Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2 Observations from Bears-Vikes

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fidelioion;3874835] If they can find the running game and Sanchez settles in a bit they can certainly make a run. but they only have two weeks to get their act together.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how provocative it is to say, but I think the O Line is prob even more a reason for the 2 game losing streak we had than Sanchez. We lost terribly at the line of scrimmage in those games and it subjected Sanchez to pressure like he hadn't seen in a bit, and also forced us to throw more than we're used to (though against Miami, seriously, we should have been able to establish the run since we weren't that far behind). We really felt the absence of Woody in those games and Hunter learning his role.

For me, Mark has to play under control, Schotty has to get his head out of his rear (and use Greene a ton more), but most importantly, we need to see Mangold, Brick and Co. play at their best - if they do, that more than anything else will get us far...

No one expects Mark to play like Brady -> but we ARE supposed to have one of the best lines in the league and should.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ryu79;3874847]Not sure how provocative it is to say, but I think the O Line is prob even more a reason for the 2 game losing streak we had than Sanchez. We lost terribly at the line of scrimmage in those games and it subjected Sanchez to pressure like he hadn't seen in a bit, and also forced us to throw more than we're used to (though against Miami, seriously, we should have been able to establish the run since we weren't that far behind). We really felt the absence of Woody in those games and Hunter learning his role.

For me, Mark has to play under control, Schotty has to get his head out of his rear (and use Greene a ton more), but most importantly, we need to see Mangold, Brick and Co. play at their best - if they do, that more than anything else will get us far...

No one expects Mark to play like Brady -> but we ARE supposed to have one of the best lines in the league and should.[/QUOTE]

Mostly agree, I would put more on Sanchez than the o-line but the o-line simply isn't getting the push it used to get - when they led the league in rushing you would see the line push everyone back two yards...with that said though can somebody please explain to me why Greene isn't getting the ball?

The only explanation I can come up with is they are trying to do what they did last year - keep him mostly fresh for the playoff run and let him just kill teams. I honestly believe if he doesn't get hurt last year we beat the Colts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fidelioion;3874857]Mostly agree, I would put more on Sanchez than the o-line but the o-line simply isn't getting the push it used to get - when they led the league in rushing you would see the line push everyone back two yards...with that said though can somebody please explain to me why Greene isn't getting the ball?

The only explanation I can come up with is they are trying to do what they did last year - keep him mostly fresh for the playoff run and let him just kill teams. I honestly believe if he doesn't get hurt last year we beat the Colts.[/QUOTE]

THey are splitting the carries. Greene had more carries for less yards against the Steelers.

Shonn Greene has had more carries than Tomlinson in every game except the one Greene got hurt over the last 6 weeks.

Week 9 Vs Cleveland
    [B]Greene [/B]20 Carries, 72 Yards
    [B]Tomlinson [/B]18 Carries, 57 Yards

Week 10 Vs Houston
    [B]Greene [/B]15 Carries, 42 Yards
    [B]Tomlinson [/B]12 Carries, 36Yards

Week 11 Vs Cincinnati
    [B]Greene [/B]18 Carries, 70 Yards
    [B]Tomlinson [/B]13 Carries, 49 Yards

Week 12 Vs New England
    [B]Greene [/B]13 Carries, 64 Yards
    [B]Tomlinson [/B]10 Carries, 47 Yards

Week 13 Vs Miami
    [B]Greene [/B]8 Carries, 17 Yards (Injured in 4th Quarter)
    [B]Tomlinson [/B]19 Carries, 49 Yards (Last 6 Carries of the game)

Week 14 Vs Pittsburgh
    [B]Greene [/B]12 Carries, 40 Yards
    [B]Tomlinson [/B]11 Carries, 49 Yards

TOTAL:
    [B]Greene [/B]86 Carries, 305 Yards 3.55 YPA
    [B]Tomlinson [/B]83 Carries, 287 Yards 3.46 YPA

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3874877]THey are splitting the carries. Greene had more carries for less yards against the Steelers.

Shonn Greene has had more carries than Tomlinson in every game except the one Greene got hurt over the last 6 weeks.

Week 9 Vs Cleveland
    [B]Greene [/B]20 Carries, 72 Yards
    [B]Tomlinson [/B]18 Carries, 57 Yards

Week 10 Vs Houston
    [B]Greene [/B]15 Carries, 42 Yards
    [B]Tomlinson [/B]12 Carries, 36Yards

Week 11 Vs Cincinnati
    [B]Greene [/B]18 Carries, 70 Yards
    [B]Tomlinson [/B]13 Carries, 49 Yards

Week 12 Vs New England
    [B]Greene [/B]13 Carries, 64 Yards
    [B]Tomlinson [/B]10 Carries, 47 Yards

Week 13 Vs Miami
    [B]Greene [/B]8 Carries, 17 Yards (Injured in 4th Quarter)
    [B]Tomlinson [/B]19 Carries, 49 Yards (Last 6 Carries of the game)

Week 14 Vs Pittsburgh
    [B]Greene [/B]12 Carries, 40 Yards
    [B]Tomlinson [/B]11 Carries, 49 Yards

TOTAL:
    [B]Greene [/B]86 Carries, 305 Yards 3.55 YPA
    [B]Tomlinson [/B]83 Carries, 287 Yards 3.46 YPA[/QUOTE]

Wow, thank you.- I honestly didn't think that was the case. I still feel like he's the better back right now and should be getting more than splitting the caries but I would not have thought he was seeing more than half already.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fidelioion;3874888]Wow, thank you.- I honestly didn't think that was the case. I still feel like he's the better back right now and should be getting more than splitting the caries but I would not have thought he was seeing more than half already.[/QUOTE]

I think it's because we all want Greene to get the ball more, so when Tomlinson runs for 1 or 2 yards, it's more apparent to us as fans than when Greene does the same thing.

Greene has 59 carries in the 4th quarter, to Tomlinson's 45. So another part of it is that Tomlinson gets the ball more often earlier in the game.

Note about the 4th quarter stat is that it includes the entire season, not just the last 6 weeks.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fidelioion;3874888]Wow, thank you.- I honestly didn't think that was the case. I still feel like he's the better back right now and should be getting more than splitting the caries but I would not have thought he was seeing more than half already.[/QUOTE]

agreed!