Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: A part of the Jets past draft strategy that bugs me...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

A part of the Jets past draft strategy that bugs me...

Is how they treat late round picks, as in they don't value them at all. I like quite a few of Tannebaums moves over the years but he has a real disregard for late picks and casually tosses them into deals when perhaps not necessary. He also makes no real attempt to accumulate later round picks.

Now I've heard people say that later round picks (6th, 7th rounders) are not much more valueable than undrafted free agents player quality wise. The big difference is you 100% for sure get the best player on your list as opposed to fighting it out with 30 other teams to get UFA's.

Having some extra later rounders also allows you to take flyers on good athletes with no true position.

I don't mind the Jets trading picks to move up to take guys they really like I just hate when they just toss away picks or get poor value in trades (ie the Leon Washington deal, the Gocong trade.)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Jets haven't had much success with late rounders or UDFA, it's possible they are just recognizing a weakness in their scouting dept. other teams find starters in round 6, 7 and undrafted, the jets just don't seem to do that.

but on the flip side they have a much higher rate of success in round 1 and 2 than most other teams.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Is how they treat late round picks, as in they don't value them at all. I like quite a few of Tannebaums moves over the years but he has a real disregard for late picks and casually tosses them into deals when perhaps not necessary. He also makes no real attempt to accumulate later round picks.

Now I've heard people say that later round picks (6th, 7th rounders) are not much more valueable than undrafted free agents player quality wise. The big difference is you 100% for sure get the best player on your list as opposed to fighting it out with 30 other teams to get UFA's.

Having some extra later rounders also allows you to take flyers on good athletes with no true position.

I don't mind the Jets trading picks to move up to take guys they really like I just hate when they just toss away picks or get poor value in trades (ie the Leon Washington deal, the Gocong trade.)
    three names....ahtyba rubin, cam thomas and kurt coleman.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Word I've felt like they suck outside the first two rounds if for no other reason than there's always someone I like more.

Greg Hardy got past us FIVE times last year! Five!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    three names....ahtyba rubin, cam thomas and kurt coleman.....
    And my boy Steve Johnson.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

They have been signing other teams high draft pick cast offs....Turner, Gilbert, Crable, Cody Brown...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    They have been signing other teams high draft pick cast offs....Turner, Gilbert, Crable, Cody Brown...
    Well not all draft picks are good enough to stick so us signing others is not that much of a factor.

Minny had something like three 6-7th rounders starting last night and playing well. Also just looking at the 6th, 7th round and udfa from last year, there are some pretty dang good players in that list.

As I said I don't mind us trading up to get players I just hate us doing dumb stuff like trading leon washington and a 7th rounder for a 5th rounder. Or trading down in the 3rd round and getting only a 7th rounder for doing so.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two that come to mind Hunter an Davito are not bad signings, so all is not lost.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Word I've felt like they suck outside the first two rounds if for no other reason than there's always someone I like more.

Greg Hardy got past us FIVE times last year! Five!
    can't blame them for passing up Hardy- he was awful as a senior, was getting trashed by the 'ole miss coaching staff who said he was always late for practice and never showed up for meetings and the rumour was he was bi-polar....a lot of baggage....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    What positions do they play, I have not seen them on the field.