Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dustin Keller

Dustin Keller

is there is more frustrating player in the NFL? i mean at least with Baker the touchdown maker we knew he wasn't the most talented guy in the world (although some people thought he was getting wide open on every play and just wasn't getting the ball)...whats Keller's issue? if he is such a mismatch for every linebacker in the NFL what gives?

Gee, I don't know. Could it be the offensive coordinator?

Keller is extraordinarily frustrating and I can't tell whether the problem is: 1. the play designs don't involve him in the way that they should or 2. His route running is off and he's not where he should be, thereby eliminating him as a 1st option or as a checkdown option or 3. if he just gets pushed around at the line and gets knocked off his routes. One thing we do know is that he has streaks of good hands followed by streaks of skillet hands and that Sanchez needs to be 100% on target, without the ball being the slightest bit behind Keller or in front of him. Keller has not shown a consistent ability to make the acrobatic catches that all of Sanchez's targets need to be able to make in order to have success. In other words, part of Keller's problem is Sanchez.

[QUOTE=escamoter2;3878798]Gee, I don't know. Could it be the offensive coordinator?[/QUOTE]

sure that's a component of the problem, but it goes further than that. Keller drops a lot of passes he should catch and may not be the best route runner. He also gets knocked off routes at the LOS to easily for a TE.

[QUOTE=escamoter2;3878798]Gee, I don't know. Could it be the offensive coordinator?[/QUOTE]

that sounds like such a bailout. Been watching football for 20 years...never seen a "talented" player play like this guy because of the OC.

last 7 games...

45,59,25,7,49,27,19 yards (no TD's)...with 46 combined against the pats and the steelers.

i honestly think Sanchez MAY be part of the problem...but Keller as it stands right now is a disappointment in my eyes...

[QUOTE=Dcat;3878802]Keller is extraordinarily frustrating and I can't tell whether the problem is: 1. the play designs don't involve him in the way that they should or 2. His route running is off and he's not where he should be, thereby eliminating him as a 1st option or as a checkdown option or 3. if he just gets pushed around at the line and gets knocked off his routes. One thing we do know is that he has streaks of good hands followed by streaks of skillet hands and that Sanchez needs to be 100% on target, without the ball being the slightest bit behind Keller or in front of him. Keller has not shown a consistent ability to make the acrobatic catches that all of Sanchez's targets need to be able to make in order to have success. In other words, part of Keller's problem is Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

Keller, Braylon, and Holmes all have the same issue....they can make the spectacular catch...but they can also lose focus and drop something you and i could catch. probably not a good thing that they are our top 3 targets.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=K-Met57;3878811]last 7 games...
    (no TD's)...[/QUOTE]

... shouldn't use this to badmouth keller ... as same goes for the entire O ...

l_j_r

[QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;3878815]... shouldn't use this to badmouth keller ... as same goes for the entire O ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

in the last 7 weeks we have scored over 21 points 5 times, hitting over 25 3 times...they haven't been good...but he has contributed almost nothing to those totals.

BTW i just looked at the TE crop that year...and Jermichael Finley went in the 3rd round behind guys like Keller, Carlson, Bennett, and Fred Davis....ouch...

[QUOTE=K-Met57;3878814]Keller, Braylon, and Holmes all have the same issue....they can make the spectacular catch...but they can also lose focus and drop something you and i could catch. probably not a good thing that they are our top 3 targets.[/QUOTE]

Here's a newsflash for you, K-Met :

[b]All Receivers Drop Passes at some time or other.[/b]

I have never seen a Receiver that hasn't dropped at least one pass in their career. Heck, even Reggie Wayne has dropped passes from Manning....

So I don't get why you made that statement.

All League
    Give Keller to Manning or Brady and he would have 1000+ yards and 10 Td's.

He disappeared as soon as they put Holmes in the starting lineup. For that matter Braylon sort of disappeared for a while as well. Braylon had 4 or more receptions in four of the first six games and, excluding the Pittsburgh game, only reached four receptions twice since Holmes began starting (7 games). I don't think it's Keller, the problem lies somewhere between Sanchez and Shotty.

The problem is the QB...reading the defenses quicker to make that split second decision.

[QUOTE=K-Met57;3878811]that sounds like such a bailout. Been watching football for 20 years...[B]never seen a "talented" player play like this guy because of the OC.
    [/B]
    last 7 games...

45,59,25,7,49,27,19 yards (no TD's)...with 46 combined against the pats and the steelers.

i honestly think Sanchez MAY be part of the problem...but Keller as it stands right now is a disappointment in my eyes...[/QUOTE]

We have elite players on the offense and the entire offense extremely underperforms, but you have never seen a talented player play like this? Give me a break. How the hell is Joel Dreessen, who we drafted, good on the Texans? We never take advantage of the talent on this team. It's a joke. A good offensive coordinator would not only have Dustin Keller run streaks and curls from the TE position, but would also have him go in motion and line up wide along the sideline and have passes designed to go to him at that location, especially when a LB is matched up with him.

People have to wake up. When you are complaining about the whole offense underperforming every year, you have to look at the one constant.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 12-24-2010 at 11:50 AM.

[QUOTE=Vin;3878824]Here's a newsflash for you, K-Met :

[b]All Receivers Drop Passes at some time or other.[/b]

I have never seen a Receiver that hasn't dropped at least one pass in their career. Heck, even Reggie Wayne has dropped passes from Manning....

So I don't get why you made that statement.[/QUOTE]

yes, but all receivers don't drop 3 yard slants in the bread basket every other game...and then follow that up with making a one handed catch falling out of bounds while eating a hot dog every 3rd game. Reggie Wayne ever have the ball bounce of his head while running uncovered down the sideline in a dome?

[QUOTE=escamoter2;3878833]We have elite players on the offense and the entire offense extremely underperforms, but you have never seen a talented player play like this? Give me a break. How the hell is Joel Dreessen, who we drafted, good on the Texans? We never take advantage of the talent on this team. It's a joke. A good offensive coordinator would not only have Dustin Keller run streaks and curls from the TE position, but would also have him go in motion and line up wide along the sideline and have passes designed to go to him at that location, especially when a LB is matched up with him.[/QUOTE]

talent overcomes bad coaching...i believe this...and this being the case i think that if Keller was as good as i think he CAN be...Shotty's OC abilities would not have such drastic impact.

but yes, i have seen plenty of talented players under perform...every team has a few.

[QUOTE=K-Met57;3878838]talent overcomes bad coaching...i believe this...and this being the case i think that if Keller was as good as i think he CAN be...Shotty's OC abilities would not have such drastic impact.

but yes, i have seen plenty of talented players under perform...every team has a few.[/QUOTE]

Talent rarely overcomes bad coaching. Can you say Dallas Cowboys? Can you say San Diego Chargers? Can you say Marty Schotteheimer? Good coaching can win you two games. Bad coaching can lose you more than two games.

[QUOTE=Woody56;3878826]Give Keller to Manning or Brady and he would have 1000+ yards and 10 Td's.[/QUOTE]

not many QB's that make anyone they play with good....the guys above ARE those types of QB's.

All League
    It seems like the range at which Sanchez is most inaccurate is the range downfield where Keller would thrive under better accuracy.

[QUOTE=escamoter2;3878842]Talent rarely overcomes bad coaching. Can you say Dallas Cowboys? Can you say San Diego Chargers? Can you say Marty Schotteheimer? Good coaching can win you two games. Bad coaching can lose you more than two games.[/QUOTE]

last time i checked every team you mentioned is good season in and season out...you want to tell me the cowboys sucked this year? or i can tell you that they had the same OC last year when they were ripping it up in the air.