Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Jets news aside: NFC West Scenarios

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets news aside: NFC West Scenarios

I find this fascinating.

Seattle plays in Tampa Bay this weekend.

San Francisco plays in St. Louis.

IF Tampa Bay beats Seattle (probable), AND San Fran wins, San Fran controls it's own destiny to win the division against Arizona in week 17.

If San Fran doesn't win, or loses in week 17, the winner of Seattle/St. Louis in week 17 wins the division.

Depending on what happens with St. Louis/San Fran, the winner of the division will be 7-9.

There should be a rule in the NFL that if nobody in the division finishes at least 8-8, that division forfeits it's spot in the playoffs and the team with the next best record in the conference goes (best Wild Card team hosts first round as 4 seed).

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    my friends and i have been talking about this a lot actually. It's pathetic to think that a team like the giants for instance, since they most likely wont win the division but will have a good record, possibly could finish 11-5 and have to go on the road to a sub .500.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3876278]I find this fascinating.

Seattle plays in Tampa Bay this weekend.

San Francisco plays in St. Louis.

IF Tampa Bay beats Seattle (probable), AND San Fran wins, San Fran controls it's own destiny to win the division against Arizona in week 17.

If San Fran doesn't win, or loses in week 17, the winner of Seattle/St. Louis in week 17 wins the division.

Depending on what happens with St. Louis/San Fran, the winner of the division will be 7-9.

There should be a rule in the NFL that if nobody in the division finishes at least 8-8, that division forfeits it's spot in the playoffs and the team with the next best record in the conference goes (best Wild Card team hosts first round as 4 seed).[/QUOTE]

I disagree that they should forfeit the spot, but I do believe that they shoudl forfeit the home game

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3876291]I disagree that they should forfeit the spot, but I do believe that they shoudl forfeit the home game[/QUOTE]

The team should forfeit the spot. The teams with the best records are the teams that should be in the playoffs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;3876382]The team should forfeit the spot. The teams with the best records are the teams that should be in the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

Then divisions serve no purpose. Would you want to see the NFL kill the divisions and have 2, 16 team open conferences? I guess what they could do, assuming they keep a 16 game schedule, is have everyone play each other once and have 1 at large game vs the other conference. That will really hurt some of the rivalries though.

I like it the way it is, but wouldn't be against seeding the teams based on record regardless of being a division winner.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Newsflash!!! There is unfairness in the playoff qualification formula :eek: :eek: :eek:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The NFL should be like the NBA -- keep the seeding the way it is, but the team with the better record gets homefield advantage.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The seeding should be based on record. If the jets win out and have the second best record in the AFC to the Pats why should they be a wild card team? Post season should be clean slate and Best two records get bye regardless of divisions and if your division sucks like NFC west(worse) you get 6th seed

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that perhaps seeding should go to the best record overall compared to division winners, but division winners should go regardless of record. If just the top 6 teams went, the competition would be drastically less. Because of division winners progressing to playoff and not top 6, 3 teams in the west are still competing. The nfc South, North and West are even more competitive because teams are fighting for their playoff lives rather than just being assured a spot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;3876382]The team should forfeit the spot. The teams with the best records are the teams that should be in the playoffs.[/QUOTE]
    tell that to major league baseball too, then. i say division winners must be .500 or better to host a game. not losing the spot in the playoffs, though.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Problem is, the Jets are stuck in the same division as the Pats. If they were in the NFC west, they would be on their 6 consecutive division title by now.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=townsell83;3876688]Problem is, the Jets are stuck in the same division as the Pats. If they were in the NFC west, they would be on their 6 consecutive division title by now.[/QUOTE]

Then the Jets would be in LA I would be a Giants fan and crying about how much TC is a douche for running on the field to "show the world who to blame instead of me" and listening to Fatessa go on and on about the playoffs are still in our hands and the Cliff Lee signing is refreshing to baseball fans in that the big city teams don't get all the best players. While M(every kiss begins with)Kay(to the Yankees throne) will be moaning about the age of the Yankees

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    they should just have the division be used for deciding of who u play twice a year. other than that it should go by record. there's no way a team that goes 11-5 should not make the playoff's because they are located in the east coast while some garbage team from another side of the country gets to go to the playoff's with a losing record. Its a travesty. I have no problem with a division winner not being able to go to the playoff's. The playoff's are supposed to be about the best teams playing each other not the best teams and some other team who's not that good but they won a horrible division. I hate the Pats but the year they went 11-5 and didn't make the playoff's meanwhile there was an 8-8 team in San Diego that made the playoff's ... that was just stupid. Just think about it ... the Jets could go 12-4 this year and not play a home game in the playoff's only because of the division their in. Meanwhile the Rams could go 8-8 and play a home game in the playoff's against a possible 11 win team. Just retarded ...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;3876530]The NFL should be like the NBA -- keep the seeding the way it is, but the team with the better record gets homefield advantage.[/QUOTE]

Mad Dog said on his show that the NFL will make that change next year.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone likes to rip on the NFC West, but they forget about what division the NFC representative comes from for some of the more recent Superbowls, go figure.

EDIT: Also, a lot of the NFC West teams are like Jekyll and Hyde in terms of them playing at home versus away. Like Arizona beating the Saints, or Seattle blowing out the Chargers.
    Last edited by Schadenfreude; 12-23-2010 at 01:21 AM.