Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did they make the eagles kick the extra point?

Why did they make the eagles kick the extra point?

Why did they make the eagles kick the extra point?

There was zero time on the clock, the game was over. In overtime, there is no kicking of the extra point, why here?

It wasn't sudden death.

Rules.

he scored in regulation.

[QUOTE=daCHAMPisHERE;3874168]he scored in regulation.[/QUOTE]

But there was zero time on the clock and no way the Giants coud get the ball back. It's like making the visting team pitch the ninth inning when the home team is ahead. Or playing the whole 7 game playoff after a team is ahead 4-0. Its not right to make teams play when the game is over.

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;3874169]But there was zero time on the clock and no way the Giants coud get the ball back. It's like making the visting team pitch the ninth inning when the home team is ahead. Or playing the whole 7 game playoff after a team is ahead 4-0. Its not right to make teams play when the game is over.[/QUOTE]

I'll see if I can get the rule changed for you.

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;3874160]Why did they make the eagles kick the extra point?

There was zero time on the clock, the game was over. In overtime, there is no kicking of the extra point, why here?[/QUOTE]

David Akers wanted the extra work.

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;3874169]But there was zero time on the clock and no way the Giants coud get the ball back. It's like making the visting team pitch the ninth inning when the home team is ahead. Or playing the whole 7 game playoff after a team is ahead 4-0. Its not right to make teams play when the game is over.[/QUOTE]

That's the rule.

I think I remember a game where the Pats lost on the last play of the game and Bellichick ran off the field and refused to have his team come back on to defend the extra point. Other team just kicked it with like five defensive players out there standing around.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3874179]I think I remember a game where the Pats lost on the last play of the game and Bellichick ran off the field and refused to have his team come back on to defend the extra point. Other team just kicked it with like five defensive players out there standing around.[/QUOTE]

Its also required by rule that Belichick act like a doosh at all times. Chapter 8, Rule 17.21.3

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;3874179]I think I remember a game where the Pats lost on the last play of the game and Bellichick ran off the field and refused to have his team come back on to defend the extra point. Other team just kicked it with like five defensive players out there standing around.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember that. I do remember in a pre-Belichick Patriot game against the Bills, where the Bills were upset with some questionable calls on a game-ending TD drive and stormed off the field before the extra point. Vinatieri ran in for an unopposed 2 point conversion.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3874176]That's the rule.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

I don't know why it's so hard to understand.

There is no extra point kicked in overtime because it's sudden death. The first team to score wins, be it FG, TD, or safety.

If a team scores a TD in regulation, even if the time expired, the team has to kick the extra point.

If the Eagles were down 2 TDs and scored a TD on the punt return, they would have still required them to kick the PAT with no time left even if they were going to lose. Those are the rules.

All League
    Could be wrong but I think its gambling related

All Pro

There was zero time on the clock, the game was over. In overtime, there is no kicking of the extra point, why here?[/QUOTE]

Give up watching football, you're no good at it. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Akers was my fantasy kicker so I thought it was a good idea.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=BRONX JET;3874198]Could be wrong but I think its gambling related[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but I thought it had to do with tie-breaker at end of year.

Great question! I was thinking the same exact thing!

I am still not convinced it wasn't a mistake by the refs. It used to be under the old rules that if a TD was scored with no time left on the clock and it put a team ahead by only 1 or 2 points they would make them line up for it since it used to be if the other team returned a blocked extra point for a TD it would be 2 points for them. I know that rule no longer applies but I believe it still does in college football.

[QUOTE=BRONX JET;3874198]Could be wrong but I think its gambling related[/QUOTE]

Of course it is. You need to make a rule on that one way or another. In this game though it wouldn't have mattered spread-wise.

All League
    It's for Vegas. :yes:

PAT is an untimed down, so it must happen in regulation even if time has expired.

Officially, this rule exists since net points vs. common opponents is one of the playoff tiebreakers.

But in reality, as Bronx Jet stated--this is a rule that exists as a favor to gamblers.