Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why did they make the eagles kick the extra point?

[QUOTE=Kotch;3874398]PAT is an untimed down, so it must happen in regulation even if time has expired.

[B]Officially, this rule exists since net points vs. common opponents is one of the playoff tiebreakers.

But in reality, as Bronx Jet stated--this is a rule that exists as a favor to gamblers.[/B][/QUOTE]

That's it right there. The official reason and the real reason.

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;3874169]But there was zero time on the clock and no way the Giants coud get the ball back. It's like making the visting team pitch the ninth inning when the home team is ahead. Or playing the whole 7 game playoff after a team is ahead 4-0. Its not right to make teams play when the game is over.[/QUOTE]

It's in the rule book. Otherwise, who cares unless you bet the over/under.

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;3874179]I think I remember a game where the Pats lost on the last play of the game and Bellichick ran off the field and refused to have his team come back on to defend the extra point. Other team just kicked it with like five defensive players out there standing around.[/QUOTE]

Actually its the other way around.. It was almost 10 years ago in the old stadium.. And i think it was against the dolphins.. Dolphins didn't want to come out.. Pats took the point..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

They should have gone for the 2 point conversion. Would have been the ultimate FU.

[QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3874727]They should have gone for the 2 point conversion. Would have been the ultimate FU.[/QUOTE]

That's a hilarious thought!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetglass;3874355]Great question! I was thinking the same exact thing!

I am still not convinced it wasn't a mistake by the refs. [/QUOTE]

Further proof that posting a reply in a thread does not require reading other posts in a thread.

Veteran
    Pardon my ignorance but what happens if the team kicking the extra point has it blocked or fumbles and the other team picks it up and takes it back into their endzone?

I think in college the play is blown dead. Same in the NFL?

[QUOTE=GoBigGreen;3874902]Pardon my ignorance but what happens if the team kicking the extra point has it blocked or fumbles and the other team picks it up and takes it back into their endzone?

I think in college the play is blown dead. Same in the NFL?[/QUOTE]

The play is dead if that happens. Correct.

do you people who respond "because it's the rule" realize that you're zero value added??