Thread: Why does everyone try to "fake spike" the Jets?

Jets Insider VIP

Why does everyone try to "fake spike" the Jets?

Does this happen more often than I think it does? We painfully remember Marino back in the mid-90's victimizing us, but I think I've seen it attempted twice on us this year (Brady, Roethlisberger).

What gives? :dunno:

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3873921]Does this happen more often than I think it does? We painfully remember Marino back in the mid-90's victimizing us, but I think I've seen it attempted twice on us this year (Brady, Roethlisberger).

What gives? :dunno:[/QUOTE]

Brady tried the fake spike against miami, not us.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Funaz;3873924]Brady tried the fake spike against miami, not us.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, you are absolutely right! I chalk up my bad memory to post victory traumatic shock syndrome. :D

But still, is this happening more often now or just a weird coincidence that we're seeing several teams attempting this in 2010?

Yeah, they do it to us every 16 years.:P

BTW, Pennington executed a great fake spike against Buffalo in 2007 that put the Jets in FG range near the end of the first half. Unfortunately, Nugent missed the FG and the Jets went on to lose.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3873921]Does this happen more often than I think it does? We painfully remember Marino back in the mid-90's victimizing us, but I think I've seen it attempted twice on us this year (Brady, Roethlisberger).

I think it's rarely successful so you don't see it on highlight reels or anything and you don't remember it when it happens in games between teams we don't know.

it hits right at the psyche of the SOJ syndrome...but it didn't work and the Steelers lost

Perhaps Dan Marino has been getting in the ear of some people whining about how he "victimized" the Jets with that play and how effective it could be since it is a play rarely run.

He's a Jackass.

[QUOTE=jetlifer;3874004]it hits right at the psyche of the SOJ syndrome...but it didn't work and the Steelers lost[/QUOTE]

Credit the two Jets Defenders for not being fooled and staying with Wallace there.

The Marino fake spike was actually Bernie Kosar's idea and was probably one of the worst games in Jets history considering the tailspin the team went into afterwards resulting in the hiring of Rich Kotite.

If that play is going to work on anyone after that it isn't the Jets.

Because we're the only jackwagons who would fall for something like that.

^^ [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2lv376afIQ&feature=player_embedded[/url]

All League
    [QUOTE=jetlifer;3874004][B]it hits right at the psyche of the SOJ [/B]syndrome...but it didn't work and the Steelers lost[/QUOTE]

Exactly:mad: plus It reminds me of tequila, drank way too much 1 night in college, now if i get the slightest wiff, instant gag reflex!

better question...why does CBS show that **** during a Jets/Steeler game..who gives a F already. enough.

When something works, people stick with it.