Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52

Thread: Passrushing OLB's who should be in our range

  1. #21
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    City of Big Shoulders
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    But can Brown and/or Crable play/provide a pass rush at the NFL level?
    Short answer? No.

    I don't know what the problem with Crable is, I think he is just one of those guys that isn't going to get it. All the athletic talent in the world, but just can't seem to put it together on the field.

    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    let me also add that recently it's been better to take mid-late rounders and turn them into 3-4 OLB rather than use a high pick on this player. It's a project considering hardly any college defenses run that system. for every Terrell Suggs there are 10 guys like James Harrison and Cameron Wake who were not 1st rounders... or even drafted. Woodley was a 2nd etc.

    So to summarize they will address it but probably not high.
    I run into the same problems on NE boards, everyone wants to draft the great undersized college DE and stand him up and the pass rush is fixed. For most guys the transition takes time. I'm pretty happy with Cunningham in the 2nd last year, he is playing better every week, and hopefully by next year he won't have to think as much, and the stats (sack/pressures) will come.

    Much like QBs, the DE --> OLB transitions have a pretty high bust rate, and I don't want to chance it with a 1st rounder. Give me a big/ugly 3-4 DE thank you very much.

    SSDD

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    what are the alternatives other than spending a high pick on a passrusher?

    This is something that absolutely has to be addressed.
    it depends on how much we believe in players like Beal... might be 2nd rounder anyway

    i have more faith in the 3-4 De bumper crop of Watt, Heyward, Clayborn etc than the OLBs.

  3. #23
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SEPatsFan View Post
    Much like QBs, the DE --> OLB transitions have a pretty high bust rate, and I don't want to chance it with a 1st rounder. Give me a big/ugly 3-4 DE thank you very much.
    agree completely with the pats fan - didn't the Jets already get burned with a 1st round De/olb convert with Gholston?

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,161
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    it depends on how much we believe in players like Beal... might be 2nd rounder anyway

    i have more faith in the 3-4 De bumper crop of Watt, Heyward, Clayborn etc than the OLBs.
    What about a DE that stays a DE...just not a typical space eating "steelers-type 3-4 DE".

    Obviously its hard to find the next suggs....but we are definitely not a typical 3-4 defense, so if I really have no problem with an "undersized" DE who can really rush the passer. Maybe an allen bailey type player.

    Also, with the depth of DEs available, I wouldnt be against trading back and getting an extra pick. We really need some youth and speed on our defense so the more players the better.

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, we don't really need someone who is able to play in space. We just need a pure pass rusher. Someone who can rush the passer in clear pass rushing situations.

    Houston is not that guy... Lacks the extra bit of desire needed and the guy doesn't have the next level burst and certainly any next level strength.

    I remember games I watched of Miller last year and he simply didn't have the strength at the point to do anything against the run. He did have a good edge rush, and faiirly good speed around the edge though. Have to really watch some games of him before knowing for sure. Either way, seems he's going top 10 right now so no luck with that.

    Beal I watched one game of this year and was very underwhelmed. Have to watch some more to say for sure.

    Kerrigan I was only able to see against Notre Dame and there wasn't overwhelmed by I have to see a couple more games. Especially that game against Michigan where he was so productive and I'm curious to see how he got those sacks.



    Either way, another bad year for pass rushers imo... Have to go back to see Quinn with UNC from last year, so perhaps he's one of the few in this year's class with next level ability at that spot.


    I still think corner is one of the best positions for this year.

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,969
    Post Thanks / Like
    f the draft

    Woodley, a first and a 3rd

    do it

    or ur all crazy!!!!!!!!!

  7. #27
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,152
    Post Thanks / Like
    And this is where the Jets run into problems by having 4 draft picks a year. If you have more picks to play with you are much more apt to get that guy in the mid/late rounds that can make a transition and including drafting multiple players of the same position. You really improve your chances of coming up with a 'find' if you take more than one player in your position of weakness (See Kerry Rhodes and Andre Maddox)

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    possibly- he's has a nice frame and could grow into a 4-3 DE....

    The reason i mentioned this player is because he's said to have a non stop motor,was an olber before which means he understands the position.The other thins is i believe he has a problem gaining wei.ght.

    Sounds like a not as quick John Abraham but maybe i'm just dreaming

  9. #29
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,437
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    agree completely with the pats fan - didn't the Jets already get burned with a 1st round De/olb convert with Gholston?
    Haha, so?

    What are we supposed to do, never draft a passrusher again because Gholston didn't work out?

  10. #30
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    First of all, we don't really need someone who is able to play in space. We just need a pure pass rusher. Someone who can rush the passer in clear pass rushing situations.

    Houston is not that guy... Lacks the extra bit of desire needed and the guy doesn't have the next level burst and certainly any next level strength.

    I remember games I watched of Miller last year and he simply didn't have the strength at the point to do anything against the run. He did have a good edge rush, and faiirly good speed around the edge though. Have to really watch some games of him before knowing for sure. Either way, seems he's going top 10 right now so no luck with that.

    Beal I watched one game of this year and was very underwhelmed. Have to watch some more to say for sure.

    Kerrigan I was only able to see against Notre Dame and there wasn't overwhelmed by I have to see a couple more games. Especially that game against Michigan where he was so productive and I'm curious to see how he got those sacks.



    Either way, another bad year for pass rushers imo... Have to go back to see Quinn with UNC from last year, so perhaps he's one of the few in this year's class with next level ability at that spot.


    I still think corner is one of the best positions for this year.
    I disagree with that assessment. I know the guy reportedly has some issues upstairs, but physically he is not lacking.

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Haha, so?

    What are we supposed to do, never draft a passrusher again because Gholston didn't work out?
    not with a top 10 pick and not while they are running that defense. they can draft 4 pass rushers next year but do it after round 1 is what im saying. it's a conversion pick where-ever it is made that player will be a project.

  12. #32
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,969
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    not with a top 10 pick and not while they are running that defense. they can draft 4 pass rushers next year but do it after round 1 is what im saying. it's a conversion pick where-ever it is made that player will be a project.
    thats the point that ppl don't get.

    the player you get in the draft next year unless his name is bowers will _probably_ not have an impact on this defense next year.

  13. #33
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    thats the point that ppl don't get.

    the player you get in the draft next year unless his name is bowers will _probably_ not have an impact on this defense next year.
    probably won't happen even if his name is bowers...

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    probably won't happen even if his name is bowers...
    Correct... Bowers is not going to make that big an impact and I personally wouldn't take him top 20. He'll definitely go extremely high but there are some things missing. He has too many plays where he's ok just hanging out on the outside and not be a factor. He also doesn't show that next level quickness on the edge. Good quickness, just not next level.

    After I watched beal I see nothing there...

    Have to go back and watch quinn from last year tho. Perhaps he's that guy with some serious ability.


    I do like what I've seen at some other positions. Ot seems very strong. Solder isn't good but I really like carom, love and Sherrod. Carom would be awesome at rt for us. Even tho love isn't huge, he's still very good in the run game. Most importantly good in the pass game.

    De is strong too for our system. Watt looks good. Jordan, very good. Couple others as well.


    Nt and dt I love Jarvis Jenkins and powe. Great strength at the point and both are guaranteed good NFL players barring unpredictable injury.

  15. #35
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Correct... Bowers is not going to make that big an impact and I personally wouldn't take him top 20. He'll definitely go extremely high but there are some things missing. He has too many plays where he's ok just hanging out on the outside and not be a factor. He also doesn't show that next level quickness on the edge. Good quickness, just not next level.

    After I watched beal I see nothing there...

    Have to go back and watch quinn from last year tho. Perhaps he's that guy with some serious ability.


    I do like what I've seen at some other positions. Ot seems very strong. Solder isn't good but I really like carom, love and Sherrod. Carom would be awesome at rt for us. Even tho love isn't huge, he's still very good in the run game. Most importantly good in the pass game.

    De is strong too for our system. Watt looks good. Jordan, very good. Couple others as well.


    Nt and dt I love Jarvis Jenkins and powe. Great strength at the point and both are guaranteed good NFL players barring unpredictable injury.
    bowers is the quintessential lazy/underachieving/take plays off clemson d-line of late....

    he was 290lbs his first two years in the programn but got down to 265lbs this season because he told people "this is my contract year"....what's going to happen after he signs that contract??

  16. #36
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,437
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    not with a top 10 pick and not while they are running that defense. they can draft 4 pass rushers next year but do it after round 1 is what im saying. it's a conversion pick where-ever it is made that player will be a project.
    We're not going to have a Top 10 pick unless we trade up 15+ spots in round 1. I see no harm in drafting a Jeremy Beal, Justin Houston, or Aldon Smith in the 25-32 range.

    We have to improve our ability to get after the QB. That's not even a question.

  17. #37
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I see no harm in drafting a Jeremy Beal, Justin Houston, or Aldon Smith in the 25-32 range.
    after everyone declares, those guys seem more like 2nd rounders to me.

  18. #38
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    after everyone declares, those guys seem more like 2nd rounders to me.
    Agreed...Smith might not, but I'm not sure teams will fall over themselves to draft anyone from Missouri in the first round.

    I don't get the Houston hype...solid talent with good physical gifts but he's kind of an idiot, he's probably not much of an OLB prospect right now, and the last first round caliber DL from Georgia were the 2001 DTs.

    Beal and Smith otoh I'll take...gladly...especially with the 2nd or 4th. Quinn is really the only slam dunk first round DE/OLB prospect, and I bet some 4-3 ahole takes him.

  19. #39
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    We're not going to have a Top 10 pick unless we trade up 15+ spots in round 1. I see no harm in drafting a Jeremy Beal, Justin Houston, or Aldon Smith in the 25-32 range.

    We have to improve our ability to get after the QB. That's not even a question.
    the only guy i consider from those three is Aldon Smith but he's likely to be long gone- really a special prospect that struggled with a leg injury this year...

    i watch justin houston play and i think vernon gholston....

  20. #40
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there an athletic freak out there who might come out of nowhere after the senior bowl/combine and find himself in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us