Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenny Tate or Robert Sands?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Kenny Tate or Robert Sands?

I'm going to say up front that I'm taking Tate.

Both of these guys are very big (6'4"+ 215+) safeties with hype either nationally or within their conference. Tate had the better year this year, while Sands got his 15 minutes of hype last year after a big game against Pitt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0o1xMWqCow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyM7E31Csac

Tate reminds me alot of one Kerry Rhodes. Sands is probably considered the better leader of the two.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sands.

I was the first to hype him, so I gotta stay on the train.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Sands.

I was the first to hype him, so I gotta stay on the train.
    The train could work out...he's got Adrian Wilson upside and he's got better hips than last year's jumbo safety (Chancellor from VT).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is 6-5 too tall for safety? That was my big concern, but you guys have been following him what do you think? How's he look in coverage, particularly man coverage?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Is 6-5 too tall for safety? That was my big concern, but you guys have been following him what do you think? How's he look in coverage, particularly man coverage?
    I hate making comparisons like this, but Sands has some Adrian Taylor to him. He's savvy out there. I think he could handle a TE better than most safeties, but I didn't see any WVU in 2010. That plus handling an NFL TE is no easy task.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd go with Sands, just because he's a rare athlete. Safetys don't come along very often who are 6'5" 215. Sky is the limit.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    By Adrian Taylor I meant Adrian Wilson. I'm not very good at this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    By Adrian Taylor I meant Adrian Wilson. I'm not very good at this.
    Maybe subconsciously you meant a combination of Adrian Wilson and Sean Taylor? That would be a hell of a player.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's tough to fully evaluate in WVU's 3-3-5 scheme because his role in games seems to kind of just roam around and hit anything that moves.

But he's really good at that and is a premium athlete.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    neither- marcus ghilchrist/clemson....

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Don't you think teams would be looking to draft him at CB as opposed to S?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan89 View Post
    Don't you think teams would be looking to draft him at CB as opposed to S?
    no- not good enough for cornerback....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris Rucker/Michigan State another CB convert might be worth the look; what are your thoughts on Sands tho?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Chris Rucker/Michigan State another CB convert might be worth the look; what are your thoughts on Sands tho?
    Sands is a year away....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sands is a year away....
    I'll take it and run.Rex is oing to give Jim Leonard every opportinityto run his defense next yr.I can wait a yr if that's what it takes with this kid.The Cat can run and he loves to hit.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I'll take it and run.Rex is oing to give Jim Leonard every opportinityto run his defense next yr.I can wait a yr if that's what it takes with this kid.The Cat can run and he loves to hit.
    correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Sands more of a FS? The Jets have more of an immediate need for the upgrade at FS than SS. Pool and Lowry can still probably hold the fort for a year, however a lot of Jets fans would like to see an immediate impact player at the position.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This...especially the Leonhard part.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Sands more of a FS? The Jets have more of an immediate need for the upgrade at FS than SS. Pool and Lowry can still probably hold the fort for a year, however a lot of Jets fans would like to see an immediate impact player at the position.
    That kid has almost weakside linebacker size,and there's absolutely no way he's a pro FS.He's a rover,someone who can attack the LOS,and still have the ability to run with a TE or a back coming out.Maybe he's a yr away,but i like the way he attacks the ball carrier.

As for Pool,he's lucky if he comes back,and IMHO,Lowery should be the starting FS playing Center field.The Kid has great ball instincts coming forward,but can't find the ball worth a darn running with a receiver.Kyle Wilson is having the same trouble this yr,but he's a rookie and i am willing to give him another yr to see if he improves.Lowery has had 3 yrs,and hasn't gotten any better.That's why both players look so much better playing the slot receivers and TEs than back peddling.

Back to sands finally,he would be a perfect SS in the pros IMHO.He probably won't run real well at the combines.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That kid has almost weakside linebacker size,and there's absolutely no way he's a pro FS.He's a rover,someone who can attack the LOS,and still have the ability to run with a TE or a back coming out.Maybe he's a yr away,but i like the way he attacks the ball carrier.

As for Pool,he's lucky if he comes back,and IMHO,Lowery should be the starting FS playing Center field.The Kid has great ball instincts coming forward,but can't find the ball worth a darn running with a receiver.Kyle Wilson is having the same trouble this yr,but he's a rookie and i am willing to give him another yr to see if he improves.Lowery has had 3 yrs,and hasn't gotten any better.That's why both players look so much better playing the slot receivers and TEs than back peddling.

Back to sands finally,he would be a perfect SS in the pros IMHO.He probably won't run real well at the combines.
    Thanks for the info TinStar

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The whole FS/SS thing is overrated anyway...