Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Observations from Bears-Vikes

2 Observations from Bears-Vikes

Two things really stood out last night and neither of them bode well for the big picture of our offense.

First off, if anyone wants to defend shottenheimer they should go watch a tape of that game. The Bears WRs were open a LOT last night and if you compare our talent to theirs its embarassing. Yes martz is very good, but seriously....earl bennet and johnny knox????? Yet we cant get braylon and santonio open on a regular basis down the field? And yes, that was in the rain/snow as well.

Secondly, when Webb came into the game, Gruden and Jaws couldnt stop talking about how any coach with a brain simplifies things for a young QB and focuses on using play action. Yet where is our play action passing game, and utilization of the Tight End? Any rollouts with a run option?

I hate harping on Schottys shortcomings, but I just dont see how he cant make changes with the plays. Keller hasnt been involved in weeks, and its not weather, or sanchez (for the most part), its our awful awful play calling. We have the tools to succeed yet we cant score a td for 3 weeks????

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

There's something to it, but Martz is great at getting receivers space, and more importantly, they were able to run the ball - its a lot easier to get open when the D has to respect the run. I do agree that we've got to get Keller more involved in the O - one thing Schotty hasn't done, though he started to a little bit Sunday, is throw the short 'guaranteed completions' early on, that get the QB/offense in a rhythm and get the ball into the hands of guys like Keller and Edwards early.

On your point about simplifying, Sanchez has had 2 training camps and almost 2 full seasons as the starter, very different situation than Joe Webb, a third stringer who doesn't have much experience running their own offense.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

All League
    [QUOTE=isired;3874509]There's something to it, but Martz is great at getting receivers space, and more importantly, they were able to run the ball - [B]its a lot easier to get open when the D has to respect the run[/B].[/QUOTE]

Opposing defenses ALWAYS have 8 or 9 in the box against us... receivers still can't get open.

Can't wait till we have a real OC some day.

YES! Another Schotty thread!

Every team is great on offense except us!

That was the best game for the Bears all season...by far. Also, I'm not sure what the problem is with their receivers...Knox in particular is stupid fast.

All League
    Here's the common thread. The one thing that all those teams that "seem" to have better offenses than the Jets. A better QB. You can have Jerry Rice and Randy Moss in their primes, and you won't succeed without a good QB. Its like trying to eat without arms.

[QUOTE=Much ado about Nothing;3874547]YES! Another Schotty thread!

Every team is great on offense except us!

That was the best game for the Bears all season...by far. Also, I'm not sure what the problem is with their receivers...Knox in particular is stupid fast.[/QUOTE]

Not ripping knox.....but is he as fast or close to as good as Santonio?

Its just that we have used every excuse in the book this year...bad weather, inaccurate qb, Oline issues, all things the Bears had last night to a much worse degree, yet they had no problem putting 35 points on the board.

[QUOTE=patsfanken;3874562]Its like trying to eat without arms.[/QUOTE]

:shakehead

[QUOTE=eaglenj;3874564]Not ripping knox.....but is he as fast or close to as good as Santonio?

Its just that we have used every excuse in the book this year...bad weather, inaccurate qb, Oline issues, all things the Bears had last night to a much worse degree, yet they had no problem putting 35 points on the board.[/QUOTE]

Vikings mailed it in. Half that team didn't even want to play 15 minutes let alone 60.
    When favre went down & fell asleep do you really think that anyone on that Vikings team thought they had a shot?
    Vikings were just trying to avoid contact in the freezing whether. No one wants to get hurt in an absolutely meaningless game.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;3874564]Not ripping knox.....but is he as fast or close to as good as Santonio?

Its just that we have used every excuse in the book this year...bad weather, inaccurate qb, Oline issues, all things the Bears had last night to a much worse degree, yet they had no problem putting 35 points on the board.[/QUOTE]

And yet somehow their offense is ranked right with our offense...that's with all that great, innovative playcalling and a QB that's been in the league 3 more years than ours has.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3874562]Here's the common thread. The one thing that all those teams that "seem" to have better offenses than the Jets. A better QB. You can have Jerry Rice and Randy Moss in their primes, and you won't succeed without a good QB. Its like trying to eat without arms.[/QUOTE]

Or think without brains.

So how you been ken?

:alien:

Play action only really works when you are running the ball effectively. We have no idea how open our receivers are getting without watching game tape. Our QB may be throwing to covered players but that doesn't mean people are not open. We also have had a good dose of the QB missing open receivers and receivers dropping the ball this year.

Here is a question for you. For how long do you 'simplfy' and offense for a QB? 1/2 year?, 1 year?, 2 years? 4 years?

When the Jets block well, receivers don't drop passes and the QB plays even reasonably well the Jets win. That is execution of plays.

I'm not saying our OC is all world but comparing Jay Cutler throwing against a team down to their 3rd and 4th string corners to the Jets is not that valid.

The Bears offense started 6 drives in Minnesota territory yesterday, including 2 inside the Vikings 15 (no TDs on those 2 drives). They came away with a total of 4 field goals and 1 touchdown.

That combined with a return TD made their offense look a whole lot better than it really was.

Cutler completed 75% of short passes this season.
    That's not a Shotty thing, that's a Sanchez thing. Cutler beat the Vikings with the accurate short passing game, with the occasional downfield throw. Shotty can't call that kind of game because Sanchez only completes 60% of short passes.

I'm not making excuses for Shotty, because he has some serious issues. But he is quite hamstrung by Sanchez lack of accuracy.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;3874497]Two things really stood out last night and neither of them bode well for the big picture of our offense.

First off, if anyone wants to defend shottenheimer they should go watch a tape of that game. The Bears WRs were open a LOT last night and if you compare our talent to theirs its embarassing. Yes martz is very good, but seriously....earl bennet and johnny knox????? Yet we cant get braylon and santonio open on a regular basis down the field? And yes, that was in the rain/snow as well.

Secondly, when Webb came into the game, Gruden and Jaws couldnt stop talking about how any coach with a brain simplifies things for a young QB and focuses on using play action. Yet where is our play action passing game, and utilization of the Tight End? Any rollouts with a run option?

I hate harping on Schottys shortcomings, but I just dont see how he cant make changes with the plays. Keller hasnt been involved in weeks, and its not weather, or sanchez (for the most part), its our awful awful play calling. We have the tools to succeed yet we cant score a td for 3 weeks????[/QUOTE]

Didn't Chicago throw for less than 200 yards???

Sorry, but I don't want to emulate anything that offense does.

[QUOTE=Much ado about Nothing;3874584]And yet somehow their offense is ranked right with our offense...that's with all that great, innovative playcalling and a QB that's been in the league 3 more years than ours has.[/QUOTE]

The Bears are getting better. The Jets are getting worse. They implemented a new system with a new QB this year. It takes time - but by week 15 they are starting to play better offensive football..

Where as the Jets offense scores 13 points and we're all calling it the best game they played in two months and talking about good our OC was...Please!!! 13 points is 13 points I don't care what the weather is and who you're playing.

I put more of the blame on Sanchez but Schotty really should have the offense playing better by this point.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=eaglenj;3874497]Two things really stood out last night and neither of them bode well for the big picture of our offense.

I hate harping on Schottys shortcomings, but I just dont see how he cant make changes with the plays. Keller hasnt been involved in weeks, and its not weather, or sanchez (for the most part), its our awful awful play calling. We have the tools to succeed yet we cant score a td for 3 weeks????[/QUOTE]

1. What does what the Bears did last night against a Vikes team with nothing to play for, have to do with Shotty and the Jets? On any level? It's two different teams, two different coaches, different scenarios.

2. You think that the coaches should treat a 2nd year QB who has had at least some success in the NFL the same way the Vikes will treat a bottom level, scrub QB who was drafted as a WR and has had 0 snaps before this week in practices? Really?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=fidelioion;3874617]The Bears are getting better. The Jets are getting worse. They implemented a new system with a new QB this year. It takes time - but by week 15 they are starting to play better offensive football..

Where as the Jets offense scores 13 points and we're all calling it the best game they played in two months and talking about good our OC was...Please!!! 13 points is 13 points I don't care what the weather is and who you're playing.

I put more of the blame on Sanchez but Schotty really should have the offense playing better by this point.[/QUOTE]

The Bears implemented a new QB this year?

The Bears implemented a new system this year?

Any other news flashes for us?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=fidelioion;3874617]The Bears are getting better. The Jets are getting worse. They implemented a new system with a new QB this year. It takes time - [B]but by week 15 they are starting to play better offensive football..[/B]

I put more of the blame on Sanchez but Schotty really should have the offense playing better by this point.[/QUOTE]

Yep they looked great against the Pats in week 14 too.. Including last night the pathetic Jet team has scored 295 points to 293 for the Bears. The Jets are ranked 18th the Bears 19th in scoring.. And I agree the Jets O has been beyond horrible and I hate Schotty as well.. I just get a kick how SOJF's build up the Bears while crapping on their own team..:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=fidelioion;3874617]The Bears are getting better. The Jets are getting worse. [B]They implemented a new system with a new QB this year. It takes time - but by week 15 they are starting to play better offensive football..[/B]

This is Cutler's 2nd year with the team. It is Martz's 1st year, that is true.

Furthermore, the Bears were smoked in their previous game by the Pats, scored 24 against the Lions before that, did do well against Philly, but had 1 drive of 50+ yards against the Dolphins. The reason the Bears won yesterday was because the defense had 5 turnovers and the Special teams returned a kick for a touchdown and another kick inside the 10.

Plus the were playing a pretty lifeless Vikings team that seems to have given up on the season.

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;3874621]1. What does what the Bears did last night against a Vikes team with nothing to play for, have to do with Shotty and the Jets? On any level? It's two different teams, two different coaches, different scenarios.

2. You think that the coaches should treat a 2nd year QB who has had at least some success in the NFL the same way the Vikes will treat a bottom level, scrub QB who was drafted as a WR and has had 0 snaps before this week in practices? Really?[/QUOTE]

1. It has to do with the fact that somehow, an offense with an entirely new system and a lot less talent then we have can move the ball without much trouble, in a snow storm.

2. Should the jets treat Sanchez like Joe Webb, not at all. What they should do, and what they havent done in 5 years with Schotty, is tailor their offense to their players or QB. You realize we have the same damn offense that we had with chad, favre and sanchez. 3 REMARKABLY different QBs.

Minnesota simplified things and changed their offense to reflect that they had a young qb who could run. We should do the same thing but dont....where are the rollouts that fit sanchez's skill set perfectly and that worked so well in the playoffs? Where is any evidence of us using Keller in the middle of the field?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=eaglenj;3874641]1. It has to do with the fact that somehow, an offense with an entirely new system and a lot less talent then we have can move the ball without much trouble, in a snow storm.

2. Should the jets treat Sanchez like Joe Webb, not at all. What they should do, and what they havent done in 5 years with Schotty, is tailor their offense to their players or QB. You realize we have the same damn offense that we had with chad, favre and sanchez. 3 REMARKABLY different QBs.

Minnesota simplified things and changed their offense to reflect that they had a young qb who could run. We should do the same thing but dont....where are the rollouts that fit sanchez's skill set perfectly and that worked so well in the playoffs? Where is any evidence of us using Keller in the middle of the field?[/QUOTE]

But somehow the jets offense is better, has scored more points than the Bears.

Where do you get your facts from? Shotty has tailored his O to the players they have. He ran Favres O when he was here. He ran a different O with Chad and is running a different O with Sanchez.

You seriously didn't notice a difference when Favre was the Jet QB?