Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Passrushing OLB's who should be in our range

Jets Insider VIP

Passrushing OLB's who should be in our range

Ryan Kerrigan - Purdue

Von Miller - Texas A&M

Jeremy Beal - Oklahoma

Justin Houston - Georgia

As of right now, I think these are four names that we should keep a very close eye on. I think we're all in agreement that our passrush, or lackthereof, sucks ass. So let's get this problem solved for once and for all.

The above four names are all guys who will probably be taken between picks 20-45. Guys who are 1st round or borderline 1st round talents that could fill an area of tremendous need.

I favor Kerrigan the most, but that may be wishful thinking. Odds are he'll go in the Top 20, possibly Top 15 this April.

I don't know much about Miller so maybe you guys could help me with that one. Beal has the production but when watching him play, he seems a bit raw. Not many passrush moves at all.

Aside from Kerrigan, my second in line would have to be Justin Houston. Perfect build and is a monster off the edge. We need some speed in our LB corps and he definitely brings that.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thoughts?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Ryan Kerrigan - Purdue

Von Miller - Texas A&M

Jeremy Beal - Oklahoma

Justin Houston - Georgia

As of right now, I think these are four names that we should keep a very close eye on. I think we're all in agreement that our passrush, or lackthereof, sucks ass. So let's get this problem solved for once and for all.

The above four names are all guys who will probably be taken between picks 20-45. Guys who are 1st round or borderline 1st round talents that could fill an area of tremendous need.

I favor Kerrigan the most, but that may be wishful thinking. Odds are he'll go in the Top 20, possibly Top 15 this April.

I don't know much about Miller so maybe you guys could help me with that one. Beal has the production but when watching him play, he seems a bit raw. Not many passrush moves at all.

Aside from Kerrigan, my second in line would have to be Justin Houston. Perfect build and is a monster off the edge. We need some speed in our LB corps and he definitely brings that.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thoughts?
    Kerrigan- like him as a one-gap DE ala Brandon Graham.....

Miller- terrific all around player but could be gone....

Beal- concerns about him playing in space....

Houston- 50/50 on entering and i would stay away.....he's great out of a three point stance but looks brain dead when asked to stand-up, diagnose the action and play in space....

All Pro
    Miller would be a great pick but with all the 3-4 teams desperate for rushers, he's probably going to be gone by that point.

Maybe if the Jets lose to the Bills, they can improve their draft position by 5 slots. It's a meaningless game anyways.

With the lack of 3-4 OLB talent, I'd go balls to the wall for Woodley. Then since this is a pretty deep class for 3-4 DE shore up the line in the draft. We have some decisions to make regarding cap space, and while it may surprise some, I think new talent might be the better choice over keeping current players.

As for Miller not a big fan, speed rushes all day with a great motor but lacks moves IMHO. Aldon Smith would be my choice in the second round. Otherwise it's slim pickings in this draft. Possibly Akeem Ayers from UCLA in the 1st who will bring some much need speed to the field, but he is more of an all around OLB not really a pass rushing terror.
    Last edited by TheMo; 12-27-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Ryan Kerrigan - Purdue

Von Miller - Texas A&M

Jeremy Beal - Oklahoma

Justin Houston - Georgia

Kerrigan
    has never played in space, And will not help in any pass coverage area.
    I see his value higher to a 4-3 team

Von Miller,
    Sorry, I dont like him. a speed rusher that to me takes too wide/deep of an angle, At 240lb I don't see him sealing the edge as a 3-4 olb. another 4-3 guy IMO.

Beal,

has played standing up in the past, From what I seen he has good lane disipline, but is not no 4.65 guy.

Houston.

The best of the bunch. has played 3-4 and is faster than Beal. My hope for the Pats at 15 or after a slight trade down.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Miller would be a great pick but with all the 3-4 teams desperate for rushers, he's probably going to be gone by that point.

Maybe if the Jets lose to the Bills, they can improve their draft position by 5 slots. It's a meaningless game anyways.
    for the Draft playoffs teams are reseeded according to how far they go..Last year although the Jets were 9-7 they picked #29...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    for the Draft playoffs teams are reseeded according to how far they go..Last year although the Jets were 9-7 they picked #29...
    I thought that only applies for the final four? Guess I was wrong.

i know CBNY said he was a pure 4-3 end but I still like Jabaal Sheard from Pittsburgh. Rex can find a way to use this guy. depending on what he runs, he's a poor man's Johnny abe.

I think if you make the playoffs everyone gets re-seeded

Super bowl winner gets 32, loser 31 as always.
    Then the two conference runners up pick 29 and 30, then by record.
    Then the semi final losers pick 25,26,27 and 28 then by record
    then the 4 wild card game losers pick 21,22,23 and 24- then by record

Kerrigan
    Miller
    Beal
    Houston

I prefer to get OLBs through FA, unless we can get Robert Quinn. Kerrigan reminds me of Pace, but I don't trust guys to just walk in and get this D. Miller can play, and I want to see how his offseason goes. Beal's good too. Houston I haven't seen anything of ever.

I can see Kerrigan going in the first...Miller is early second...Houston and Beal are probably 3-4.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 12-28-2010 at 11:33 PM.

how about pernell mcphee miss st - transitioned to standup end this year

http://www.freep.com/article/2010122...ts-to-new-role

All Pro
    Does South Carolina Cliff Matthews project back to 34 OLB after bulking up to play DE over the past few seasons.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Does South Carolina Cliff Matthews project back to 34 OLB after bulking up to play DE over the past few seasons.
    possibly- he's has a nice frame and could grow into a 4-3 DE....

none of these players will make a **** of difference on our roster for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    how about pernell mcphee miss st - transitioned to standup end this year

http://www.freep.com/article/2010122...ts-to-new-role
    I dont know, I just think he is too big, i see him as a Steeler DE that will drop
    back during a zone blitz

If your looking for a 'elephant" type player, Similar to how Johnson, used Taylor, Belichick used McGinnest and Seifert used Haley, Bailey From Miami would be a good choice and good value in the bottom 1/4 of the round. it would be a project, but he is certainly athletic enough and in his last interview he said he was at 275lb

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Kerrigan- like him as a one-gap DE ala Brandon Graham.....

Miller- terrific all around player but could be gone....

Beal- concerns about him playing in space....

Houston- 50/50 on entering and i would stay away.....he's great out of a three point stance but looks brain dead when asked to stand-up, diagnose the action and play in space....
    CBNY, Sort of off topic--since he is on the Jets PS, what did you think of Cody Brown coming out of UConn?

CBNY, Sort of off topic--since he is on the Jets PS, what did you think of Cody Brown coming out of UConn?
    im not going to address this directly but it should be noted with Cody Brown and Shawn Crable and Westerman perpetually inactive, it makes a 3-4 OLB pick in round 1 less likely. They at have some guys there... and no obvious plans to cut Pace/Thomas. Heck maybe they get another year out of JT.

3-4 DE specifically after Ellis leaves will be a bigger need, JMO.

im not going to address this directly but it should be noted with Cody Brown and Shawn Crable and Westerman perpetually inactive, it makes a 3-4 OLB pick in round 1 less likely. They at have some guys there... and no obvious plans to cut Pace/Thomas. Heck maybe they get another year out of JT.

3-4 DE specifically after Ellis leaves will be a bigger need, JMO.
    But can Brown and/or Crable play/provide a pass rush at the NFL level?
    That's the question.

But can Brown and/or Crable play/provide a pass rush at the NFL level?
    That's the question.
    let me also add that recently it's been better to take mid-late rounders and turn them into 3-4 OLB rather than use a high pick on this player. It's a project considering hardly any college defenses run that system. for every Terrell Suggs there are 10 guys like James Harrison and Cameron Wake who were not 1st rounders... or even drafted. Woodley was a 2nd etc.

So to summarize they will address it but probably not high.

Jets Insider VIP
    let me also add that recently it's been better to take mid-late rounders and turn them into 3-4 OLB rather than use a high pick on this player. It's a project considering hardly any college defenses run that system. for every Terrell Suggs there are 10 guys like James Harrison and Cameron Wake who were not 1st rounders... or even drafted. Woodley was a 2nd etc.

So to summarize they will address it but probably not high.
    I think the majority of us would agree that improving the passrush should be our top priority this offseason. If it's that obvious to us then the front office and coaching staff has to see it as well. Why wouldn't we address the issue early on in the draft?

You can make the argument that you can potentially find good players at every position late in the draft. It doesn't stop teams from using those early picks though.

There's a snow balls chance in hell that Pittsburgh lets Woodley hit the open market so what are the alternatives other than spending a high pick on a passrusher?

This is something that absolutely has to be addressed.