Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toughest Wild card teams?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Toughest Wild card teams?

I keep hearing about what teams the Jets do not want to see in the playoffs but I think you can turn that around & ask, "what teams want to draw the Jets or the Ravens?".

Has there ever been two teams as tough as the Jets & Ravens as the WILD CARD teams?

Jets & Ravens are two very tough proven road teams.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could make the argument that the Ravens and Jets are the 2nd and 3rd toughest teams to beat.
    After the Patriots, I think you could call the Jets, Ravens, and Steelers all pretty even. The Colts are a bit of a mystery. Some days they look formidable and others not so much.
    Whoever wins the AFC West will be the easiest playoff opponent.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, the Wild Card teams in the NFL are actually some of the best I think the NFL has ever fielded

Ravens, Jets (probably) and in the NFC...the Saints and either the Giants/Packers

those are some REALLY good teams

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's tough going into KC anytime. Dead of winter with the playoffs, I'd feel better if Schottenheimer was still coaching out there.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ravens would definitely be the worst

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetster;3873905]I keep hearing about what teams the Jets do not want to see in the playoffs but I think you can turn that around & ask, "what teams want to draw the Jets or the Ravens?".
    [B]
    Has there ever been two teams as tough as the Jets & Ravens as the WILD CARD teams?[/B]Jets & Ravens are two very tough proven road teams.[/QUOTE]

Umm....last season? :)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a chance that this will be only the 2nd time in NFL history that 2 WC teams in the same conference had a 12-4 or better record. The first time was in 2001 with the 12-4 Packers and Niners.

The best record for a WC team ever was the 1999 Titans that went to the SB. They were 13-3.
    Last edited by SMC; 12-20-2010 at 08:46 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a Patriots fan, I can say that the only two potential AFC playoff teams that don't really worry me at all are the Steelers and Jaguars. The Chargers probably scare me the most, but the Colts, Jets, Ravens and even the Chiefs all inspire fear.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsCrazey;3873925]You could make the argument that the Ravens and Jets are the 2nd and 3rd toughest teams to beat.
    After the Patriots, I think you could call the Jets, Ravens, and Steelers all pretty even. The Colts are a bit of a mystery. Some days they look formidable and others not so much.
    [B]Whoever wins the AFC West will be the easiest playoff opponent[/B].[/QUOTE]

I mean, if it's the Chiefs, then yeah.

IMO, the Chargers scare me more than anybody outside of the Patriots.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AFCEastFan;3874207]As a Patriots fan, I can say that the only two potential AFC playoff teams that don't really worry me at all are the Steelers and Jaguars. The Chargers probably scare me the most, but the Colts, Jets, Ravens and even the Chiefs all inspire fear.[/QUOTE]

Why are you more scared of the Chiefs than the Steelers?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;3874255]Why are you more scared of the Chiefs than the Steelers?[/QUOTE]

The Patriots really have the Steelers number. LeBeau's defense in general, and Troy Polamalu in particular, have never really been very effective against a Brady-led offense. I think the Patriots can put 30+ points on them in their sleep. And I just don't think the Steelers' offense is explosive enough to match the Patriots point-for-point.

The Chiefs, on the other hand, between Pioli, Cassel and Vrabel, have excellent knowledge of the Patriots' methods, personnel, offense and defense. I think that the Browns' familiarity with the Patriots played a major role in their wipeout of the Pats earlier this year. And I think that the Chiefs have a similar level of familiarity with the Patriots, but quite a bit more talent than the Browns.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I was a Pats fan, I would laugh if the Pats played the Steelers too.

They own them.

Only team I wouldn't be worried about in the playoffs would be the Jags

everybody else.....Colts...Chargers..Pats...Ravens...Steelers

I could honestly see any of those teams in the Super Bowl

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=I against I;3873951]It's tough going into KC anytime. Dead of winter with the playoffs, I'd feel better if Schottenheimer was still coaching out there.[/QUOTE]

My biggest concern about having to go to KC would be the atmosphere. As far as on the field, I think we can neutralize their running game and we know that Bowe would be shut down by Revis....so that leaves Cassell to hurt us with his feet.

I think we are a better team though this year than last heading into the playoffs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AFCEastFan;3874274]The Patriots really have the Steelers number. LeBeau's defense in general, and Troy Polamalu in particular, have never really been very effective against a Brady-led offense. I think the Patriots can put 30+ points on them in their sleep. And I just don't think the Steelers' offense is explosive enough to match the Patriots point-for-point.

The Chiefs, on the other hand, between Pioli, Cassel and Vrabel, have excellent knowledge of the Patriots' methods, personnel, offense and defense. I think that the Browns' familiarity with the Patriots played a major role in their wipeout of the Pats earlier this year. And I think that the Chiefs have a similar level of familiarity with the Patriots, but quite a bit more talent than the Browns.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Pats absolutely own the Steelers.

The Pats are a bad matchup for them. I can see the Chiefs giving the Pats trouble because of the familiarity of the coaching staffs.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frankiepapa;3874550]My biggest concern about having to go to KC would be the atmosphere. As far as on the field, I think we can neutralize their running game and we know that Bowe would be shut down by Revis....so that leaves Cassell to hurt us with his feet.

I think we are a better team though this year than last heading into the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

I've watched a lot of Chiefs football this year. They are a solid team, not scary or spectacular but very steady and disciplined. Offensively they are IMO a better team than the Jets. Charles is a legit stud at RB and Jones and Charles are arguably the best one-two running punch in the league. Cassel doesn't have a big arm but he's developed a really nice mid-range touch and he rarely turns the ball over. Bowe is a dangerous receiver, especially at YAC (he still drops too many passes though). The rest of the receiving corps is competent but mediocre.

Defensively they're kind of average but they don't give up a lot of points and they're near the top of the league in turnover differential.

They are very capable of beating the Jets and at home would be a favorite as of today, IMO.
    Last edited by Rocky Raccoon; 12-21-2010 at 10:12 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only teams that scare me are KC and San Diego. I think the Pats can handle anyone else.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Rocky, I swear each time I attempt to read your posts, I am unable to 'cause my eyes are always drawn to your Avatar. Don't you want people to read what you have to say instead of staring at your Avy's boobies? :D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vin;3874730]^ Rocky, I swear each time I attempt to read your posts, I am unable to 'cause my eyes are always drawn to your Avatar. Don't you want people to read what you have to say instead of staring at your Avy's boobies? :D[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem. That's why my posts have so many typos. :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Rocky Raccoon;3874733]I have the same problem. That's why my posts have so many typos. :D[/QUOTE]

[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/customavatars/avatar26231_1.gif[/img][img]http://mikemywords.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/got-milk.jpg[/img]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AFCEastFan;3874207]As a Patriots fan, I can say that the only two potential AFC playoff teams that don't really worry me at all are the Steelers and Jaguars. The Chargers probably scare me the most, but the Colts, Jets, Ravens and even the Chiefs all inspire fear.[/QUOTE]

WOW -so many Pat fans hanging out on JI. ....don't you guys have a board of your own?

I know this place rocks, but damn. ...