would be much bigger news.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's just hope that Miami doesn't clean out it's front office and give Cowher full control.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3873697]Let's just hope that Miami doesn't clean out it's front office and give Cowher full control.[/QUOTE]

Sparano is a good coach.. He's actually very similar to Cowher. I'd be fine with them getting rid of Sparano because Cowher won't be THAT much better. Plus the first year would bring a bit of turnover, so they may drop back initially.

Plus I don't get why Cowher would want to coach Miami with the Jets and New England in the division. I don't know why anyone would want to coach Miami or Buffalo.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3873690]Coughlin said that where? Would imagine that would be much bigger news.[/QUOTE]

My mistake, he's under contract for 1 more year after this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3873697]Let's just hope that Miami doesn't clean out it's front office and give Cowher full control.[/QUOTE]

He's never had GM responsibilities, has he?

For all his name appeal, is he any better than a Couglin? Or a Shanahan?

That said, why would he want to coach in Miami and have to coach against the Pats and Jets? If I had the choice I would take the Houston gig. Better personnel than Miami and easier division. One injury or retirement by PM from owning the division.

Might not even take that much.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill is a smart guy. I doubt he'd like to spend 4 games a year slugging it out with Belichick and Rex Ryan. Houston is probably the ideal situation....Decent team, some young playmakers, never been to the playoffs so he could be a hero there, and Peyton Manning isn't going to play forever in your division.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3873689]Agreed, an overrated coach if you ask me in the grand scheme of things.[/QUOTE]
    And TC is underrated.

Giants jump at the chance to rip Coughlin a new one.

What's he ever done for the Giants, anyway? :rolleyes:

They were calling for his head (media & fans) when the Giants were 1-2 and piling up wins eradicated that talk.

1 heartbreaking loss - and the whole staff is on the hot seat, not in the way of fan anger, but for their very jobs.

Big Blue Shaky Psyche.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would not give a **** if he went to the Giants...I don't want him in Miami or the AFC for that matter..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;3873731]And TC is underrated.

Giants jump at the chance to rip Coughlin a new one.

What's he ever done for the Giants, anyway? :rolleyes:

They were calling for his head (media & fans) when the Giants were 1-2 and piling up wins eradicated that talk.

1 heartbreaking loss - and the whole staff is on the hot seat, not in the way of fan anger, but for their very jobs.

Big Blue Shaky Psyche.[/QUOTE]

Coughlin is the type of coach that doesn't have that winning personality thus he has to win and keep winning or he's gonzo. The Giants and the fans were in full revolt mode in training camp the year before they won the super bowl because he was too tough on the team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just can't see why he wouldn't take the Carolina job...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    He'll be in Miami next years guys.

Think about it....Big names are a big deal in Miami (Jlo, Anthony, jimmy) and we know Miami is a decent team in a division with big bravado coaches that Cowher would love to compete in with warm weather to boot and a big spotlight.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a feeling he will self destruct like Shanahan is doing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;3873813]I just can't see why he wouldn't take the Carolina job...[/QUOTE]

I heard he wants to spend less time with his family.