Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Rex Ryan: Jets won’t kick to Devin Hester

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mass
    Posts
    489

    Rex Ryan: Jets won’t kick to Devin Hester


  2. #2
    Not a huge fan of that to be honest...

    When you kick it out of bounds, there is always the chance of a 25 yard punt. A much higher chance than if he was kicking it down the middle of the field.


    I'd rather just trust the percentages and trust our special teams. I mean, even without our special teams, there is a 90+% chance that Hester doesn't return it for a TD. When you factor in our special teams, that percentage goes even higher.

  3. #3
    guarantee folk shanks at least one out of bounds or DIRECTLY to hester. there is no way folk keeps it away from Hester AND in bounds

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJETS3233 View Post
    guarantee folk shanks at least one out of bounds or DIRECTLY to hester. there is no way folk keeps it away from Hester AND in bounds
    Folk has no way of keeping it from Hester. Weatherford is the one that we have to worry about.

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    East Winsdor, NJ
    Posts
    848
    How about we just plan on not punting at all this Sunday.

    Problem solved.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    3,823
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSJetsJetsJets View Post
    How about we just plan on not punting at all this Sunday.

    Problem solved.


    But then we have to worry about kickoff returns. Kicking it out of bounds then is a real disaster.

    Why is there always something to worry about?

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,526
    Oce we get up by 21 Westoff convinces Rex to kick to Hester and he takes it to the house. Westoff gets to chew his special teams out and refocus them on the Super Bowl run.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,984
    I'm not a big fan of this strategy.

    The message here is "we're scared." It's not a good attitude to have going into the game, and I'm sure the players pick up on it as well.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Groton
    Posts
    2,855
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    I'm not a big fan of this strategy.

    The message here is "we're scared." It's not a good attitude to have going into the game, and I'm sure the players pick up on it as well.
    I disagree. It's like saying, our game plan is to run the ball and throw short passes to sustain long drives because the longer period of time that we have the ball, means the less time Tom Brady has the ball. It's not playing scared. It's playing smart.

  10. #10
    Since he said they won't kick to Hester, I bet you that they will...

    as long as its intentional and don't pull a Dodge

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,984
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    I disagree. It's like saying, our game plan is to run the ball and throw short passes to sustain long drives because the longer period of time that we have the ball, means the less time Tom Brady has the ball. It's not playing scared. It's playing smart.
    In essence, you are throwing up a white flag and admitting that you can't stop him. To some degree, it is playing smart, but it is also playing scared.

    It's one thing to make an adjustment during the game after you've seen the results of your special teams, it's quite another to announce it days before the game has even started.

    If the special teams does its job, players stay in their lanes and execute, there is no reason why we can't stop him. We're surrendering before the battle has even begun.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Groton
    Posts
    2,855
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    In essence, you are throwing up a white flag and admitting that you can't stop him. To some degree, it is playing smart, but it is also playing scared.

    It's one thing to make an adjustment during the game after you've seen the results of your special teams, it's quite another to announce it days before the game has even started.

    If the special teams does its job, players stay in their lanes and execute, there is no reason why we can't stop him. We're surrendering before the battle has even begun.
    It's a game plan. You don't start a game with no idea what you are doing. You start it with a plan. If their plan is to get Hester out of the game and make other guys beat them fails, then they change their plan.

    It's similar to how you were to face the Patriots. Your game plan would probably be to have 7 guys in the box and 5 guys back (with some of them blitzing on occasion). You are admitting that Tom Brady is excellent at what he does, and that you would rather see their run game beat you than him. I guess you could call that scared, but I don't see the point of putting 8 in the box and letting Tom Brady score two touchdowns in the first two possessions just because you aren't willing to admit that Tom Brady is their best chance at scoring touchdowns.

    They aren't scared. They are just game planning around Chicago's best offensive threat (via TDs and via him getting the Bears good field position).

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,984
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    It's a game plan. You don't start a game with no idea what you are doing. You start it with a plan. If their plan is to get Hester out of the game and make other guys beat them fails, then they change their plan.

    It's similar to how you were to face the Patriots. Your game plan would probably be to have 7 guys in the box and 5 guys back (with some of them blitzing on occasion). You are admitting that Tom Brady is excellent at what he does, and that you would rather see their run game beat you than him. I guess you could call that scared, but I don't see the point of putting 8 in the box and letting Tom Brady score two touchdowns in the first two possessions just because you aren't willing to admit that Tom Brady is their best chance at scoring touchdowns.

    They aren't scared. They are just game planning around Chicago's best offensive threat (via TDs and via him getting the Bears good field position).
    I agree with many of your points, but I still think it's playing scared and it sends a bad message to the team. Rex is not showing any confidence in his special teams, and I'm sure the team (especially the special teams coverage units) feed off that negative attitude. If our best chance of success is to try to completely eliminate Hester rather than simply execute and stop him, than that does not bode well for our special teams.

    What happened to all the swagger? This seems to go against everything that Rex has been preaching since he got here.

    In no way can you compare game planning for Brady vs. game planning for Hester. Brady is a first ballot hall of famer, possibly this year's MVP, and touches the ball on every offensive snap while Hester is an explosive player who only touches the ball a handful of times per game.

    Instead of willingly giving up field position by getting cute and kicking out of bounds, I would rather see us trust our special teams and be confident in our ability to execute. This is just my opinion, I can certainly see your side of the argument, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with the strategy.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Groton
    Posts
    2,855
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    I agree with many of your points, but I still think it's playing scared and it sends a bad message to the team. Rex is not showing any confidence in his special teams, and I'm sure the team (especially the special teams coverage units) feed off that negative attitude. If our best chance of success is to try to completely eliminate Hester rather than simply execute and stop him, than that does not bode well for our special teams.

    What happened to all the swagger? This seems to go against everything that Rex has been preaching since he got here.

    In no way can you compare game planning for Brady vs. game planning for Hester. Brady is a first ballot hall of famer, possibly this year's MVP, and touches the ball on every offensive snap while Hester is an explosive player who only touches the ball a handful of times per game.

    Instead of willingly giving up field position by getting cute and kicking out of bounds, I would rather see us trust our special teams and be confident in our ability to execute. This is just my opinion, I can certainly see your side of the argument, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with the strategy.
    I know they aren't at the same level in terms of importance of position. However, we saw vs Miami the importance of field position. If you can eliminate their best threat at getting great field position, I'm all for it. I'm not suggesting that you kick the ball out of bounds on every kickoff leading to the 40 yard line as the starting position every drive, or that you kick the ball 25 yards on a punt out of bounds. However, I think there is a middle ground on preventing him. I'm just saying that every game you have to create a game plan. You aren't necessarily doing it because you are scared, but because it's the smartest thing to do.

    I think this whole thing is probably overblown. Rex probably got countless questions about how they will handle Hester, and he in turn praised Hester as a great returner and that they would attempt to kick away from him. I doubt he meant that he was planning on giving Chicago excellent field position every kick by doing stupid things like kicking it out of bounds risking 20 yard kicks.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,716
    Return TDs are killers, but big returns are body blows too. You don't kick to Hester unless you absolutely have to, especially when you know that it's probably going to be a low scoring game. Any Bears fan will tell you that he's their biggest scoring threat. They're only scoring 20 points per game, and it would be less than that without Hester's return.

  16. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,846
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    It's a game plan. You don't start a game with no idea what you are doing. You start it with a plan. If their plan is to get Hester out of the game and make other guys beat them fails, then they change their plan.

    It's similar to how you were to face the Patriots. Your game plan would probably be to have 7 guys in the box and 5 guys back (with some of them blitzing on occasion). You are admitting that Tom Brady is excellent at what he does, and that you would rather see their run game beat you than him. I guess you could call that scared, but I don't see the point of putting 8 in the box and letting Tom Brady score two touchdowns in the first two possessions just because you aren't willing to admit that Tom Brady is their best chance at scoring touchdowns.

    They aren't scared. They are just game planning around Chicago's best offensive threat (via TDs and via him getting the Bears good field position).
    I like where your head's at, but the refs might frown on having 12 defenders on the field

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us