Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Passrushing OLB's who should be in our range

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Is there an athletic freak out there who might come out of nowhere after the senior bowl/combine and find himself in the 2nd or 3rd round?
    dontay moch/nevada though he's really not coming out of nowhere and don't think he's a good pick up for the jets.....i see more two-gap DE's than 3-4 pass rushing OLB's in this draft...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    dontay moch/nevada though he's really not coming out of nowhere and don't think he's a good pick up for the jets.....i see more two-gap DE's than 3-4 pass rushing OLB's in this draft...
    thanks.

and when are you guys updating the defensive positional rankings on your website? hustle up man, people are counting on that haha

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    it depends on how much we believe in players like Beal... might be 2nd rounder anyway

i have more faith in the 3-4 De bumper crop of Watt, Heyward, Clayborn etc than the OLBs.
    Who's falling to the mid-20s from the DEs? I'm guessing Watt and Clayborn are long gone and the Jets may be looking at Heyward or Jordan.

I haven't seen all that many OSU games this year, but I remember thinking in the PSU - OSU game last year that Heywood was a much stronger player than Odrick.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Who's falling to the mid-20s from the DEs? I'm guessing Watt and Clayborn are long gone and the Jets may be looking at Heyward or Jordan.
    I hope it turns out that way, but many have Cam Jordan going top 10. Some (russ lande) don't even have Heyward in the top 50. Marcel Dareus' value is all over the map and my guess is when he takes his shirt off he will show some of that trademark Alabama gross-out and who knows maybe he's there when the jets pick?

It's tough to grade these players out until workouts but it seems that there will be some very solid 3-4 DE prospects when the Jets pick. which prospect it will be, stay tuned. Right now all we know for sure is Nick Fairley and DaQuan Bowers are likely long gone.

You know who's Cameron Heyward level underrated here?

Jared Crick. Another guy with real 3-4 DE size and skills (Crick is probably 300-305 now) being passed over for guys who weigh 280-285 like Watt, Jordan, and Clayborn.

Crick is what Watt might be if he stayed and threw some weight on his frame. Another guy I see who consistently holds up in the run game, plays with sound technique and leverage, and gets the subtle (and not so subtle) kind of pass rush a real 3-4 DE has and does create. A top senior player who is also a leader on his teams and probably a captain (no fact check, sue me).

The team is going to look to get bigger on the DL.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-03-2011 at 09:44 PM.

All Pro
    If you came away from this draft with 2 players only trading all your other picks to make sure of this,which 2 would you want.

For me i take Quinn and McDaniel

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    If you came away from this draft with 2 players only trading all your other picks to make sure of this,which 2 would you want.

For me i take Quinn and McDaniel
    Quinn and Heyward...I'd deal with having to go with Leonhard/Lowery/Pool at S next year if we got two front 7 guys of that caliber.

Since you went Quinn I'll go with Ayers/Heyward...I see Karlos Dansby in Ayers...pretty awesome LB prospect...it'd be make it much easier to lose Harris.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-03-2011 at 09:49 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Quinn and Heyward...I'd deal with having to go with Leonhard/Lowery/Pool at S next year if we got two front 7 guys of that caliber.

Since you went Quinn I'll go with Ayers/Heyward...I see Karlos Dansby in Ayers...pretty awesome LB prospect...it'd be make it much easier to lose Harris.
    Like Heyward,but got no use for Ayers.He's soft,got no strength and gets pushed around alot.We need a SS who can run and hit and a Pass Rusher. I like Quinn and Kerrigan,Acho and Matthews.I also like McDaniels,Quinton Carter and Sands.

IMHO,Quinn if he's in shape and McDaniels puts this Defense in another zipcode.

I can dig the Ayers analysis. I'm not a fan of him as an OLB, but as an ILB in a 3-4 I like him quite a bit. I do see what you're saying with the strength and the such...

At S I'm not a huge McDaniel fan...I'm waiting to see who does what between him, Williams from NC, Johnson from Boise, Sands, Tate, Jarrett from Temple and a couple other guys...safety from App. State...Rahim Moore from UCLA...

Jets Insider VIP
    I can dig the Ayers analysis. I'm not a fan of him as an OLB, but as an ILB in a 3-4 I like him quite a bit. I do see what you're saying with the strength and the such...
    Agreed.

Ayers compares favorably to a guy like Lawrence Timmons IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Agreed.

Ayers compares favorably to a guy like Lawrence Timmons IMO.
    Never thought of Timmons but that comparison isn't terrible. He's bigger and longer than Timmons, but the explosive athleticism and position confusion is where the comparison hits best.

Ayers strikes me as the kind of guy who can improve his coverage skills and run with TEs...the fact that he gets tossed around everywhere by his college team speaks highly of his character and intelligence.

All Pro

At S I'm not a huge McDaniel fan...I'm waiting to see who does what between him, Williams from NC, Johnson from Boise, Sands, Tate, Jarrett from Temple and a couple other guys...safety from App. State...Rahim Moore from UCLA...
    Moore Sucks,plain and simple.He's Kerry Rhodes part Deux.We already have a FS on our roster in Lowrey who is a much better defender coming forward than moving back.He's not much help in run support,so that is why we need a conventional SS who can run and hit.Any of those 3 i mentioned will do.If we were to trade up for Quinn,and i would if he's healthy football-wise,and grab a Sands later on day 2 who probably won't run as well.

By the way,Sands reminds me of a big Bob Sanders.