Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Politics -Democrat Sweeney will be in charge while Gov. Christie vacations

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

NJ Politics -Democrat Sweeney will be in charge while Gov. Christie vacations

northjersey.com/

I thought under Governor Christie’s administration NJ was going to be run more like a private sector corporation?

But allowing the Boss and the #2 to both go on vacation at the same time?

What corporation allows that?

Sound like a waste of taxpayer's money to me.

Saturday, December 25, 2010
    Last updated: Saturday December 25, 2010, 4:27 PM

BY GINGER GIBSON AND MATT FRIEDMAN

NorthJersey.com

STATE HOUSE BUREAU

TRENTON -- Santa left presents under the tree this morning for two New Jersey politicians -- the Christie family is headed to Disney World and a Democrat gets to be governor for a few days.

Gov. Chris Christie, along with his wife Mary Pat and their children Andrew, Sarah, Patrick and Bridget, will be headed to the Florida theme park on Sunday and will return on Thursday. While he's away, Christie gives control over of the state over to the acting governor.

Since Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno is also vacationing with family for the holiday, it will be a blue Christmas in New Jersey. Democratic Senate President Stephen Sweeney (D-Gloucester) will become governor.

“I was in shock. There was no way in the world I thought they would let that happen. I’m sure whoever did the scheduling had a heart attack,” Sweeney said, adding that he’s taking the responsibility seriously.

Sweeney (D-Gloucester) said Christie told him Wednesday that both he and Guadagno would be out-of-state, making him acting governor.

Theoretically, Sweeney could sign legislation Christie hasn’t acted on or even file nominations Christie would never dream of filing. Sweeney could even re-nominate former state Supreme Court Justice John Wallace Jr. to the bench, whose pass-over by Christie in favor of attorney Anne Patterson angered Sweeney. But he won’t.

“I wouldn’t do that to him. The guy is going on vacation with his family, and I’m not going to ruin it by creating mischief,” said Sweeney. “The governor’s office is something that people shouldn’t think is a toy. It’s a serious responsibility.”

The governor's office isn't planning to lock away any unsigned bills, Maria Commella, Christie communications director, said, adding they trust Sweeney.

“I hope he rests up because when he comes back we’re going to start fighting again,” Sweeney said.

Sweeney was acting governor in January, while former Gov. Jon Corzine was on vacation and just days before Christie was sworn in.

All League
    Buster, Are you a school teacher or a union rep?

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    northjersey.com/

I thought under Governor Christie’s administration NJ was going to be run more like a private sector corporation?

But allowing the Boss and the #2 to both go on vacation at the same time?

What corporation allows that?

Sound like a waste of taxpayer's money to me.
    You're becoming extremely boring.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by acepepe View Post
    Buster, Are you a school teacher or a union rep?
    Nope I am an IT guy

All League
    Nope I am an IT guy
    Your the "IT"guy? bet you and your cousin are a big hit a those W. Village party's.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post

And your responses are predictable. Someone (Say, me) postss an article advancing the notion that a Republican making is making a bad political/Policy move and you attack the poster and not the article or information posted.

I ignore posts that I think are frivolous or boring. Others might say "who cares" it is a minor issue. Still others would say this is the age of the internet and jet aircraft and therefore the Governor can do his Governor thing from Florida or get home within hours.

However I say this is not a frivolous issue and Governor Christie is all about cutting the waste out of NJ's state budget.

Why do we pay the LT Governor $141,000?

Answer: to fill in for the Governor when he is out of the State or if he/she is incapacitated (surgery or the like) or if the Governor ends his/her term early. So here we are both Governor and Lt Governor are out of NJ and they planned it, It is not as if they were snowed in an airport somewhere. Do their staffs communicate?

As for you Paulie if this is a political forum and you are a moderator you should try to ease off on your condescending attitude when responding to posters you disagree with.

All League
    Your the "IT"guy? bet you and your cousin are a big hit a those W. Village party's.
    I do not understand the reference you made.

JetsFan2012
    And your responses are predictable. Someone (Say, me) postss an article advancing the notion that a Republican making is making a bad political/Policy move and you attack the poster and not the article or information posted.
    My responses are predictable because you post the same thing time and time again -- you copy and paste and entire article from the Star Ledger criticizing Christie, and either don't comment at all or write a couple of smarmy sentences about how he's a terrible governor. You rarely give any analysis or background to your line of reasoning and provide no opening interesting, thought-provoking discussion.

Going on vacation isn't a policy move. It's the week between Christmas and New Years. The legislature isn't in session and nothing is going on. Even Sweeney said he was just going to sit back and keep up the status quo because that's the thing to do.

I ignore posts that I think are frivolous or boring. Others might say "who cares" it is a minor issue. Still others would say this is the age of the internet and jet aircraft and therefore the Governor can do his Governor thing from Florida or get home within hours.

However I say this is not a frivolous issue and Governor Christie is all about cutting the waste out of NJ's state budget.

Why do we pay the LT Governor $141,000?
    Because the state required we have a Lt. Governor after the mess and confusion that occurred with McGreevey stepping down and then Corzine getting into a car accident. The state reasoned that many other states have Lt. Governors so we should too. This wasn't an insidious Republican plot to waste money. In addition, she also serves as Secretary of State.

Answer: to fill in for the Governor when he is out of the State or if he/she is incapacitated (surgery or the like) or if the Governor ends his/her term early. So here we are both Governor and Lt Governor are out of NJ and they planned it, It is not as if they were snowed in an airport somewhere. Do their staffs communicate?
    The fact that you think this is such a big deal exposes your petty bias and thinly veiled agenda: Christie is always wrong and is deserving of criticism for even the smallest, most insignificant reasons. Gee, what a surprise.

As for you Paulie if this is a political forum and you are a moderator you should try to ease off on your condescending attitude when responding to posters you disagree with.
    I'll thank you not to lecture me. My condescension towards you has nothing to do with your political ideology; it has everything to do with your tired, incessant axe to grind. I have a feeling that if we polled the posters here on the politics forum, they'd agree that your posts on Christie are redundant and boring.
    Last edited by JetsFan2012; 12-27-2010 at 08:11 PM.

All League
    I do not understand the reference you made.
    Not an Addams family fan? IT (not, eye tee) making a funny! you have Buster Keaton as your av just assumed you had a keen sense of humor.

All League

My responses are predictable because you post the same thing time and time again -- you copy and paste and entire article from the Star Ledger criticizing Christie, and either don't comment at all or write a couple of smarmy sentences about how he's a terrible governor. You rarely give any analysis or background to your line of reasoning and provide no opening interesting, thought-provoking discussion.
    I cut and pasted from the Bergen Record.

Going on vacation isn't a policy move. It's the week between Christmas and New Years. The legislature isn't in session and nothing is going on. Even Sweeney said he was just going to sit back and keep up the status quo because that's the thing to do.

2+ feet of snow fell in NJ
    10,000 NJ residents are without power
    People are stranded in and sleeping on the floor of Newark airport
    Mass transit is not working all over the state due to the storm. The busses will not be running until Tuesday morning and most trains are not running.

Mayor Bloomberg is not on vacation he is on TV

Because the state required we have a Lt. Governor after the mess and confusion that occurred with McGreevey stepping down and then Corzine getting into a car accident. The state reasoned that many other states have Lt. Governors so we should too. This wasn't an insidious Republican plot to waste money. In addition, she also serves as Secretary of State.
    You neglected to mention Governor Whitman (R) stepping down to head up the EPA leaving DiFrancesco as Governor. Governor Whitman then went on to tell the 9/11 cleanup workers the air was fine. Don’t worry.

Never said they are trying to waste money but the $141,000 being paid to the LT Governor would cover 3 teachers’ salaries. It seems to me if you are part of the Christie administration getting paid and not fulfilling your primary function it is OK. But if you are a DPW worker and the same is true your job is toast. If the Governor wants to be a hard-a$$ about wasted payroll he needs to investigate his number two. Let’s see him be a hard-a$$ to a non-union eff up. He should review the procedures of his office. If the #1 is out of jurisdiction then #2 has to be there. Pretty freaking simple if you ask me, I have never worked a job where that was not the rule.

The fact that you think this is such a big deal exposes your petty bias and thinly veiled agenda: Christie is always wrong and is deserving of criticism for even the smallest, most insignificant reasons. Gee, what a surprise.
    These are the same exact tactics Governor Christie used to get elected. He pounded Governor Corzine for every misstep. Governor Christie ran on Governor Corzine’s record not his own. Christie’s game has been if you take the job and do something politically stupid you will get bashed. These are the rules that the Governor has implemented. turnabout is fair play. Pay attention.

I'll thank you not to lecture me. My condescension towards you has nothing to do with your political ideology; it has everything to do with your tired, incessant axe to grind. I have a feeling that if we polled the posters here on the politics forum, they'd agree that your posts on Christie are redundant and boring.
    Got it, condescension is good. And don’t you lecture me on me not lecturing you.

All League
    Not an Addams family fan? IT (not, eye tee) making a funny! you have Buster Keaton as your av just assumed you had a keen sense of humor.

Hall Of Fame
    Yea, thank god no one constantly brings up the same stuff on here time and time again.

The price of gold or just outright ripping the President no matter the topic.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Yea, thank god no one constantly brings up the same stuff on here time and time again.

The price of gold or just outright ripping the President no matter the topic.
    And the same is true in this case for Christie.

JetsFan2012
    I cut and pasted from the Bergen Record.

Mass transit is not working all over the state due to the storm. The busses will not be running until Tuesday morning and most trains are not running.

Mayor Bloomberg is not on vacation he is on TV

You neglected to mention Governor Whitman (R) stepping down to head up the EPA leaving DiFrancesco as Governor. Governor Whitman then went on to tell the 9/11 cleanup workers the air was fine. Don’t worry.

Never said they are trying to waste money but the $141,000 being paid to the LT Governor would cover 3 teachers’ salaries. It seems to me if you are part of the Christie administration getting paid and not fulfilling your primary function it is OK. But if you are a DPW worker and the same is true your job is toast. If the Governor wants to be a hard-a$$ about wasted payroll he needs to investigate his number two. Let’s see him be a hard-a$$ to a non-union eff up. He should review the procedures of his office. If the #1 is out of jurisdiction then #2 has to be there. Pretty freaking simple if you ask me, I have never worked a job where that was not the rule.

These are the same exact tactics Governor Christie used to get elected. He pounded Governor Corzine for every misstep. Governor Christie ran on Governor Corzine’s record not his own. Christie’s game has been if you take the job and do something politically stupid you will get bashed. These are the rules that the Governor has implemented. turnabout is fair play. Pay attention.

Got it, condescension is good. And don’t you lecture me on me not lecturing you.

Blah blah blah partisan b.s. blah blah blah

Btw, I saw Bloomberg's press conference today. Basically he said, "Everyone calm down, it's not like it's never snowed before. If you can get out of your house and use public transportation then relax and go see a play." Yeah, we're in the midst of a national crisis -- get Christie back here immediately!

Hall Of Fame
    And the same is true in this case for Christie.
    Don't seem to recall you calling the other poster's out?????????????

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I thought under Governor Christie’s administra....

Sack up. We had 2 feet drop on us in VA, a state that never gets that kind of snow.......twice, within a week......and not once did we require our Governor to save us.

So buses and trains aren't running, welcome to snow. I'd think a NJ guy would be used to it, but I guess in the grand crusade to hate anything and everything Christie does, even snow is a cause celeb for you. Because, as we both know, the Governor usually works power lines, drives buses, and personally saves people trapped by snow....

Hey, maybe you can blame him for Global Warming too. You're welcome for your next thread topic.
    Last edited by Warfish; 12-28-2010 at 12:45 AM.

Per Buster "Never said they are trying to waste money but the $141,000 being paid to the LT Governor would cover 3 teachers’ salaries."

This quote above is the perfect example of the OP as well as most americans misnomers about government union labor. The OP says that $141,000 can cover 3 teachers salaries. The reality is that an average NJ teacher with 10years or more of work history earns a base salary around $70,000. On top of that they have a benefits package that costs approximately $70,000 per year. The actual cost for a teacher in NJ with experience is approximately $140,000. Thats why the state is going bankrupt. The blame lies in politicians that negotiate deals with unions that are designed to defer costs to later years. They rightfully know that these benefits are sacred cows and generally it is political suicide to fight the unions. Almost all the states have these same issues. It makes what Christie is trying to do in New Jersey so admirable. He is shooting straight with the public and trying to address an issue that no previous scumbag politician had the courage to tackle.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Per Buster "Never said they are trying to waste money but the $141,000 being paid to the LT Governor would cover 3 teachers’ salaries."

This quote above is the perfect example of the OP as well as most americans misnomers about government union labor. The OP says that $141,000 can cover 3 teachers salaries. The reality is that an average NJ teacher with 10years or more of work history earns a base salary around $70,000. On top of that they have a benefits package that costs approximately $70,000 per year. The actual cost for a teacher in NJ with experience is approximately $140,000. Thats why the state is going bankrupt. The blame lies in politicians that negotiate deals with unions that are designed to defer costs to later years. They rightfully know that these benefits are sacred cows and generally it is political suicide to fight the unions. Almost all the states have these same issues. It makes what Christie is trying to do in New Jersey so admirable. He is shooting straight with the public and trying to address an issue that no previous scumbag politician had the courage to tackle.
    You're right.

All teachers in NJ should have to commute from rural Pennsylvania and Sullivan County NY. That way, they can ACTUALLY live off of 35k/year and afford neat stuff like a home, groceries and a Honda Civic with which to commute 2 hours in every day to get to the elementary school they work at.

I mean...what's wrong with these people Just because you teach in NJ doesn't mean you should be able to afford to also live there.

j/k

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post

While all you say is true....you will be demonized for it. It is one of the reasons this continues to happen.

When you bring to light the fact that 90 percent of private industry does not have anywhere near the "package" of a civil servant, you are demonized as ungrateful, angry etc... economically, it is unsustainable and drives young workers to government. Look at the lines of kids to take civil service tests.

Politicians in general are scared to death of public employee unions. That in turn has allowed people thousands of people to fully retire at 50 and under. Can't seem to find that job in private?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    the right wingers have bashed the source but the executive in charge should plan vacations such that his 2nd in command has coverage when he is away (and vice versa).

No one's saying he can't go on vacation but they both shouldn't be gone when the state could possibly go into emergency.

the bottom line it was kinda dumb for this to happen. But since he's a right wing folk hero he can do no wrong around here.