Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parcells gets exposed

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Parcells gets exposed

[B][SIZE="4"]Commentary: Bill Parcells deserves his share of blame for Miami Dolphins' mediocrity this season[/SIZE][/B]

By Greg Stoda Palm
    Beach Post Staff Writer

DAVIE This is all happening on Bill Parcells' watch.

Let's not forget that part just because he isn't walking the corridors anymore at Miami Dolphins Inc. He's still on the hook for the mess this season has become just as he'll deserve credit if the Dolphins turn things around in the next couple of years and establish themselves as a force rather than a farce.

Parcells took the Dolphins' money and ran back in September when he reduced his role from executive vice president of football operations to consultant, disengaging himself from the franchise for all intents and purposes.

But that doesn't absolve him of responsibility for Miami's two-season slide into mediocrity since what was viewed as a Parcells-orchestrated revival.

He took charge as Dolphins czar three years ago this week, and Miami promptly responded with an 11-5 record in 2008 and an AFC East title. It was a stunning recovery from the previous season's 1-15 disaster. A job well done, indeed, and not even a home playoff loss to Baltimore dulled enthusiasm regarding Parcellsian possibilities. He had hired a rookie head coach in Tony Sparano and a rookie general manager in Jeff Ireland and - Presto! - had made the Dolphins relevant.

Sure, he had been lucky, because the schedule was accommodating and because Chad Pennington fell into Parcells' lap after being released by the Jets.

Not even the Dolphins' dissolve to 7-9 last season, punctuated by Pennington's early and season-ending shoulder injury, dimmed expectations for what the Parcells-Ireland-Sparano triumvirate might accomplish. There was a sense of good things to come.

But that was then.

Now, the Dolphins exist as an unbalanced scale. Miami's defense is among the best in the game, but its offense - a whole appreciably less than the sum of its parts - is abysmal. The offense has produced just 21 touchdowns and frequently is more a liability than an asset to the overall effort.

The offensive line, as usual, is a monotonous work in progress.

The running game, featuring Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams, is weak.

The Dolphins could have two receivers with at least 80 catches apiece in the same season for the first time in franchise history, but Brandon Marshall and Davone Bess aren't scary enough to force an opponent to construct a special strategy to defend either of them.

And, most pointedly, questions still abound about Chad Henne as a long-term starting quarterback.

[B]That's all on Parcells.[/B]

To his everlasting chagrin, Parcells once commented as a coach that he should get to buy the groceries if he was going to cook the meal. Well, he bought these Miami groceries in an almost total reconstruction of the roster ... and the meals ain't so tasty.

Parcells' standard declaration has been that a team is what its record says it is. The Dolphins, by such measure, are as average as their 7-7 record indicates. Miami has lost more games than it has won since the beginning of last season, and there's little reason to expect significant improvement any time soon unless the offense discovers a playmaker and the defense continues to be excellent.

The words written in this space more than three months ago are pertinent: Parcells' worth will be measured more accurately by what happens this season than what happened in his first year in charge.

Is the roster better than it was when Parcells showed up? Yes. Does that roster invite visions of championships, which Parcells was famous for delivering as a coach once upon a time? No.

Miami, in fact, more closely resembles oafish Buffalo than titan New England to use two of its AFC East playmates for comparison.

That's why negative speculation concerning the job security of Sparano and Ireland is gaining momentum as reports surface that team owner Stephen Ross, who hired neither man nor Parcells, might be interested in making changes.

I haven't visited with (Ross), no," Sparano said Monday. "That's not my problem right now. My problem is to get ready for the Detroit Lions. That's what I'm charged with. Everything else is out of my control. Let somebody else deal with it."

It won't be Parcells, who has left the building.

[B]But here's to holding him accountable for what's going on[/B].

[url]http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dolphins/commentary-bill-parcells-deserves-his-share-of-blame-1136317.html[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He deserves a small share of blame...

He's not the GM and he's not the Coach. Both of which deserve far more blame than anyone.

I'm all for getting on Parcells, but only when it's warranted. Such as the time he left our salary cap in ruin.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Replace Chad Henne with a good QB and that's a playoff team, largely because Parcells built a defense. If they figure out something at QB in the offseason, they will be good next season, not a doubt in my mind.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He wanted no part of Henne...

Why should he get the blame for an organization forcing a crappy QB down his throat :i_dont_kn

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3874805]He wanted no part of Henne...

Why should he get the blame for an organization forcing a crappy QB down his throat :i_dont_kn[/QUOTE]

I read that he liked Henne because Henne passed his "Round One" QB criteria. I can't remember the entire list but a prospect must have started 18+ games in D1, have certain winning percentage, etc.

on the other hand, maybe he was reciting his reasons for accepting Henne being handed to him. I don't know.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyway, what is this "gets" exposed? Shouldn't "again" be in the title? :P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Why should he get the blame for an organization forcing a crappy QB down his throat :i_dont_kn[/QUOTE]

He drafted Henne in the Second Round in 2008.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

He's the one who researched the hell out of Henne. HE wanted Henne. Make no mistake. He bailed when the writing was on the wall. Fraud.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I'm going to get killed for this, but I saw flashes of "pretty good" in Henne at times. He's a mess now, but given his experience...I dont know if you can call him a bust yet.

:dunno:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3874862]I know I'm going to get killed for this, but I saw flashes of "pretty good" in Henne at times. He's a mess now, but given his experience...I dont know if you can call him a bust yet.

:dunno:[/QUOTE]

Other than last game, Henne has looked very good against us. :O

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;3874824]He drafted Henne in the Second Round in 2008.[/QUOTE]

At an attempt to possibly develop him as a QB in years to come...

Even after his decent fill in for Chad in 09, he faltered down the stretch like he showed at Michigan and Parcells never really endorsed him after that...

Parcells never really hit on too many offensive draft picks... Not that I can recall anyway...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3874897]At an attempt to possibly develop him as a QB in years to come...

Even after his decent fill in for Chad in 09, he faltered down the stretch like he showed at Michigan and Parcells never really endorsed him after that...

[/QUOTE]

All that may well be true, but you can't say Henne was forced on Parcells or he didn't want him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He built a team that has beaten the Jets 3 out last 4 games?

If you don't get Parcells, "the coach", you get a guy that can build a defense.

Put a decent QB in there & they probably would have beaten us all 4 times.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;3874919]All that may well be true, but you can't say Henne was forced on Parcells or he didn't want him.[/QUOTE]

Bad phrasing I suppose.

He was forced on him this season, according to droopy boobs himself...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3874929]Bad phrasing I suppose.

He was forced on him this season, according to droopy boobs himself...[/QUOTE]

Why is Parcells ass in the front?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was I the only one who retched a little at the idea of an "exposed Parcells"?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Dolphins were the worst team in football when Parcells came to town. Completely and utterly talentless at absolutely every single position on the football field. They're now an average team. I ain't complaining. He did exactly what he did with every football team he's taken over since his Giants days: quick turn around, get some pieces, and push his baby out of the nest. It's up to the next guy to finish the job. I still say he's a Hall of Famer and I completely disagree with the revisionist morons among my Dolphin fan ranks who say he's some kinda failure.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3875377]He did exactly what he did with every football team he's taken over since his Giants days: quick turn around, get some pieces, and push his baby out of the nest. [/QUOTE]

....and then quit.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]To his everlasting chagrin, Parcells once commented as a coach that he should get to buy the groceries if he was going to cook the meal. Well, he bought these Miami groceries in an almost total reconstruction of the roster ... and the meals ain't so tasty.[/QUOTE]

This is a good line (well two actually).

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3875377]The Dolphins were the worst team in football when Parcells came to town. Completely and utterly talentless at absolutely every single position on the football field. [B]They're now an average team. [/B]I ain't complaining. He did exactly what he did with every football team he's taken over since his Giants days: quick turn around, get some pieces, and push his baby out of the nest. It's up to the next guy to finish the job. I still say he's a Hall of Famer and I completely disagree with the revisionist morons among my Dolphin fan ranks who say he's some kinda failure.[/QUOTE]

IMO that's mostly because of Mike Nolan. Would Miami be in last place without the job he's done with that defense?