Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sanchez just isn't the guy you all want him to be (right now)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanchez just isn't the guy you all want him to be (right now)

Truth be told I like the kid and I think he's a great prospect and all that. I think he still needs to develop playing so few games in college like he has. Anybody who disagree's I understand but right now he isn't the guy that can lead a team to the big game. Say what you want about the OC and the "weapons" but Sanchez is about a 1-2 years away. I honestly think Sanchez can do what Matt Ryan has done this year if not better within a year or 2. If you look at all the young QB's like Flacco, Ryan, Freeman ... they have much more experience than Sanchez. Sanchez has only played in 1 bowl game if I'm not mistaken. Most of these college QB's play in 3 -4 big games a year and it builds them. You can't buy experience. As much as I like the kid he's still a toddler in this league and his lack of experience is the reason why the offense is being held back. Does Schotty have faults? Sure he does and it took him 3-4 weeks to make the adjustments of game planning a solid game to put Mark in the best position to succeed. That position is taking the load off of his shoulders.

What we saw in Pitt is exactly what Mark is at this young point of his career. At 24 years old he's an above average game manager, illusive, and the type of guy where if he gives you 190 yards and zero INT's you take it. Is he capable of more? Sure .... against the likes of the Texans, Lions, and other below average defenses. Against the elite teams and really good defenses however he struggles more often than not. He can still make big plays, escape pressure in the pocket and stretch plays, and manage a game accordingly. For anyone that expects more from Sanchez you are just expecting too much out of the youngster. He's not that guy. So here's to hoping the defense and running game can get back to an elite level to help the kid out. The biggest mistake the Jets coaching staff made was giving Sanchez WAY too much responsibility. As much as folks hate the conservative game planning start getting used to it. If Pitt is any indication of how we'll be playing the rest of the year its going to be a style that tries to gut out wins. It took 3 months to realize where the kid is .... hopefully he continues to show improvement.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Guy was the MVP of the team throwing for 300 yards a game and throwing game winning tds in overtime a month a go. two bad games and a gutsy performance on the road in the snow against a top td with a bum shoulder and he's nothing more than a game manager?

Sanchez worst playoff game is better than flaccos best
    Last edited by Chupa; 12-22-2010 at 06:35 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;3877028]Truth be told I like the kid and I think he's a great prospect and all that. I think he still needs to develop playing so few games in college like he has. Anybody who disagree's I understand but right now he isn't the guy that can lead a team to the big game. Say what you want about the OC and the "weapons" but Sanchez is about a 1-2 years away. I honestly think Sanchez can do what Matt Ryan has done this year if not better within a year or 2. If you look at all the young QB's like Flacco, Ryan, Freeman ... they have much more experience than Sanchez. Sanchez has only played in 1 bowl game if I'm not mistaken. Most of these college QB's play in 3 -4 big games a year and it builds them. You can't buy experience. As much as I like the kid he's still a toddler in this league and his lack of experience is the reason why the offense is being held back. Does Schotty have faults? Sure he does and it took him 3-4 weeks to make the adjustments of game planning a solid game to put Mark in the best position to succeed. That position is taking the load off of his shoulders.

What we saw in Pitt is exactly what Mark is at this young point of his career. At 24 years old he's an above average game manager, illusive, and the type of guy where if he gives you 190 yards and zero INT's you take it. Is he capable of more? Sure .... against the likes of the Texans, Lions, and other below average defenses. Against the elite teams and really good defenses however he struggles more often than not. He can still make big plays, escape pressure in the pocket and stretch plays, and manage a game accordingly. For anyone that expects more from Sanchez you are just expecting too much out of the youngster. He's not that guy. So here's to hoping the defense and running game can get back to an elite level to help the kid out. The biggest mistake the Jets coaching staff made was giving Sanchez WAY too much responsibility. As much as folks hate the conservative game planning start getting used to it. If Pitt is any indication of how we'll be playing the rest of the year its going to be a style that tries to gut out wins. It took 3 months to realize where the kid is .... hopefully he continues to show improvement.[/QUOTE]

Lets see....He's the first Jets QB to win in Pitt...EVER! I think he everything the Jets fanbase thinks he is..A good QB who is only going to get better...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman;3877050]Lets see....He's the first Jets QB to win in Pitt...EVER! I think he everything the Jets fanbase thinks he is..A good QB who is only going to get better...[/QUOTE]

Sanchez isn't a good QB. He's talented, yet inconsistent and if this team even had an average QB, we would arguably be the best team in the NFL.

With that being said, Sanchez can be a very good QB. Jet fans just have to be patient.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;3877067]Sanchez isn't a good QB. He's talented, yet inconsistent and if this team even had an average QB, we would arguably be the best team in the NFL.

With that being said, Sanchez can be a very good QB. Jet fans just have to be patient.[/QUOTE]

He is a Good QB and singlehandedly won the Texans game, and you can say Detroit and Cleveland too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman;3877075]He is a Good QB and singlehandedly won the Texans game, and you can say Detroit and Cleveland too.[/QUOTE]

In ranking all the QBs in the NFL, you would serious rank him above the middle guy?

I would like to see your QB rankings.

It's ok for Sanchez to not be a good QB as a 2nd year QB- as long as he has potential and makes progress. By next year, though, he's got to fully turn that corner...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;3877067]Sanchez isn't a good QB. He's talented, yet inconsistent and if this team even had an average QB, we would arguably be the best team in the NFL.

With that being said, Sanchez can be a very good QB. Jet fans just have to be patient.[/QUOTE]
    i'd say he's slightly above average. trent dilfer was average. you want a guy like him?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Zombo;3877087]i'd say he's slightly above average. trent dilfer was average. you want a guy like him?[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty arbitrary ranking.

Anyways, Dilfer was a Super Bowl winning QB. I wish Sanchez to be as fortunate.

That involves him performing on a more consistent basis though and not turning the ball over.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Sanchez plays smart like he did in Pittsburg...JEts can win on the road in the Playoffs..Jets will need too score 34 points though in order to beat NE...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;3877090]That's a pretty arbitrary ranking.

Anyways, Dilfer was a Super Bowl winning QB. I wish Sanchez to be as fortunate.

That involves him performing on a more consistent basis though and not turning the ball over.[/QUOTE]
    dilfer rode the sick ravens defense to a ring. don't start heaping credit on dilfer like he rescued baltimore or something.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Zombo;3877087]i'd say he's slightly above average. trent dilfer was average. you want a guy like him?[/QUOTE]

This is a fickle league and we have a lot of fickle fans. 8 games into the season, everyone thought he HAD turned the corner. He's had a couple of rough weeks.

Most QBs in this league are streaky. Sanchez has to earn his stripes to move up the list, but I am more than happy with him for now and knowing what he can become.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No he can't lead us to the big game. Only to within a half of the big game his rookie year. He doesn't play great against elite defenses. Excuse me, but who does? If we give up 300 yards to Tom Brady, you people scream about how our defense sucks, an Rex is no good, but if Sanchez only throws for 200 yards against Pitt, you say he's not very good. So which is it? Is a good defense supposed to hold a good QB to pedestrian numbers, or not? He won the game. What more do you want? Does he have room for improvement? Sure he does, but he's pretty good right now, as long as he stays confident. Payten Manning threw 11 ints in 4 games this year. Brady didn't look very good against us thefirst game, or last week at Green Bay. People go through slumps. Hopefully we see more of the guy that won the NE game earlier this year. Idk but I am hoping for the best. Merry Christmas

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sunday's gameplan was far less conservative than the average Schotty gameplan, and it all started with the 1st down playcalling, something that became the focus of my Schotty (and Rex) criticism starting a few weeks ago. We were running the ball on 1st down more than any other team in the league, everyone knew it, and it was putting the offense in difficult situations.

Against the Steelers, there were 23 1st down plays: 11 passes, 11 runs, and 1 Wildcat run (the only Wildcat play called all day). A pass play was called to start 6 of our 9 drives. The result? A 65% comp rate for Sanchez in cold, snowy conditions, against arguably the best defense in the NFL.

I hope Schotty turned the corner against the Steelers. If he did, I'll feel increasingly optimistic about our chances in the playoffs. That is how you call plays in 2010.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Zombo;3877095]dilfer rode the sick ravens defense to a ring. don't start heaping credit on dilfer like he rescued baltimore or something.[/QUOTE]

And don't spin my words.

I'm not making Dilfer out to be anything more than he was.

He knew he didn't have to be Peyton Manning, but he didn't turn the ball over and made the occasional big play.

Jets lose when Sanchez turns the ball over. Jets win when he doesn't.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman;3877094]If Sanchez plays smart like he did in Pittsburg...JEts can win on the road in the Playoffs..Jets will need too score 34 points though in order to beat NE...[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

In terms of the Patriots, Jets need to go back to the ground-and-poud. Keep their offense off the field and control the temp.

We lost that game as soon as we thought we could win a shootout...

We don't have the QB to do that more than once in a while...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;3877083]In ranking all the QBs in the NFL, you would serious rank him above the middle guy?

I would like to see your QB rankings.

It's ok for Sanchez to not be a good QB as a 2nd year QB- as long as he has potential and makes progress. By next year, though, he's got to fully turn that corner...[/QUOTE]

Only if you're one of those who ranks wins losses above stats.

The last line btw, is ridiculous.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;3877028]Truth be told I like the kid and I think he's a great prospect and all that. I think he still needs to develop playing so few games in college like he has. Anybody who disagree's I understand but right now he isn't the guy that can lead a team to the big game. Say what you want about the OC and the "weapons" but Sanchez is about a 1-2 years away. I honestly think Sanchez can do what Matt Ryan has done this year if not better within a year or 2. If you look at all the young QB's like Flacco, Ryan, Freeman ... they have much more experience than Sanchez. Sanchez has only played in 1 bowl game if I'm not mistaken. Most of these college QB's play in 3 -4 big games a year and it builds them. You can't buy experience. As much as I like the kid he's still a toddler in this league and his lack of experience is the reason why the offense is being held back. Does Schotty have faults? Sure he does and it took him 3-4 weeks to make the adjustments of game planning a solid game to put Mark in the best position to succeed. That position is taking the load off of his shoulders.

What we saw in Pitt is exactly what Mark is at this young point of his career. At 24 years old he's an above average game manager, illusive, and the type of guy where if he gives you 190 yards and zero INT's you take it. Is he capable of more? Sure .... against the likes of the Texans, Lions, and other below average defenses. Against the elite teams and really good defenses however he struggles more often than not. He can still make big plays, escape pressure in the pocket and stretch plays, and manage a game accordingly. For anyone that expects more from Sanchez you are just expecting too much out of the youngster. He's not that guy. So here's to hoping the defense and running game can get back to an elite level to help the kid out. The biggest mistake the Jets coaching staff made was giving Sanchez WAY too much responsibility. As much as folks hate the conservative game planning start getting used to it. If Pitt is any indication of how we'll be playing the rest of the year its going to be a style that tries to gut out wins. It took 3 months to realize where the kid is .... hopefully he continues to show improvement.[/QUOTE]

I really do agree with this. I think this points in a "spot on" fashion where Sanchez in his development. Sometimes he looks like he'll easily surpass the achievements of earlier Jet QB's, including the likes of Namath and O'Brien (My personal Jets best QB ever). Then there are other times where I wouldn't give the guy a mop job he's so bad.

I have my personal reservations about whether he'll ever become the Jets franchise QB they are lacking. Sometimes I'm certain he'll ultimately fail and become just another name in a very long list of QB's the Jets picked and regretted.

And yet there are other times, like the first part of this season, where I was thinking he was definitely on his way. The trouble I have with him right now is saying, "Sanchez is in a slump right now". When I think about that I realize how absurd that statement is. Do all of the great QB's in the league go through slumps? I don't think so. Does Tom Brady go through 3 to 4 game stretches where he's more of a liability than an asset? NO. Does that happen to Peyton Manning? Or Drew Brees, Philip Rivers or any of the other great QB's in this league today? NO. So when Sanchez goes into what is called a slump like when he played NE and Miami recently, I tend to believe he's NOT in a slump, he just ISN'T that good, nor will he ever be.

Now I realize he was facing good defenses in those games and that can have a lot to do with his ultimate success. But when Drew Brees has a bad game, he may have a lot less yardage than he's accustomed to throwing for. He may not throw any touchdowns. But he NEVER has numerous killer turnovers in multiple games that end up being the deciding factor. This is what bothers me about Sanchez.

My hope is that ultimately he'll put it all together and the game ends up looking like something Sanchez was MEANT to do. I just really do not know if he'll ever reach that status. About the best we can hope for from right now is for him to be a game manager. A guy who doesn't turn the ball over. A guy who is very good at taking what the defense is giving him. A guy who leans heavily on a dominant running game and OL. A guy who relies on that domination at the POA to use play action play calls to his advantage.

I DO believe that he COULD win the SB this season just being a game manager. That is because the rest of the New York Jets is very talented. They can pave the way for him to be successful when needed. If the guy from the Ravens can win a SB in 2000 (his name escapes me) then Sanchez can certainly do the same. We just need the rest of the New York Jets to play like they did in last season's playoffs and even BETTER on defense and special teams.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3877122]
    The last line btw, is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

You're ridiculous.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;3877123]Sometimes I'm certain he'll ultimately fail and become just another name in a very long list of QB's the Jets picked and regretted.

[/QUOTE]

What possibly could ever make anyone say this? No matter what he does on a bad day, he's already accomplished more that we had a right to expect given his inexperience

People have to keep in mind QB's his age, his experience, don't do what he has done on the stage he's on.

Nothing like illogical expectations. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;3877128]You're ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Nice answer. Touchy?

Nothing like throwing a nonsensical comment out there and expecting it to go over like a well thought out statement.

But hey, anyone will tell you that it takes years for QB's to develop. But Sanchez has to develop quicker than most that came before him. Has to.

Claiming it was ridiculous was being nice.