Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is There a Leader on Defense?

Is There a Leader on Defense?

I don't think that there is any question who the leader is on this Jets offense...Mark Sanchez is not only the leader for the offense, but this Jets teams as a whole. It was good to see the fire in his eyes again out there, something he had lost the last few games (with the possibility of not returning anytime soon).

But one thing has been bothering me for some time now... who is the leader on this defense? I used to think it was Bart Scott, but I don't believe that's the case anymore. It seems to me (at least for the 2nd half of the season) that Bart's bark has been worst than his bite!

I bring this up to say this...who is motivating this Jet defense when they need a kick in the butt? Who is telling their defensive commrades to "lean on me"? I just don't see any one person really standing up and taking that leadership position on defense. Is this a bad thing? Remarks.

david harris. the thanksgiving game where everyone was mic'ed up, Harris is the vocal leader.

All League
    i would say bart scott is that guy. revis leads with his play, scott leads with his mouth.

Practice Squad
    Don't forget Jimmy....sucks we lost him for the year

Revis, without him we would not make the playoffs. He makes everyone else better, and always makes the play, never gets beat.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

When he was healthy Big Jenks was a leader as well..:yes:

Jenkins was definitely a leader... Especially among the DL. Really sucks he got hurt and I still hope we bring him back. He'll be wearing braces so that injury isn't going to happen again. And if his back keeps him out a few games, so be it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Rich Caster;3873745]Revis, without him we would not make the playoffs. He makes everyone else better, and always makes the play, never gets beat.[/QUOTE]
    If that was true we wouldn't have won games when Revis didn't play..:confused: Although he was a huge help in the 45-3 Pat beat down..:yes:

[QUOTE=bitonti;3873738]david harris. the thanksgiving game where everyone was mic'ed up, Harris is the vocal leader.[/QUOTE]

+1 Until that replay, I actually thought my favorite player was a mute on the field. Turns out, he does a lot of talking, just not as much as Bart (and without as many penalties).

[QUOTE=Savage69;3873759]If that was true we wouldn't have won games when Revis didn't play..:confused: Although he was a huge help in the 45-3 Pat beat down..:yes:[/QUOTE]

Good point, but with out Revis are pass defense was at the bottom of the charts, forget about the first 5 games, with out Revis our defense is toast.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3873738]david harris. the thanksgiving game where everyone was mic'ed up, Harris is the vocal leader.[/QUOTE]

I could only find this [url]http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/09000d5d81c9075c/Sound-FX-Ryan-and-Jets-soar[/url] from Thanksgiving day. Do you have a link where I can hear what Harris was saying?

[QUOTE=dassin;3873824]Rex Ryan.[/QUOTE]

Dassin...Rex is a great motivator in the locker room and in meetings...but he can't be out there on the field. Who do the guys on defense rally around? Is it neccesary to have that vocal leader or can they succeed with just their play on the field?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Rich Caster;3873772]Good point, but with out Revis are pass defense was at the bottom of the charts, forget about the first 5 games, with out Revis our defense is toast.[/QUOTE]

Not taking anything away from Revis who I think is the best CB in the League but that everything is made possible by his mere presence is a bit much IMO.. Even Cro has some picks and more tackles then Revis.. And don't bother responding with the standard answer teams are scared to throw his way..

All Pro
    I think Revis is one of the leaders on defense. You can often see him being the first signaling timeout when something is wrong, you can see him talking to teammates and when you look on the bench, he is also one of the guys communicating a lot.

[QUOTE=Savage69;3873843]Not taking anything away from Revis who I think is the best CB in the League but that everything is made possible by his mere presence is a bit much IMO.. Even Cro has some picks and more tackles then Revis.. And don't bother responding with the standard answer teams are scared to throw his way..[/QUOTE]

Would Jim Leonard qualified as the leader when he was playing?

Ellis of course. Ellis is the JETS

Gholston, we are paying him millions to do something right?......anyone?????

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Vernon Gholston.

[QUOTE=TOH;3873841]Dassin...Rex is a great motivator in the locker room and in meetings...but he can't be out there on the field. Who do the guys on defense rally around? Is it neccesary to have that vocal leader or can they succeed with just their play on the field?[/QUOTE]

Rex leads the defense "on the sideline" by calling great plays down the stretch which prevented the Steelers, Vikings, Broncos, Lions, Browns from scoring game-winning FGs/TDs.

To answer your question tho - I think oddly enough, you gotta look at Jason Taylor. After that safety you can see how the other players reacted and dogpiled him. If JT keeps up that current level of play along with his HOF career (which instills immediate respect), he could be a clear leader on this unit.

Even with less than one season under his belt here, he can still be a guy that puts the team on his back at times. He definitely spoke like a leader at the press conference yesterday.