Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rex ryan is licking his chops right now

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;3874705]Oh oh, now you've done it. Based on your prediction history, Jets will now lose by six touchowns and a 2 pt. conversion.....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Gronk, why are you still here?

Why do you hang out here and not with your Patsie brethren? Don't you have a messageboard of your own to go to?

wow.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hamburglar;3874625]Wont argue on the safeties, at least with Smith/Leonard. As for the pass rushers, Thomas and Pace both ran mega fast forties and Taylor is, even if hes old, one of the best speed rushers ever...And as said above, this horrible Jet defense is:

5th in Points Allowed
    5th in Total Yards Allowed
    5th in Yards per Pass Allowed
    3rd in Yards per Rush Allowed
    10th in Sacks
    8th in Takeaways (1st in Fumbles, Last in Interceptions)
    1st in Safeties (Not that relevant)
    12th in 3rd down %

The only area where the team is bad is covering TEs and intercepting passes. If our defense is horrible I wonder how bad other ones are.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you saying that we are still ok in terms of total defense. Yet we are far from being as good as our head coach wants us to be and how good we need to be in order to live up to our identity.

40 times mean nothing in terms of football speed, just look at our friend Vernon Gholston. Pace and Thomas arent great pass rushers, they are solid but that is it. Taylor is like a million years old and while he has made some great plays throughout the year, in general he was invincible and not nearly good enough to justify all the snaps that he gets.

Harris and Scott are both tremendous inside linebackers and are a main reason why we are so good against the run. They are downhill hitters who shoot gaps and blow up everything coming at them. They are not good in coverage though and we dont have the athletic safeties to cover for them inside the numbers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    here's my prediction

cutler will have all damn day to throw

like every qb we face

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vin;3874723]Gronk, why are you still here?

Why do you hang out here and not with your Patsie brethren? Don't you have a messageboard of your own to go to?

wow.[/QUOTE]

Not into monotonous cheer leaders. Much rather ride the rollar coaster that is JI. You can't can't buy this kind of entertainment.

That's why.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3874634]Good point the Bears have 32 sacks and we only have 35..Wait..:huh:[/QUOTE]

I'd rather have 32 sacks with most of those coming from a 4 man rush and getting pressure from 4 than having to blitz like maniac to get pressure. One only has to have watched what kind of pressure we get with our base rush, very little.

The Bears have had 1 sack from their secondary.
    The Jets have had 10 sacks from our secondary.
    Last edited by Beerfish; 12-21-2010 at 11:21 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3874751]I'd rather have 32 sacks with most of those coming from a 4 man rush and getting pressure from 4 than having to blitz like maniac to get pressure. One only has to have watched what kind of pressure we get with our base rush, very little.

The Bears have had 1 sack from their secondary.
    The Jets have had 10 sacks from our secondary.[/QUOTE]

Well I dont think anybody is suggesting that the Jets 4 man rush beats the Bears 4 man rush. The fact that the Jets have roughly the same level of pass D production that the Bears do means that they have a lot better secondary than do the Bears. The base pass rush is something to address in the offseason, but for now who cares how the team gets it done so long as they ultimately do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hamburglar;3874798]Well I dont think anybody is suggesting that the Jets 4 man rush beats the Bears 4 man rush. The fact that the Jets have roughly the same level of pass D production that the Bears do means that they have a lot better secondary than do the Bears. The base pass rush is something to address in the offseason, but for now who cares how the team gets it done so long as they ultimately do.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, but that was not the theme of the thread. The theme was the Jets licking their chops to get at Cutler. They can get to him but they'll have to blitz to do it.

The good thing is if the Jets can get after Cutler he'll throw picks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3874600]Licking our chops? We have shown all year that the Jets cannot at all get any pressure rushing 3 or 4. Bears d-line >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jets D-line as far as generating a pass rush.[/QUOTE]

Tough comparison to make as we completely different systems. Chicago's base defense is a 4-3, with the pass rush coming from the defensive ends. The Jets show a lot of fronts, but our best pass rushers are the outside linebackers, not the defensive ends or nose tackle, which is the defensive line.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hamburglar;3874625]Wont argue on the safeties, at least with Smith/Leonard. As for the pass rushers, Thomas and Pace both ran mega fast forties and Taylor is, even if hes old, one of the best speed rushers ever...And as said above, this horrible Jet defense is:

5th in Points Allowed
    5th in Total Yards Allowed
    5th in Yards per Pass Allowed
    3rd in Yards per Rush Allowed
    10th in Sacks
    8th in Takeaways (1st in Fumbles, Last in Interceptions)
    1st in Safeties (Not that relevant)
    12th in 3rd down %

The only area where the team is bad is covering TEs and intercepting passes. If our defense is horrible I wonder how bad other ones are.[/QUOTE]

Good post. People here sure complain a lot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3874863]I agree with you, but that was not the theme of the thread. The theme was the Jets licking their chops to get at Cutler. They can get to him but they'll have to blitz to do it.

The good thing is if the Jets can get after Cutler he'll throw picks.[/QUOTE]

The theme was Rex was licking his chops you changed it to the Jets.. And I'm sure Rex licks not only his chops,but his chicken,steaks and Pretzel M&M's as well..:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3875062]Tough comparison to make as we completely different systems. Chicago's base defense is a 4-3, with the pass rush coming from the defensive ends. The Jets show a lot of fronts, but our best pass rushers are the outside linebackers, not the defensive ends or nose tackle, which is the defensive line.[/QUOTE]

We get zero pass rush when we are sending 4 guys. We have sent 4 a fair bit the last few games and get no pressure at all. Heck we don't get a ton of pressure when we send 5. We simply don't have any real good natural pass rushers. Pace will get his share, Taylor is about the closest we have to a pass rusher and he is long in the tooth. We have not one pass rusher that even remotely scares the other team. We get pressure and sacks because our CBs are tremendous.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3875066]Good post. People here sure complain a lot.[/QUOTE]

Well the goal is to win the super bowl. To do so you have to beat the best teams in the league. Teams that knock Manning and Brady around without having to send the house can at least control those offenses. Teams that can't get shredded as we did last game against the Pats.

We do not have a good enough offense (pick Your reason, coaching, QB whatever you wish) to hang with the big boys thus we have to have a good enough defense to make up for it. We very nearly lost the last game because we generated zero pass rush at the end. (A good part was Rex's fault for a passive scheme.)

A team that wants to be a champion is always looking to get better and is never content with 'we are pretty good'.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have clueless tools here who think a DE's job is to Sumo wrestle at the line and leave everything to the LBs. They call that "stopping the play" LOL.

All they stop is themselves.

Meanwhile, Sanchez is getting hammered by DEs who bounce off Ts and Gs and keep their arms free to make plays. Which is what Callahan needs to teach, but doesn't.

Been saying this for how long?
    Last edited by innerjet; 12-21-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3875328]Well the goal is to win the super bowl. To do so you have to beat the best teams in the league. Teams that knock Manning and Brady around without having to send the house can at least control those offenses. Teams that can't get shredded as we did last game against the Pats.

We do not have a good enough offense (pick Your reason, coaching, QB whatever you wish) to hang with the big boys thus we have to have a good enough defense to make up for it. We very nearly lost the last game because we generated zero pass rush at the end. (A good part was Rex's fault for a passive scheme.)

A team that wants to be a champion is always looking to get better and is never content with 'we are pretty good'.[/QUOTE]

No, I understand that, and I criticize the Jets when I think they deserve it. The pass rush in particular isn't as good as it could be, or should be. But some of the posters here are saying the defensive line sucks, the linebackers suck and the secondary sucks. That's just being a hater. If all three units of the defense were that bad, we'd be in the 20's or 30's in points allowed. Hamburglar just pointed out that we're top-5 or top-10 in nearly every defensive statistical category.