Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brunell says confidence, arm strength are good if Mark Sanchez can't play

Brunell says confidence, arm strength are good if Mark Sanchez can't play

If Mark Sanchez's injury to his throwing shoulder [URL="http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/12/rex_ryan_mark_sanchezs_chances.html"]keeps him out this week against Chicago[/URL], coach Rex Ryan said the Jets would turn to Mark Brunell.

Brunell, who has started one game in the past four seasons, said his confidence in himself and his ability hasn't waned in that time frame.

"There's no reason to not have confidence," Brunell said. "With more playing time and with reps in practice, you have the opportunity to gain some confidence because you're actually doing the plays that will be called in the game. This is a business where youíve got to keep your confidence, whether you're on the field or not."

The 40-year-old said his arm strength is good. "It's certainly rested," he cracked.

Asked how the offense would change, if he were in there instead of Sanchez, he indicated the Jets would draw on plays he's comfortable with and repped in the summertime.

"We probably get back to plays I have done, probably more preseason, training camp type things," he said. "I got some work this week on some new concepts that we had, on third down, on some situational things, so I feel good about the game plan. I think itís a great game plan, so it's just a matter of going out there and, if given the opportunity, executing it."

This week's game is a challenge, against the Bears' No. 8-ranked defense. It's also a critical one, with the Jets having the [URL="http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/12/the_playoff_breakdown_a_look_a.html"]chance to lock up a postseason berth with a win[/URL].

Brunell said he wouldn't be thinking about the implications if he were to play. He would be excited about the opportunity.

"Any opportunity to get on the field is exciting," he said. "This is one of the best jobs in the business, being a quarterback in the NFL. So to be able to get on the field, a chance to get on the field, is pretty thrilling."

[URL]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/12/jets_back-up_qb_mark_brunell_s.html[/URL]

We are so done this week........

These last few days feel like a bad dream......

[QUOTE=Bing in Buffalo;3878250]We are so done this week........

These last few days feel like a bad dream......[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, we don't need to win this game - Jay Cutler will lose it.

If necessary, I'm not scared of this move. Brunell looked decent in pre-season (for what thats worth) and is a true vet like Kitna.

Trust the coaching staff and watch this guy make a few plays for us. Sanchez gets a lot of rest if we win and then we rest the starters against the Bills.

[QUOTE=dassin;3878282]If necessary, I'm not scared of this move. Brunell looked decent in pre-season (for what thats worth) and is a true vet like Kitna.

Trust the coaching staff and watch this guy make a few plays for us. Sanchez gets a lot of rest if we win and then we rest the starters against the Bills.[/QUOTE]

Brunnel looked BAD in preseason games...I think he can do ok and let the run game and defense try to squeak one out...But Brunnell is not Kitna.

The jets are screwed if they have to rely on Brunel to play Qb... He is done!!! Im more comfortable with Clemens at Qb. Clemens came in and won a game last year i believe for the jets.

c'mon. if brunnel has to come in the jets are toast. this guy is just plain bad and it is simply amazing that he is number 2 on the depth chart. what did he do tickle schitty's toes?

[QUOTE=sameoldjets;3878292]c'mon. if brunnel has to come in the jets are toast. this guy is just plain bad and it is simply amazing that he is number 2 on the depth chart. what did he do tickle schitty's toes?[/QUOTE]

Agreed, you can't send an old guy out against that Bears D. Look at what they did to Favre. Brunell isn't even in Favre's ballpark in terms of skill right now either and Favre was like the 30th rated passer this year

If Sanchez doesn't play, we lose badly. Plain and simple

[QUOTE=sameoldjets;3878292]c'mon. if brunnel has to come in the jets are toast. this guy is just plain bad and it is simply amazing that he is number 2 on the depth chart. [B]what did he do tickle schitty's toes?[/[/B]QUOTE]

lol!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=Bing in Buffalo;3878250]We are so done this week........

These last few days feel like a bad dream......[/QUOTE]

Not alot has went right for the Jets this week, we shall see how they respond.

Jets Insider VIP
    Guys, mark brunell was the qb for the jags in 1998 when we played them in the playoffs. Do yo know how long ago that was? It will be a disaster starting brunell. Put clemens in geez.

As much as I'm dreading the sight of a backup behind center, what the Jets need in this game is the guy who gives them the best chance of avoiding turnovers.

If Brunell gets the start, I'm envisioning 8-10 passes being thrown away out of bounds. If Clemens gets the start, I'm envisioning 8-10 passes being thrown in heavy traffic. There are few positives to either guy, so you have to go with the guy whose negatives fit best with the makeup of your team.

The Jets are already a conservative group. So in this game, in these conditions, against this defense, you have to go with the guy who best fits a conservative attack. If the Jets have the ball in scoring position, Brunell is the guy least likely to blow a scoring chance. That's gonna have to be good enough for me.

And it's time for the defense to get a score. We're in Week 16 and Revis has no picks. I know teams are throwing away from him, but Deion still got at least 2 picks every year. Defense hasn't scored a TD since Week 5. It's time to make something happen on that side of the ball and keep the QB from having to win the game.

another reason journalism should not be considered a real career...

"dear mr. sun, how will you feel tomorrow"

tomorrow's headline:

SUN ASSURES WORLD HE WILL RISE TOMORROW.

what do you want brunell to say? he's given up the ghost years ago and they brought him back to pay off scum?

All League
    God help us. :baghead:

6-17, 72 yards, 2 pics, 5 sacks.

That will be Brunnels line if he plays. If he plays we lose.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... brunnell has many good & bad pelts on his wall ...

... clemens has strictly bad & a couple not quite as bad pelts ...

l_j_r

Brunell sounds like a kid in a candy store.

Mark, YOU BETTER PLAY THIS SUNDAY!!! :mad:

Mark my words, if Brunell starts, he will work the shI#$^t out of the Bears. He will show all the weapons that the Jets possess. The Jets are deep in talent around Him, Mark, being the 2nd yr. QB dosnt work them enough. The Jets will beat the Bears. Watch.......they are pretenders, not as good as their record.:yes:

All League
    I remember I was in 5th grade and some random girl had a Mark Brunell jersey (I am now 25) with the Jaguars...the fact that that dude has been around that long and he is our option just scares the living heck out of me...

Like really? Does anyone actually feel comfortable with Mark Brunell taking the field against the Bears and their defense to try to put us in the playoffs?

Anyone who says yes...I am sorry, but you are delusional.

This is bad. Really bad.

Sign Drew Willy and start his ass.

[QUOTE=SouthTown;3878742]I remember I was in 5th grade and some random girl had a Mark Brunell jersey (I am now 25) with the Jaguars...the fact that that dude has been around that long and he is our option just scares the living heck out of me...

Like really? Does anyone actually feel comfortable with Mark Brunell taking the field against the Bears and their defense to try to put us in the playoffs?

Anyone who says yes...I am sorry, but you are delusional.

This is bad. Really bad.

Sign Drew Willy and start his ass.[/QUOTE]

Hey younin don't be so scared. Google Billy Kilmer and George Blanda, have some faith .