Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leonard replacement question(s)

All Pro

Leonard replacement question(s)

You folks were killing Smith after the Pats game as a piss poor replacement
    for Leonard so my questions are: 1) Is he still the Leonard replacement,
    and 2) if so, how is he doing?

Dwight Lowery played alot of safety this past game, i thought he did pretty well

Lowrey 100,000 % (can I make it higher) over Smith. No question. And look for safety and Dline in draft and free agency. This is Smiths last year.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=The Boston Patriot;3875734]You folks were killing Smith after the Pats game as a piss poor replacement
    for Leonard so my questions are: 1) Is he still the Leonard replacement,
    and 2) if so, how is he doing?[/QUOTE]

He sustained a head injury and did not play, so it's hard to say how he's doing.

IMO...Lowery earned the spot with his performance. Put Smith on Special Teams where he can hit someone hard and not get flagged for it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Agree with the above that Lowery did a nice job last week. People here have been saying for years that he's better suited for safety rather than cornerback and it's cool to see that he's finally playing where he belongs. He's a 4.6 guy so he doesn't have the speed to cover the 4.3, 4.4 receivers that are so common around the league, but he's got good instincts and ball skills.

[QUOTE=peterock;3875762]Lowrey 100,000 % (can I make it higher) over Smith. No question. And look for safety and Dline in draft and free agency. [B]This is Smiths last year[/B].[/QUOTE]

He'll be back. He's a good special teamer and can be useful as a backup. There's no way he should be playing significant time though. Lack of ball skills, tendencies for dumb penalties, being unathletic and undersized does not make for a good starting safety

[QUOTE]1) Is he still the Leonard replacement,
    and 2) if so, how is he doing?[/QUOTE]

He's hurt and didn't play Sunday. You saw his horrid performance against the Pats and against Miami judging by Scott's reaction after the Marshall touchdown, it seemed he was at fault for the TD. Lowery had a decent game against Pitt and I expect he'll continue to start after Smith gets healthy.

Count me for the Lowery too.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... :clapper: ... lowery ... :clapper: ...

l_j_r

I think Lowery has the best opportunities to make plays as he has always been a "ball hawk" type of player but I still want Eric Smith back asap as we are really thin at that position...

I think Lowery may devlope into a top notch saftey.

The amazing thing here is that we have a head coach and his d leans heavily on Dbs. It's built on the abillity of our db's and safeties actually covering receivers.

The 64 milion dollar queston is...
    Why are we so weak at this position?
    We only have 2 db's that can actually cover. Our safeties are a huge issue this season. Leonard may help with the call the plays, but he has not played very well and seems to have lost some speed. He looked a lot faster 2 seasons ago.
    After Revis and Cro, wtf there is nobody.

I was beginning to think Ryans schemes were the issues, but it's our personnel that's the problem. We don't need big time names, we need smart athletes who can play this game.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Its hard to judge, in a way, as the Steelers main pass catching TE was not playing. Matt Spaeth still had a few catches, but the Stillers couldn't really challenge the Jets at their weakest spot as well as they otherwise could. A solid (but unspectacular) TE - which is what Miller is - could have exploited them tremendously.

JMO, but Lowery and Smith don't really serve the in the same capacity. Lowery is more fit to play a CF-esque safety, and is not really a great option to come up in run support, although he clearly has/had to. Smith, as evidenced by his game against the Pats, is inept in space and can't really cover/ break on the ball downfield. But, around the line of scrimmage, whether its covering the short pass or in run support, he's pretty good.

What we haven't really heard, however, was who served as the defensive "QB" making all the calls that Jimmy L. did. There were stories prior to both injuries about how smart Smith is and having them back both back there was like having two QBs. Well, both were gone against the Stillers and it seemed to be much of the same. Granted, much of the same isn't a good thing, but the level of play didn't change substantially.

Brodney Pool has also stepped up his game recently, which helps a lot.

Jets Insider VIP
    lowery is fine

worry about your own crappy safeties, chowd

All Pro
    [QUOTE=srobjets;3876052]The amazing thing here is that we have a head coach and his d leans heavily on Dbs. It's built on the abillity of our db's and safeties actually covering receivers.

The 64 million dollar question is...
    Why are we so weak at this position?
    We only have 2 db's that can actually cover. Our safeties are a huge issue this season. Leonard may help with the call the plays, but he has not played very well and seems to have lost some speed. He looked a lot faster 2 seasons ago.
    After Revis and Cro, wtf there is nobody.

I was beginning to think Ryans schemes were the issues, but it's our personnel that's the problem. We don't need big time names, we need smart athletes who can play this game.[/QUOTE]

Hence why we see (whenever we have football again) an update on these key areas:
    Defensive line....by getting to the QB, quite a few of the issues with the corner's and safeties will be resolved.
    Now, I am not saying safety is not needed, but Wilson as a nickel, and depth, and I would say with Leonard back, Lowery and Ihedigbo, Smith, Coleman, etc...another starter could be good.
    But I think if we focus on revamping the front seven, this defense will be SICK SICK SICK....

All Pro
    Lowery is perfect for saftey. His skill set and body type fit the position.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

I think Rex knows what a good safety is right? If Lowery gets pulled for Smith then he's missing something in his skillset.

Practice Squad

Lowery at Safety

Was anyone able to watch closely how Lowery did at safety? This was something a lot of us had been hoping to see for quite a while, and with Eric Smith still limited due to his concussion, he may be out there again this week.

Jets Insider VIP
    HE was lost out there. Couldnt figure out when to come up and tackle and when to stay back in coverage. Lets hope he gets better.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3876459]HE was lost out there. Couldnt figure out when to come up and tackle and when to stay back in coverage. Lets hope he gets better.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that he was totally lost , if that was the case we should of been blown out.I say he did alright for his first game. He got away with a PI ,but I expect him to get better.