Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Observations from Bears-Vikes

[QUOTE=fidelioion;3874617][B]The Bears are getting better. The Jets are getting worse. [/B]They implemented a new system with a new QB this year. It takes time - but by week 15 they are starting to play better offensive football..

Where as the Jets offense scores 13 points and we're all calling it the best game they played in two months and talking about good our OC was...Please!!! 13 points is 13 points I don't care what the weather is and who you're playing.

I put more of the blame on Sanchez but Schotty really should have the offense playing better by this point.[/QUOTE]

Jets looked like they were getting worse Sunday?

Oh that's right there weren't enough points put up by our elite offense against a top D. We only beat them we didn't turn their world upside-down, tear asunder their illusions, and send the sanctuary of their own ignorance crashing down around them. Something MUST be wrong.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 12-21-2010 at 10:34 AM.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;3874641]1. It has to do with the fact that somehow, an offense with an entirely new system and a lot less talent then we have can move the ball without much trouble, in a snow storm.

2. Should the jets treat Sanchez like Joe Webb, not at all. What they should do, and what they havent done in 5 years with Schotty, is tailor their offense to their players or QB. You realize we have the same damn offense that we had with chad, favre and sanchez. 3 REMARKABLY different QBs.

Minnesota simplified things and changed their offense to reflect that they had a young qb who could run. We should do the same thing but dont....where are the rollouts that fit sanchez's skill set perfectly and that worked so well in the playoffs? Where is any evidence of us using Keller in the middle of the field?[/QUOTE]

If you think Cutler is less talented than Sanchez at this stage in their careers than you aren't paying attention.
    Cutler has his issues, sure... But he's far more accurate, has a better arm, and has greater command at the line right now. That's not a criticism of Sanchez, because Cutler is now a 5th year veteran. But talent begins at QB, and the Bears are for more talented there right now.
    Minnesota simplified things for Joe Webb... And how did that turn out? 2 Picks, 1 Fumble, 3 Sacks, and 7 Points generated on Offense.
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 12-21-2010 at 10:36 AM.

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3874672]If you think Cutler is less talented than Sanchez at this stage in their careers than you aren't paying attention.
    Minnesota simplified things for Joe Webb... And how did that turn out? 2 Picks, 1 Fumble, 3 Sacks, and 7 Points generated on Offense.[/QUOTE]

STOP F*CKING USING FACTS.

Minnesota simplified their offense because they identified that their gameplan and playcalls should allow their young QB to get into a rhythm by giving him high percentage throws. They're so smart. Schotty would never think of that.

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3874672]If you think Cutler is less talented than Sanchez at this stage in their careers than you aren't paying attention.
    Cutler has his issues, sure... But he's far more accurate, has a better arm, and has greater command at the line right now. That's not a criticism of Sanchez, because Cutler is now a 5th year veteran. But talent begins at QB, and the Bears are for more talented there right now.
    Minnesota simplified things for Joe Webb... And how did that turn out? 2 Picks, 1 Fumble, 3 Sacks, and 7 Points generated on Offense.[/QUOTE]

Never once said Cutler isnt more talented then Sanchez, and I do know that position is most important.

That being said, we are better at the other 10 positions on the offense so I think that balances out.

Webbs stats were the result of him being FAR worse of a player then sanchez. My point is that we dont tailor our offense to our players....and its not a difficult thing to do.

[QUOTE=patsfanken;3874562]Here's the common thread. The one thing that all those teams that "seem" to have better offenses than the Jets. A better QB. You can have Jerry Rice and Randy Moss in their primes, and you won't succeed without a good QB. Its like trying to eat without arms.[/QUOTE]

I agree for now. I think people really underestimate the fact that Sanchez under any normal circumstance should at best be a first year QB. You should see steady improvement from him at least over the next 2-3 years. To your point about WR without a QB I would throw out the classic example in Larry Fitzgerald.

[QUOTE=Much ado about Nothing;3874663]Jets looked like they were getting worse Sunday?

Oh that's right there weren't enough points put up by our elite offense against a top D. We only beat them we didn't turn their world upside-down, tear asunder their illusions, and send the sanctuary of their own ignorance crashing down around them. Something MUST be wrong.[/QUOTE]

You can keep making excuses for a bad offense all you want or continue to find scapegoats ...the Jets are NOT a very good team - T

they certainly didn't look like they were getting better. They scored 13 points - I'm really not sure what game the rest of you were watching. 13 is not an epic performance - and the one TD since Thanksgiving was on a Trick Play (everyone once in a while trick plays work for any team) but putting an offense on the field that can score TD's consistently is alluding the Jets.

You can all keep fooling yourselves - Martz and Cutler together are getting better - Sanchez and Schotty and NOT.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;3874685]Never once said Cutler isnt more talented then Sanchez, and I do know that position is most important.

That being said, we are better at the other 10 positions on the offense so I think that balances out.

Webbs stats were the result of him being FAR worse of a player then sanchez. My point is that we dont tailor our offense to our players....and its not a difficult thing to do.[/QUOTE]

They do. The reason the Jets don't more short passes is because of Sanchez inaccuracy issues. I also think they should throw more short passes and run more play action. But the reality is, Sanchez gets a ton of balls knocked down at the LOS, and he misses on short passes and screens often. He's one of the few QBs who completes less than 65% of passes behind the LOS. He also hits less than 60% of short passes. You can argue that's on Schotty too, and it probably is, to some degree. But it's a big reason why the Jets can't run the short passing game.

There is no good QB in the league who has such terrible numbers on short passes.

[QUOTE=fidelioion;3874698]You can keep making excuses for a bad offense all you want or continue to find scapegoats ...the Jets are NOT a very good team - T

they certainly didn't look like they were getting better. They scored 13 points - I'm really not sure what game the rest of you were watching. 13 is not an epic performance - and the one TD since Thanksgiving was on a Trick Play (everyone once in a while trick plays work for any team) but putting an offense on the field that can score TD's consistently is alluding the Jets.

You can all keep fooling yourselves - Martz and Cutler together are getting better - Sanchez and Schotty and NOT.[/QUOTE]

Insisting what you're saying is true doesn't change the fact that the Jets offense has outscored this vaunted Bears offense you feel like jerking off this week.

I apologize if the Jets' offense has hurt your fantasy football teams in any way. In reality, they're a big part of a 10 win team.

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3874630]This is Cutler's 2nd year with the team. It is Martz's 1st year, that is true.

Furthermore, the Bears were smoked in their previous game by the Pats, scored 24 against the Lions before that, did do well against Philly, but had 1 drive of 50+ yards against the Dolphins. The reason the Bears won yesterday was because the defense had 5 turnovers and the Special teams returned a kick for a touchdown and another kick inside the 10.

Plus the were playing a pretty lifeless Vikings team that seems to have given up on the season.[/QUOTE]

Very apt comparisons here Batman. Against the Dolphins, they seemed slow, often lethargic on offense. Had Miami had a modicum of competent offense in that game, the outcome would probably have been different.

[QUOTE=Much ado about Nothing;3874708]Insisting what you're saying is true doesn't change the fact that the Jets offense has outscored this vaunted Bears offense you feel like jerking off this week.

I apologize if the Jets' offense has hurt your fantasy football teams in any way. In reality, they're a big part of a 10 win team.[/QUOTE]

I never said the Bears were a great team I just said they were getting better.

and what I've said is the Jets are getting worse. What is the Jets point totals from the past five weeks? compared to the five weeks before that?

The Jets offense, right now, is bad. I don't know how anyone can see otherwise.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=fidelioion;3874698]You can keep making excuses for a bad offense all you want or continue to find scapegoats ...the Jets are NOT a very good team - T

You can all keep fooling yourselves - Martz and Cutler together are getting better - Sanchez and Schotty and NOT.[/QUOTE]

On A true student of the game would draw conclusions based on the Jets playing a Steeler team with something to play for and the Bears playing a Vike team going through the motions. Led by a WR trying to play QB on the fly.

Never mind that with Cutler, with Martz, the Jets have still outscored the Bears.

[QUOTE=fidelioion;3874754]I never said the Bears were a great team I just said they were getting better.

and what I've said is the Jets are getting worse. What is the Jets point totals from the past five weeks? compared to the five weeks before that?

The Jets offense, right now, is bad. I don't know how anyone can see otherwise.[/QUOTE]

But the Bears offense wasn't that great yesterday. Again, they had 6 drives that started in Vikings territory (7 if you count the last drive where they kneeled) and two that started inside the Vikings 15 yard line. Also, their offense requires Cutler to take a lot of abuse, that's the last thing you'd want for a young QB. At least 1/ game this season and the most sacked QB in the league (by 7 sacks).
    The Bears did score a lot of points yesterday,. but that doesn't make them a better offense, just a better offense this week.

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;3874757]
    Never mind that with Cutler, with Martz, the Jets have still outscored the Bears.[/QUOTE]

Against the same opponents?

Don't tell me you're smoking the Gassage69 crackpipe along with your normal DuPont diet.

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3874765].
    The Bears did score a lot of points yesterday,. but that doesn't make them a better offense, just a better offense this week.[/QUOTE]

Or an offense better prepared for December and the playoffs

[QUOTE=innerjet;3874774]Or an offense better prepared for December and the playoffs[/QUOTE]

Agreed. This is the time of year the good teams start to separate themselves from the pack - I'm not saying the Bears are one of those teams (although they do seem to playing better than they were earlier in the year) but the Jets have not, by any means, given me any confidence that they can score points.

[QUOTE=innerjet;3874774]Or an offense better prepared for December and the playoffs[/QUOTE]

Most offenses are going to look more prepared when they repeatedly get the ball in their opponents territory.

THe Jets best field position to start a drive was their own 34.

The Bears had 9(!!!) different drives with better field position than that.
    On the 5 drives that started on their own or worse, they scored 7 points (3 Punts, 1 TD, 1 INT).

26 of their 40 points came on drives that started in Vikings territory OR on special teams.

1 More point... The Jets have had 1 drive that started in their opponents territory in the last 3 weeks. (Field Goal against Miami for a drive that started at the Dolphins 38)

Vs. Pitt (0)
    Vs Miami (1 - Field Goal)
    Vs New England (0)

Bears
    Vs Vikings (6 - 19 Points)
    Vs. Lions (1 - Field Goal)
    Vs. Patriots (1 - Touchdown)
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 12-21-2010 at 11:53 AM.

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3874802][B]Most offenses are going to look more prepared when they repeatedly get the ball in their opponents territory.[/B]

THe Jets best field position to start a drive was their own 34.

The Bears had 9(!!!) different drives with better field position than that.
    On the 5 drives that started on their own or worse, they scored 7 points (3 Punts, 1 TD, 1 INT).

26 of their 40 points came on drives that started in Vikings territory OR on special teams.[/QUOTE]

isn't that pretty much what the Jets had in the Dolphins game?

You keep wanting to make this about the Bears. It's not - it's about the fact that Jets are NOT a good offense right now and have regressed from earlier in the season.

Its a form league. Sanchez had a couple of bad games, but on the balance he's also won a few key games for the team this season and he had an outstanding stretch to open the campaign.

If he can play like he did in the playoffs and close of last season as we go forward, I'd take him at the helm over a lot of QBs in the league, including Cutler.

[QUOTE=fidelioion;3874807] it's about the fact that Jets are NOT a good offense right now and have regressed from earlier in the season.[/QUOTE]

That is true - but the NFL season is long and this happens to most teams at some point or another - though with Schotty its more likely to happen... Don't we keep hearing that the Pats are a totally different team to what they were a few months back?

Jets played there way out of a similar slump last year and have shown they can put up points when they need to, just need to get some momentum back.

Ryu

[QUOTE=ryu79;3874819]That is true - but the NFL season is long and this happens to most teams at some point or another - though with Schotty its more likely to happen... Don't we keep hearing that the Pats are a totally different team to what they were a few months back?

Jets played there way out of a similar slump last year and have shown they can put up points when they need to, just need to get some momentum back.

Ryu[/QUOTE]

I completely agree - The Jets can, without a doubt, turn it around, I think they have the talent to do so.

One encouraging thing to take away from the Steelers game was the offense felt a lot like last years offense, but now we have better weapons at WR and Sanchez (as hard as I am on him) is head and shoulders a better QB than he was last year.

If they can find the running game and Sanchez settles in a bit they can certainly make a run. but they only have two weeks to get their act together.