Thread: Safety, OLB, DE...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Safety, OLB, DE...

Funny that our defense has been solid though not dominant this year and that the offense has struggled but I think we need to address the issues I listed in the title bar.

I usually look for player value over position with early draft picks but the Jets could elevate the defense from very good to dominant if we picked up a play making safety (Think Rhodes when he was actually good and not a soft prima dona...what a waste), a pass rushing OLB or a DE that can do more than plug the run.

Out of them all I'd be most happy if we could get a pass rushing OLB. The kind of player that other teams would have to game plan for, a guy that could get pressure on his own or at least command double teams. (In other words what Gholston was supposed to me.)

I wonder how often front offices get gun shy of picking a certain position early if they have had a recent colossal bust in that same position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    DE: I would love to add Cameron Jordan from Cal at the end of the first round. Prototypical size (6-4, 290), strong as a bull and very aggressive. Good use of hands and is really quick off the snap. He would give us more than just a run plugging big body upfront.

S: I recently said it in another thread that I really like Quinton Carter from Oklahoma. Very experienced against spread offenses, big hitter with a nose for the football. Can help out against the run, team leader and a very good kid off the field.

OLB: Well, I really dont see a nasty pass rush prospect coming out this year. We could take a flyer in the later rounds on guys like Cliff Matthews, Chris Walker or Dontay Moch but in the end we will have a really hard time adding a guy with big time upside this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    OLB: Well, I really dont see a nasty pass rush prospect coming out this year.

I hope he comes out...I actually like him better as a 3-4 OLB than I do as a 4-3 DE too.

Also, disagree that we won't find upside at OLB in this draft...some guys who won't be first rounders that are good players:

Moch
    Robinson (Temple)
    Matthews (South Carolina)
    Acho (Texas)
    Freeney (RU)
    White (FSU)
    Crawford (Penn) - Meh, but he's hyped enough to throw on here.
    Miller (A&M) - I'm not sure he goes in the first...early 3rd sounds more fitting.

There's probably others...CB brought up some guy on Arizona the other day.

3-4 OLBs a tough position to transition too...Quinn's pretty much the only guy I'd use a first on at the position...I'm a big fan of Matthews or White on that list above.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 12-21-2010 at 12:52 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post

I hope he comes out...I actually like him better as a 3-4 OLB than I do as a 4-3 DE too.

Also, disagree that we won't find upside at OLB in this draft...some guys who won't be first rounders that are good players:

Moch
    Robinson (Temple)
    Matthews (South Carolina)
    Acho (Texas)
    Freeney (RU)
    White (FSU)
    Crawford (Penn) - Meh, but he's hyped enough to throw on here.
    Miller (A&M) - I'm not sure he goes in the first...early 3rd sounds more fitting.

There's probably others...CB brought up some guy on Arizona the other day.

3-4 OLBs a tough position to transition too...Quinn's pretty much the only guy I'd use a first on at the position...I'm a big fan of Matthews or White on that list above.
    Quinn is awesome but I dont think he will be available at the end of round one. Others like Moch, Acho etc are good players but also have big time questions marks. What I meant with my comment, this year is not really deep in terms of first round OLB prospects. Of course its early so well see how everything develops...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This year after Quinn there are two other guys I could see going in the first as DE/OLB...Smith from Missouri who's existence bit reminded me of today...the other would be Kerrigan, who I think can do well in any system.

The only one of the 3 I think can be seen as plug and go is Quinn...Kerrigan could probably make some impact as a situational player.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This year after Quinn there are two other guys I could see going in the first as DE/OLB...Smith from Missouri who's existence bit reminded me of today...the other would be Kerrigan, who I think can do well in any system.

The only one of the 3 I think can be seen as plug and go is Quinn...Kerrigan could probably make some impact as a situational player.
    If we could somehow get Quinn, oh my...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Smith was a good call by bit, very young and undeveloped but a big time prospect. Reminds me of Lawson actually with his long frame and outstanding athletisism.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Smith was a good call by bit, very young and undeveloped but a big time prospect. Reminds me of Lawson actually with his long frame and outstanding athletisism.
    Lawson is a free agent, might be worth a look. Depending on how the FO feels about the DL, we could double dip there b/c this class is pretty deep as far as that is concerned.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quinn is my pipe dream pick. He's probably a top 5 talent in the draft. Hopefully he has a Dez type of fall.

Adding a guy who can beat OL one on one would take this defense to the next level. A true pass rusher would go a long way in masking the problems at safety.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Quinn is my pipe dream pick. He's probably a top 5 talent in the draft. Hopefully he has a Dez type of fall.

Adding a guy who can beat OL one on one would take this defense to the next level. A true pass rusher would go a long way in masking the problems at safety.
    Same here...I'm hoping brain tumor + lost season = Plummet.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    God I hope so... I see you have changed your avatar to your binkie lol

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    haha that would be nice.

But I don't know how likely it is. That said, none of us really saw Bryant dropping all the way to 24. I still can't believe it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    God I hope so... I see you have changed your avatar to your binkie lol
    Lol the campaign has begun.

To you and Mike: Quinn's not going to get Dez'd. I think his character is less in question, and teams value DL, especially pass rushers, way more than they do WRs...even one with Dez's level of talent (was a top 3 player in last year's draft IMO).