Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting playoffs scenario... 1st or 6th?

Rookie

Interesting playoffs scenario... 1st or 6th?

I was playing around with the ESPN playoff machine and noticed an interesting scenario. Forgive me if this has been discussed already...

If the Jets, Steelers, and Ravens win out, and the Pats lose out the Jets would be the number 1 seed overall. BUT if the Pats were to lose to the Bills and finish the Fins off with a win the Jets would fall to the 6th seed.

I think this is a pretty crazy thing, such a sway from 1st to 6th with such a high record.

Just to note, I do not believe this scenario will play out even close to this in actual, I just thought it was an interesting possibility.

It's possible, although highly unlikely.

The Pasts looked terrible yesterday.

With Rodgers out there it would have been a massacre...

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3874014]

With Rodgers out there it would have been a massacre...[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but I think that overconfidence regarding, and little film on, Flynn played at least a small role in the Patriots' poor performance.

[QUOTE=AFCEastFan;3874017]Maybe, but I think that overconfidence regarding, and little film on, Flynn played at least a small role in the Patriots' poor performance.[/QUOTE]

Entirely possible.

I know the feeling. We've made uknown QB's look like HOF's for quite some time...

[QUOTE=GreekMooMan;3874000]I was playing around with the ESPN playoff machine and noticed an interesting scenario. Forgive me if this has been discussed already...

If the Jets, Steelers, and Ravens win out, and the Pats lose out the Jets would be the number 1 seed overall. BUT if the Pats were to lose to the Bills and finish the Fins off with a win the Jets would fall to the 6th seed.

I think this is a pretty crazy thing, such a sway from 1st to 6th with such a high record.

Just to note, I do not believe this scenario will play out even close to this in actual, I just thought it was an interesting possibility.[/QUOTE]

So, I guess what you're trying to say is that you think Wild Card teams should be seeded above Division Winners as long as they have a better record.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3874034]Entirely possible.

I know the feeling. We've made uknown QB's look like HOF's for quite some time...[/QUOTE]

Flynn??? Where's Mo Lewis?

All League
    [QUOTE=GreekMooMan;3874000]
    Just to note, I do not believe this scenario will play out even close to this in actual, I just thought it was an interesting possibility.[/QUOTE]Well yeah. If you don't win your division you're either a 5 or 6 seed.

Another "Interesting" Playoff scenario :

If the Jets win the rest of their games, they're in the playoffs guaranteed. :eek:

:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=Vin;3874056]Another "Interesting" Playoff scenario :

If the Jets win the rest of their games, they're in the playoffs guaranteed. :eek:

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

just one. lol.

The Bills are not going to be a layup game for either the Patriots or the Jets. After starting 0-8 they have gone 4-2 for their last 6 games.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3874046]So, I guess what you're trying to say is that you think Wild Card teams should be seeded above Division Winners as long as they have a better record.[/QUOTE]

No, certainly not... the wild card teams should be the 5th and 6th seed.

In this scenario there would either be 4 teams with a 12-4 record, and two of them taking the wild cards, or three 12-4 teams and one 13-3, again 2 of the 12-4 teams get the wild card. This in itself is crazy, add to that the fact that if 4 teams tied 12-4 the Jets would take the #1 seed, yet if just that one team grabs 13-3 the Jets drop all the way down to the 6 seed...

All League
    Its funny that the Jets could finish as the 6th seed with 12 wins while the winner of the NFC West will have a home playoff game and may only finish with 6-7 wins.

Thats the NFL though....you win your division you deserve a home playoff game, regardless of how good or bad your division is.

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;3874046]So, I guess what you're trying to say is that you think Wild Card teams should be seeded above Division Winners as long as they have a better record.[/QUOTE]

Mad dog says that change is in for next year, in his opinion. Also due to crazy NFC seeding.

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;3874162]Mad dog says that change is in for next year, in his opinion. Also due to crazy NFC seeding.[/QUOTE]

The logic here is the division win gets you into the plaoffs, but does not detrmine seeding. I think that's fair.

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;3874162]Mad dog says that change is in for next year, in his opinion. Also due to crazy NFC seeding.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind seeing that.

All League
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;3874167]I wouldn't mind seeing that.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good idea now but it works both ways.

Remember 2002 (January 2003 playoffs)?

The 9-7 division winning Jets hosted a 1st round game against the 10-6 wild card Indianapolis Colts.

[QUOTE=IndianaJet;3874177]Sounds like a good idea now but it works both ways.

The 9-7 division winning Jets hosted a 1st round game against the 10-6 wild card Indianapolis Colts.[/QUOTE]

Best game I ever went to.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=IndianaJet;3874177]Sounds like a good idea now but it works both ways.

The 9-7 division winning Jets hosted a 1st round game against the 10-6 wild card Indianapolis Colts.[/QUOTE]

It will be interesting if and how they change it. There's a lot on the NFL's plate this offseason with the CBA so they might not even address it.

They could seed based on record and have the top 4 seeds have home games, or they can have all the division winners have home games if they have winning records.

Don't know if the NFC Worst will be enough to motivate the powers that be to make a change.

All League
    [QUOTE=Heynowguy;3874166]The logic here is the division win gets you into the plaoffs, but does not detrmine seeding. I think that's fair.[/QUOTE]

I could live with that. If you win your division you deserve to make the playoffs, regardless of how bad it is. This will only be the first time ever a team will probably win their division with a losing record since the merger, so its not like this happens all the time.

All League
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SMC;3874187]It will be interesting if and how they change it. There's a lot on the NFL's plate this offseason with the CBA so they might not even address it.

They could seed based on record and have the top 4 seeds have home games, or they can have all the division winners have home games if they have winning records.

Don't know if the NFC Worst will be enough to motivate the powers that be to make a change.[/QUOTE]

When I think this through though....I'd rather have them re-seed the 1st round so that wild card teams with better records than division winners get to host in the first round.

Think about it. I would be more pissed having to go on the road as a 12-4 team to and 8-8 team then if I were the division winner at 8-8.

Why? Because deep down I probably know that my 8-8 team has no real shot. Whereas the 12-4 team stuck on the road all playoffs would have a better chance of going all the way...

If they change the rule though....what will happen next year when the Jets go 16-0 and the Pats go 14-2. Would the Pats be the #2 seed as the wildcard?