Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin Reveals Steelers Got 9-Yard 1st Down

Tomlin Reveals Steelers Got 9-Yard 1st Down

It is commendable that he mentioned it; I wonder if he will be penalized by the league.

I also wonder if the media will start mentioning the error as well.

[QUOTE]PITTSBURGH -- Coach Mike Tomlin conceded Tuesday that the Steelers were mistakenly awarded a first down on a 9-yard run by Rashard Mendenhall during Sunday's 22-17 loss to the New York Jets.

On first-and-10 from the Jets' 35 early in the second quarter, Mendenhall gained nine yards to the 26. After momentary confusion as the chain crew began moving the sticks, referee Peter Morelli's crew put the ball down at the 25 and signaled a first down.

The statistics crew hastily awarded Mendenhall a 10-yard carry -- an extra yard that wound up giving him a 100-yard game. The Steelers went on to score a touchdown on Ben Roethlisberger's nine-yard pass to Matt Spaeth.

Tomlin said the Steelers benefited in that situation, but he added that the spotting of the ball is always tricky.

[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d16e04/article/tomlin-reveals-steelers-given-first-down-on-9yard-run-vs-jets?module=HP_headlines[/url]
    Last edited by Equilibrium; 12-21-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Yeah, It was like lets just give them the 1st down..:mad: I was pissed!!!!!!

I think it stinks that the Mendenhall gets a 100-yard game with that in mind. Jets had a nice streak going, even if it's something that's ultimately inconsequential.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Can you imagine if this happened for the Jets in a game versus the Pats, and it resulted in a Jets win? That would be a bigger story than tripgate. Why is this being swept under the rug???

Why would Tomlin be penalized for it? The refs screwed up....again.

I would like to see refs getting fined by the league for screwing up calls. That would eliminate a lot of this stuff.

it helped the jets in the end because the steelers didn't know they had been given a first down and on the next play they tried to force a throw to where the old marker was.

[QUOTE=jets27-23;3875563]Can you imagine if this happened for the Jets in a game versus the Pats, and it resulted in a Jets win? That would be a bigger story than tripgate. Why is this being swept under the rug???[/QUOTE]

Let the Commish know

[URL="http://twitter.com/#%21/nflcommish"]http://twitter.com/#!/nflcommish[/URL]

NFL PR guy

[url]http://twitter.com/#!/gregaiello[/url]
    Last edited by C Mart; 12-21-2010 at 07:39 PM.

All League
    Why do we care so much, i'd rather a 1 and 10 at the 26yd line than a 2nd and 1...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JetStream;3875596]Why do we care so much, i'd rather a 1 and 10 at the 26yd line than a 2nd and 1...[/QUOTE]

Because if not for the refs the Steelers didn't get the 1st? With the call they then went on to score a TD instead of attempting a FG?

I'd rather keep those extra 4 points off the board. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;3875587]it helped the jets in the end because the steelers didn't know they had been given a first down and on the next play they tried to force a throw to where the old marker was.[/QUOTE]

No it didn't help the Jets, they scored a TD on that drive.

And missing a pass had nothing to do with the marker, they were given a 1st down, markers were moved. Chains were moved.

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;3875606]No it didn't help the Jets, they scored a TD on that drive.

And missing a pass had nothing to do with the marker, they were given a 1st down, markers were moved. Chains were moved.[/QUOTE]
    they would have called a different play than the one they did....

Also, the jets game up a third and 18 that's the jets fault

Forget other teams getting phantom 1st downs.....
    WE NEED TO GET BETTER ON 3rd and LONG with this DEFENSE.

Re-watched the game and its sickening and maddening to watch time and time again we giving other teams offenses life by picking up those 3rd down conversions.

3rd and 13
    3rd and 16
    3rd and 24 !!!!
    all converted !!!!
    Just makes the stomach turn. All four quarters yesterday we gave them up.
    Steelers had like three 90+ yard drives!!!!!

We have to fix this ... its getting ridiculous.

[QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;3875610]they would have called a different play than the one they did....

Also, the jets game up a third and 18 that's the jets fault[/QUOTE]

What kind of reasoning is this?

The play was called unfairly and was blatantly wrong, which led to a Pittsburgh TD. The worst thing that could have happened if the play was a 9 yard gain would be a TD, but given that no one knows what would have happened, it could likely have been anything - including an INT returned for a TD.

Fact is it led to a TD, maybe not directly, but it was an error that is inexcusable.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;3875610]they would have called a different play than the one they did....

Also, the jets game up a third and 18 that's the jets fault[/QUOTE]

3 and 18? The next two play, what should have been their 2nd and 3rd down plays didn't get them the first down that they were wrongly awarded.

They could have run two completely different plays but you don't know that they would have. The only thing we know for sure is that they ran 2 plays that wouldn't have given them a 1st down. The rest is fantasy land material.

What does any of this have to do with saying that it helped the Jets? Because it didn't.

[QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;3875587]it helped the jets in the end because the steelers didn't know they had been given a first down and on the next play they tried to force a throw to where the old marker was.[/QUOTE]

This is where you get into what ifs...

There shouldn't be any. It was a terrible spot. It hurt the Jets.

Leave it at that.

You're not Nostradamus.

What if they ran the ball and Mendenhall fumbled or was tackled for a 4 yard loss...

The officials were incompetent with spotting the ball.On the last play before the 2 minute warning Roethlisburger ran out of bounds at the 26 or 27 yd line,yet when they came back from commercial the ball was spotted at the 30. First down either way but he was nowhere near the 30 and 3 or 4 yds could be a big difference in that situation.

All League
    The article makes it sound like it was merely a case of a bad spot. They happen all the time and aren't really newsworthy -- Rex could and probably should have challenged if the spot was off by a yard or more.

BUT, I thought it was actually a case of a good spot and a nine yard gain -- which the refs wrongly called a first down and signaled for the chains to be moved. That's my recollection at least -- I haven't gone back and watched again. But I thought the ball was spotted at the 26 -- a full yard short of the chains. That DOESN'T happen all the time, and IS in fact newsworthy. In the end, mistakes happen though...didn't cost us the game, and really, you have to assume they would probably have converted a 2nd and 1, so not THAT big a deal.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=gaffneycatch;3875645]The article makes it sound like it was merely a case of a bad spot. They happen all the time and aren't really newsworthy -- Rex could and probably should have challenged if the spot was off by a yard or more.

BUT, I thought it was actually a case of a good spot and a nine yard gain -- which the refs wrongly called a first down and signaled for the chains to be moved. That's my recollection at least -- I haven't gone back and watched again. But I thought the ball was spotted at the 26 -- a full yard short of the chains. That DOESN'T happen all the time, and IS in fact newsworthy. In the end, mistakes happen though...didn't cost us the game, and really, you have to assume they would probably have converted a 2nd and 1, so not THAT big a deal.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

They market it correctly, but they wrongly changed the marker from 2nd down to 1st.

Then to compound their ineptness later they had a bad spot for bonus where on the replay, which was pointed out by Simms, the Steelers where given a great spot that gave them another 1st down that they didn't get to again keep the drive moving.

All League
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3875650]Exactly.

They market it correctly, but they wrongly changed the marker from 2nd down to 1st.

Then to compound their ineptness later they had a bad spot for bonus where on the replay, which was pointed out by Simms, the Steelers where given a great spot that gave them another 1st down that they didn't get to again keep the drive moving.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I remember that second one, on the same drive. Ward caught it and was stopped right at the marker -- it would have been very close whether he made it or not -- but they gave him a very generous spot that was clearly a first down.

All League
    They had 3 9-yard first downs that game. The refs sucked on both sides of the ball but especially against us.