Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th and 1 TD

Waterboy

4th and 1 TD

Rex was thinking field goal, Braylon convinces him to go for it. NFL Replay is awesome.

Jets Insider VIP
    Really, Rex was thinking conservative, especially with the way Folk has been playing? That sounds uncharacteristic. Good thing the players are stepping up and giving him ideas :-).
    Steelers could have gone for and probably scored their own field goal, and won, had we done that.

The audio from NFL Network was really interesting to hear!

Rex is clearly focused on FG in his initial discussion with Schotty. Then Braylon shows up, looks right at Rex & says, "Coach, lets GO FOR THIS!"

Without missing a beat, Rex says, "Go for it".

Great sideline footage. Just as if the viewer is standing right on the Jets sideline....

I'm a huge Rex supporter, but am I the only one who thinks that him getting spur of the moment, game changing strategic directives from a WR in his second and possibly last year with the team is not exactly something "good"?

Veteran
    is there anywhere i can find nfl replay online?

[QUOTE=Astoria;3877402]I'm a huge Rex supporter, but am I the only one who thinks that him getting spur of the moment, game changing strategic directives from a WR in his second and possibly last year with the team is not exactly something "good"?[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Totally.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;3877409]Agreed. Totally.[/QUOTE]
    +2

great tuff, just watching it now...after Sanchez scores on the bootleg Rex pumps his fist & screams "way ta stick it up their A$$ES"!!! Our coach is outta his mind & I love it

All League
    [QUOTE=Astoria;3877402]I'm a huge Rex supporter, but am I the only one who thinks that him getting spur of the moment, game changing strategic directives from a WR in his second and possibly last year with the team is not exactly something "good"?[/QUOTE]

i thought that at first, but they're the guys out there doing it. if braylon's confident, then that can bolster rex's confidence and make him change his mind.

or, maybe i'm rationalizing. either way...touchdown!

Plus I think lost in the confusion, Rex was planning on going for it if it was a yard or less so I think Rex would have gone for it anyway given the distance but I like to see the offense have confidence and that Rex gave them the shot. Also, great playcall, I'm still looking to see if Shonn Greene got the first down!!

[QUOTE=stanner;3877433]i thought that at first, but they're the guys out there doing it. if braylon's confident, then that can bolster rex's confidence and make him change his mind.

or, maybe i'm rationalizing. either way...touchdown![/QUOTE]

I agree. Part of the HC's job is to take the pulse of his team and decide what they can do. A HC also has to show his team he believes in them. If the players don't think the HC believes in them, all is lost.

Undrafted Free Agent
    [QUOTE=frankiepapa;3877437]Plus I think lost in the confusion, Rex was planning on going for it if it was a yard or less so I think Rex would have gone for it anyway given the distance but I like to see the offense have confidence and that Rex gave them the shot. Also, great playcall, I'm still looking to see if Shonn Greene got the first down!![/QUOTE]

He definitely would have had the 1st. I was cheering that he had the 1st, before I realized Sanchez was running to the endzone with the ball.

This just adds to it being Braylon's best game as a Jet.

Can't believe Rex was thinking FG. Wow. That's interesting to learn.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=TwoFifths;3877447]He definitely would have had the 1st. I was cheering that he had the 1st, before I realized Sanchez was running to the endzone with the ball.[/QUOTE]

Yep - he got it and then some. I think he got 3 or 4 yards easily. :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=frankiepapa;3877437]Plus I think lost in the confusion, Rex was planning on going for it if it was a yard or less so I think Rex would have gone for it anyway given the distance but I like to see the offense have confidence and that Rex gave them the shot. Also, great playcall, I'm still looking to see if Shonn Greene got the first down!![/QUOTE]

Excellent point. Rex was waiting for the measurement before making the final decision. He was clearly planning to go for it if it was less than a yard.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=124;3877453]This just adds to it being Braylon's best game as a Jet.

Can't believe Rex was thinking FG. Wow. That's interesting to learn.[/QUOTE]

Rex says to Schotty more than a yard and we go for the FG. Braylon says something like go for it, we got it - something to that effect. Rex looks at Schotty and says ok we are going for it.

The actual play call from Schotty to Sanchez was like 10 seconds long!! He was like jumbo 32, offset etc etc...

Is there a need or reason for the plays to be named so long?

So, our punter - not the coach - decides if and when we'll run a fake punt; our kicker - not the coach - decides when we'll attempt a FG; and our WR - not the coach - decides when we'll go for it on 4th and 1.

What the hell does Rex do during games?

What are those headphones hooked up to, his iPod?

Jets Insider VIP

Not at all: the way they played the 2 previous games, Rex was showing good leadership. And Braylon was saying that AFTER Rex decided to go for it.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Tucker134;3877427]Rex pumps his fist & screams "way ta stick it up their A$$ES"!!! Our coach is outta his mind & I love it[/QUOTE]

... amen brotha!!! :yes: ...

l_j_r

is there a clip of this on the internet i can see, or is it strictly NFL Network?