Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why on earth did Rex Ryan call timeout after 1st down?

Why on earth did Rex Ryan call timeout after 1st down?

Is there any reason on this earth to call timeout after 1st down? You let the clock run and there was 2:43 left so they have to snap again before the 2 minute warning. 3rd down is after 2 minutes and you stop them and you still have a timeout left.

UTTERLY INEXCUSABLE.

It was the correct thing to do.

It is you who are stupid.

(But Rex does suck as a head coach).

OP is right. Think about it. Wasted 40 seconds. Whatever, Sanchez still would have thrown the INT.

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;3881319]It was the correct thing to do.

(But Rex does suck as a head coach).[/QUOTE]

And you have no brain. If he doesnt call timeout they have to snap again before the 2 minute warning for 2nd down and they still have a timeout. How can you possibly call a timeout in that situation? Explain that to me Einstein.

No it wasn't. We would have had an extra 30 or so seconds. I was very upset when he called the timeout with 2:43 on the clock. I think it was after 2nd down.

it was absolutely the INCORRECT thing to do and just made no sense what so ever

How does it feel to call someone stupid and be 100% wrong?

Veteran
    Knoxville, TN, but originally from NW Mass.

No it wasn't. The OP is right.

[QUOTE=KnoxJetFan;3881361]No it wasn't. The OP is right.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I'm right.

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;3881365]Nope. I'm right.[/QUOTE]

How?? Just admit you were wrong and eat your crow. There is nothing to even argue here.

[QUOTE=JB1089;3881340]No it wasn't. We would have had an extra 30 or so seconds. I was very upset when he called the timeout with 2:43 on the clock. I think it was after 2nd down.[/QUOTE]

Nah, it was after 1st down. After that play the Bears ran 1 more play outside the 2 minute warning and 1 more play inside the 2 minute warning.

[QUOTE=jetglass;3881295]Is there any reason on this earth to call timeout after 1st down? You let the clock run and there was 2:43 left so they have to snap again before the 2 minute warning. 3rd down is after 2 minutes and you stop them and you still have a timeout left.

UTTERLY INEXCUSABLE.[/QUOTE]

AND how on earth did the announcers not even mention this? It cost the Jets the game. They have 1:50 left on the final drive instead of 1:05 and dont have to force a deep pass to Holmes.

come on Vick I expect you to know better. It was a stupid call and sad that even fans on a forum know. There's 2:48 or so left. They have the first down. They'll run a play before the 2 min warning and the time stops. Now you have 2 time outs. Bears will absolutely play it the same way and run 2 times in a row. You call both time outs and they'll be punting with around 1:50. HUGE difference and it leaves you able to go underneath and not have to take shots down field right away. The punt coverage was awful as well. I have no clue why Cotch was so deep. In that case you stand at the 45 and fair catch it. Had he just played it straight up we'd have the ball on the 42 or so rather than the 30. Just horrible coaching there at the end. Rex's clock management SUCKs.

[QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;3881533]come on Vick I expect you to know better. It was a stupid call and sad that even fans on a forum know. There's 2:48 or so left. They have the first down. They'll run a play before the 2 min warning and the time stops. Now you have 2 time outs. Bears will absolutely play it the same way and run 2 times in a row. You call both time outs and they'll be punting with around 1:50. HUGE difference and it leaves you able to go underneath and not have to take shots down field right away. The punt coverage was awful as well. I have no clue why Cotch was so deep. In that case you stand at the 45 and fair catch it. Had he just played it straight up we'd have the ball on the 42 or so rather than the 30. Just horrible coaching there at the end. Rex's clock management SUCKs.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about after Forte got the first down at the 15 yard line?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetglass;3881346]How does it feel to call someone stupid and be 100% wrong?[/QUOTE]

Like every waking moment of an idiots life?

He's really used to it.:D

You are wrong on this one... You do the math and then let me know....

Veteran
    Im ok with the TO it's the stupid fake punt that lost the game and no pass rush.p

All League
    [QUOTE=jetglass;3881295]Is there any reason on this earth to call timeout after 1st down? You let the clock run and there was 2:43 left so they have to snap again before the 2 minute warning. 3rd down is after 2 minutes and you stop them and you still have a timeout left.

UTTERLY INEXCUSABLE.[/QUOTE]

I was screaming this in my living room!!!

Rex should be capable of looking at the clock and knowing, intuitively, what the right move is. It should be second nature.

I will be completely fair and admit at the time I was saying call the timeout. I was 100% wrong, and so was Rex. That is flat out bad clock management.

[QUOTE=CGJET;3881611]Im ok with the TO it's the stupid fake punt that lost the game and no pass rush.p[/QUOTE]

How are you okay with that???? Huge difference getting the ball with 1:05 left versus 1:50. If anything that cost us more than the fake punt, being that the fake punt was only in the 3rd quarter.