Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uconn Womens Basketball

Veteran

Uconn Womens Basketball

wtf? why is espn, cnn, and all the media shoving this down our throats? ITS NOT THE RECORD! its the women's basketball record, not the mens! who the hell cares about the uconn womens basketball team outside of the state of connecticut? No one! Please stop being politically correct and covering this like its a big deal, its not, they couldnt beat a top boys HS team, so stop comparing them to the UCLA teams that were among the best of all time.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliJetsFan View Post
    wtf? why is espn, cnn, and all the media shoving this down our throats? ITS NOT THE RECORD! its the women's basketball record, not the mens! who the hell cares about the uconn womens basketball team outside of the state of connecticut? No one! Please stop being politically correct and covering this like its a big deal, its not, they couldnt beat a top boys HS team, so stop comparing them to the UCLA teams that were among the best of all time.
    I could not agree more..

Jets Insider VIP
    Not even deserving of a thread.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Not even deserving of a thread.
    sorry man...i just had to vent. i go to the espn website and see it...i go to cnn website and its front page, i turn on the tv to watch college football and they cut in the game to show it...enough

All League
    Hey, your argument would hold a little more water if you weren't from LA!!!

That said, don't you like the edge of your seat excitement that is women's basketball??????????????????

Veteran
    what does being from LA have anything to do with it? not following you....

pretty much all women's sports suck in comparison to the men....and womens basketball is the worst.

Hall Of Fame
    sorry man...i just had to vent. i go to the espn website and see it...i go to cnn website and its front page, i turn on the tv to watch college football and they cut in the game to show it...enough
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=5937356

Its mainly because the head coach is making a big stink on how this streak will not get the recognition it deserves.. he was foaming out of the mouth in an interview this morning... He was saying stupid stuff like

"all the miserable bastards that follow men's basketball and don't want us to break the record are all here because they're pissed," Auriemma said. "That's just the way it is."

It is simply a streak that happened in womens NCAA basketball.

not NCAA basketball.. If they want all time recognition, they need to play vs the men.

But he continues to say They are breaking a MENS record... Really??

"Because we're breaking a men's record, we've got a lot of people paying attention," Auriemma said. "If we were breaking a women's record, everybody would go, 'Aren't those girls nice, let's give them two paragraphs in USA Today, you know, give them one line on the bottom of ESPN and then let's send them back where they belong, in the kitchen.'"

I love the last comment at the bottom about belonging in the kitchen though.. this dude has some hate built up inside... maybe he really was never good enough to coach NCAA mens basketball and he is bitter... I have no Idea!!

Women needs these type of moments. Duh.

Finally a sport worse than men's basketball

All League

pretty much all women's sports suck in comparison to the men....and womens basketball is the worst.
    We all know it has no bearing on the John Wooden/UCLA record from the 70's. However, most of us don't give a damn other than having watch all of the hoopla surrounding the feat.

ps - you been going to Timmy Nolan's?

Banned
    Yeah blame the media. If the American people (the public) gave a damn about womens basketball, then they would probably coverr it more.... but we don't. So tough noogies.

Veteran
    nope havent been going to timmy's...i will for the playoffs though for sure, ive been having to work on sundays.

John Wooden disagrees with you.

The streak is extremely impressive to me. If it was so easy, why hasn't anyone else been able to do it? People can talk about level of competition all they want to, but UCLA only beat 10 ranked teams during their streak, and with the way the NCAA tournament was set up at that time, they had a cakewalk through the West regional to the Final Four each year. That still doesn't take away from the fact that they won 88 (88!) games in a row.

UConn schedules as many of the top teams as they possibly can each year and come out on top every time, so while women's basketball doesn't have much depth, they're playing the best of what's out there to play. They have far more talent than the teams they play, but anyone who watches sports knows that the most talented team doesn't always win.

I think it's a great accomplishment, and I'm glad that they're getting their moment in the spotlight. I certainly don't see why someone would be so bothered by it that they'd feel the need to start a thread about it on a football forum.

Veteran
    its not impressive...its like being the tallest midget in the room.

i won 100 games a row playing connect four growing up...is that impressive?

no one cares.......

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    John Wooden disagrees with you.

The streak is extremely impressive to me. If it was so easy, why hasn't anyone else been able to do it? People can talk about level of competition all they want to, but UCLA only beat 10 ranked teams during their streak, and with the way the NCAA tournament was set up at that time, they had a cakewalk through the West regional to the Final Four each year. That still doesn't take away from the fact that they won 88 (88!) games in a row.

UConn schedules as many of the top teams as they possibly can each year and come out on top every time, so while women's basketball doesn't have much depth, they're playing the best of what's out there to play. They have far more talent than the teams they play, but anyone who watches sports knows that the most talented team doesn't always win.

I think it's a great accomplishment, and I'm glad that they're getting their moment in the spotlight. I certainly don't see why someone would be so bothered by it that they'd feel the need to start a thread about it on a football forum.

This. Although I've got a pretty good idea of why

Hall Of Fame
    This is like setting some Arena Bowl record and comparing it to the NFL.

And I live in Connecticut.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    ESPN is headquartered in Connecticut.

And yes it's quite an achievement, for women's basketball it is. Frankly I think Geno was just seeking publicity. They have zero national following so he has to do something short of stamping his feet like a girl.

The women aren't even hot.

Total waste of time.

All League

Talking

They're about to lose!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixp160 View Post
    The University of Connecticut women's basketball team spent Saturday afternoon preparing for Georgetown as the Huskies will face at the Hoyas on Sunday afternoon in the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16.