Thread: the 2004 red sox comparison.

the 2004 red sox comparison.

i'll be upfront; i'm a yankees fan, i was born and raised in new york, i root strictly for new york teams, and i am a jets and yankees fan. to make this comparison kills me, but if someone as unhappy to make this comparison as me is making, it must be painfully obvious to many others, yet i haven't seen anything about it posted here, so i thought i'd share how i see it.

the 2004 red sox, the way i see it, are extremely similar to the 2010 jets.

the 04' sox were a team of talented misfits hoping to find a way to fit together and make it work. the 10' jets are a team of talented misfits hoping to find a way to fit together and make it work.

the 04' sox had aspirations of winning the division early on. the 10' jets had aspirations of winning the division early on.

said aspirations were crushed by the yankees during a crushing, demoralizing defeat during the season (july 1st game, 13 innings, jeter's famous dive into the stands, finished a 3 game sweep of the sox and put the yankees up 9 games on july 1st, not a lock at that point, but an extremely comfortable lead that was never relinquished). said aspirations were crushed by the pats during a crushing, demoralizing defeat during the season (3 weeks ago against, 45-3 in foxboro, everything about this game was painful).

the favorite (yankees/patriots) have a face of the franchise that is a captain america-like persona (jeter/brady).

the 04' sox had a lot of media attention all season long for their antics, and even though as a yankee fan you didn't want to admit it, you could almost imagine the dvd story of their eventual world series winning season before it had even happened. the same can be said of the jets.

the sox and their fan base were known as long suffering fans who hadn't experienced a championship since the beginning of the world series era. the jets and their fan base are known as long suffering fans who haven't experienced a championship since the beginning of the super bowl era.

as the wild card, the road to the world series went through the bronx, and after struggling against them at first, the sox pulled off the comeback of the century (or choke of the century, depending on your perspective) against the yankees. as the wild card, the road to the super bowl runs through foxborough, and after stuggling against them in the first half, the jets are going to pull off the comeback of the century (or the pats are going to commit the choke of the century, depending on your perspective) agains thte jets.

i had to find some silver lining in the way the 04' sox won against the yankees, maybe this is karma giving back to new york what was taken away from it that year. this is the universes way of saying its sorry for committing that awful atrocity and allowing that 04' sox team to win the series. but, even if its not, you've got to admit, there kind of are a lot of similarities between those two teams.

Cowboy up.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... hate the sox but if our situation finishes as theirs did i will be thrilled ...

l_j_r

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I've seen worse comparisons. I've seen much better, but have definitely seen worse.

If the Jets win an anti-climactic Super Bowl after beating the Pats in the AFCCG by coming back from 24 down at the half, feel free to bump this thread.

I LIKE THIS...the jets are the equivilent of the sox in the nfl and the pats are fast becoming the yanks..funny how it's kinda inverted in FB.

Pats are going down..even they know it.

i wasn't gonna bump this until after sunday, but given the NY post cover, i felt that added a new wrinkle to my comparison, and felt this deserved the bump given the fever pitch (pun intended) this rivalry has hit.

yes, fever pitch is the ****ty movie made about the 04' red sox. i hate them, but if the jets are going to become them, i will revel in the comparison all i can until it comes true.

[QUOTE=ryanmcg86;3875942]i'll be upfront; i'm a yankees fan, i was born and raised in new york, i root strictly for new york teams, and i am a jets and yankees fan. to make this comparison kills me, but if someone as unhappy to make this comparison as me is making, it must be painfully obvious to many others, yet i haven't seen anything about it posted here, so i thought i'd share how i see it.

the 2004 red sox, the way i see it, are extremely similar to the 2010 jets.
    [/QUOTE]
    The way I see it, you are extremely similar to Rich Kotite.

Love this post.

The parallel sort of extends to the vets looking for elusive rings: Schilling/Manny Ramirez = LT/JT, in some ways.

This and $2 buys you a subway ride, but it's a nice reminder that a talented, resilient drama-loving team can surge at the right time despite an early setback or two.

The difference is that the Sox-Yankees in '04 were much more evenly matched than the Jets-Pats are this year. It was not considered a major longshot for the Sox to win that series... after being down 0-3, yes, but not when the series started.

[QUOTE=Toooon;3911917]The difference is that the Sox-Yankees in '04 were much more evenly matched than the Jets-Pats are this year. It was not considered a major longshot for the Sox to win that series... after being down 0-3, yes, but not when the series started.[/QUOTE]

if you want, you can look at being down 0-3 as being beaten 45-3, in that after these 2 events, EVERYONE thought the sox/jets had no chance of winning.

[QUOTE=Toooon;3911917]The difference is that the Sox-Yankees in '04 were much more evenly matched than the Jets-Pats are this year. It was not considered a major longshot for the Sox to win that series... after being down 0-3, yes, but not when the series started.[/QUOTE]

Before December 6th plenty of people thought the Jets and Pats were evenly matched. Wasn't it just a 3 point spread?

disagree ..... the jets have nothing in common with that red sox team other than they got their a$$ kicked for the past 10 years by that team .... The Redsox got their a$$ kicked for almost 80 plus years .... If you are comparing this Jets team to any Red Sox team then we have 70 more years to go before we win 1 finally.

All League
    I was saying the same thing in December about this team, just reminds me alot of that '04 Red Sox team. The Jets are the Sox of football (pre '04) as the team that comes so close but just cant get over the hump.

Its time to Cowboy Up and beat these f*ckers Sunday on our way to breaking the Belichick Curse!!! LETS GO JETS!!!!!

Hopefully you're right!!!

Time to end the 42 year drought!!!

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!!!!

Game 3 at Fenway was 19-8. Totally memorizing. Made the comeback even sweeter. Your analogy is pretty good.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BigDaddy;3911996]Game 3 at Fenway was 19-8. Totally memorizing. Made the comeback even sweeter. Your analogy is pretty good.[/QUOTE]

F*CK the Red SOX and the fans!!!!

BTW... I respect the SOX and the fans. Been to Fenway 3 times. I wouldn't pi$$ on Billiccek if he was on fire!

All League
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3912001]F*CK the Red SOX and the fans!!!!

BTW... [B]I respect the SOX and the fans[/B]. Been to Fenway 3 times. I wouldn't pi$$ on Billiccek if he was on fire![/QUOTE]

+1 Red Sox fans are as loyal as Jets fans, I got all the respect in the world for them.....now Pats fans are a diffrent story. Most of them couldnt name you one guy on the OLine or couldnt even identify Woodhead even when he is in the stadium store selling his own damn jersey to them!!!!

Red Sox?

God you guys are getting desperate.

Banned
    i was thinking earlier today, this felt as good as the 2003 ALCS