Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 17 Mock Draft and offseason

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Week 17 Mock Draft and offseason

FA Re-signings

WR Santonio Holmes
    ILB David Harris
    CB Antonio Cromartie
    OT Wayne Hunter

*Braylon and Brad Smith hit the market*

FA Signings

DE Barry Cofield
    CB Fabian Washington
    NT Atyba Rubin

Cuts

OLB Calvin Pace
    NT Kris Jenkins
    OT Damien Woody

Mock Draft

1st round: OLB Aldon Smith - Missouri

3rd round: FS Robert Sands - West Virginia

4th round: QB/RB Tyrod Taylor - Virginia Tech

5th round: TE Lee Smith - Marshall

6th round: WR Jeff Maehl - Oregon

7th round: NT Anthony Gray - Southern Miss

Projected 2011 Starting Lineup

QB Mark Sanchez

RB Shonn Greene

FB John Conner

WR Santonio Holmes
    WR Jerricho Cotchery

TE Dustin Keller

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    LG Matt Slauson
    C Nick Mangold
    RG Brandon Moore
    RT Wayne Hunter

DE Barry Cofield
    NT Atyba Rubin/Sione Pouha
    DE Shaun Ellis

OLB Aldon Smith
    ILB David Harris
    ILB Bart Scott
    OLB Bryan Thomas

CB Darrelle Revis
    CB Antonio Cromartie

FS Robert Sands

SS Jim Leonhard

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not cut BT over Pace? No cap hit there and he is an older and worse player. In getting Coefeild I'd be tempted to cut Ellis as well.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    great draft but i agree with the cuttin of bryan thomas

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where does all the money come from, do you expect the nfl to operate without a cap next year?

Calvin Pace cap hit will be about 7 mill

your looking at giving out 70 mill in SB this is just after they just gave that much over the summer

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Pretty sure Shaun Ellis is a FA as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    Why not cut BT over Pace? No cap hit there and he is an older and worse player. In getting Coefeild I'd be tempted to cut Ellis as well.
    +1

I'd much rather keep Pace and put someone across from him. Aldon Smith would be an awesome choice.

I like the DL overhaul in FA. Draft is good but would rather not draft Gray but a 3-4 DE type maybe.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VERMONT JET View Post
    Pretty sure Shaun Ellis is a FA as well.
    I think Pool is also a FA. For your mock offseason would you be looking to re-sign him for depth in case Sands isn't ready or just keep Lowry there for that purpose?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the Aldon Smith and Robert Sands picks, but not the others. We need to go pretty much all defense early. Grab a NT and DE with our 4th and 5th picks then go blocking TE/slot receiver/etc. later.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Where does all the money come from, do you expect the nfl to operate without a cap next year?

Calvin Pace cap hit will be about 7 mill

your looking at giving out 70 mill in SB this is just after they just gave that much over the summer
    Where the **** do you get these numbers???

The hit on the cap would be 2 mill

http://nyjetscap.com/salary11.html

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    9 mil in dead money if we cut Pace, not happening

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Where the **** do you get these numbers???

The hit on the cap would be 2 mill

http://nyjetscap.com/salary11.html

You have the right site but the wrong info.....look at the column that reads dead money....second from the right.

And we do not keep Holmes over Braylon, because we can get draft picks if someone signs Holmes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    You have the right site but the wrong info.....look at the column that reads dead money....second from the right.

And we do not keep Holmes over Braylon, because we can get draft picks if someone signs Holmes.
    But his cap number would be also taken away for a net of negative -2. I am pretty sure that's how it works. Given that the site even says cap savings (or loss) if cut I am pretty sure that I am reading correct column. I definitely could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    aldon smith has said he is leaning toward returning to school. even if he does declare i think it's wishful thinking to draft any college player and start him as a 3-4 OLB in year 1. it's just too hard of a conversion. Pace and Thomas aren't amazing but they don't suck either... and it took those guys like 4 years to convert to the position after being first round picks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    But his cap number would be also taken away for a net of negative -2. I am pretty sure that's how it works. Given that the site even says cap savings (or loss) if cut I am pretty sure that I am reading correct column. I definitely could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.
    Basically, according to those numbers. Calvin Pace costs 7 million against the cap if he is on our roster next year, and 9 million against the cap if he is not. So we would actually lose cap space by cutting him (ie: No chance in hell).

Cutting Thomas, on the other hand, would save us 3.7 million in cap space (No cap hit if cut).

Not saying Thomas is gone, because he has some value, but between the two, Thomas would definately be first to go. Nevermind, Pace is a better player then Thomas, even if Pace has been slowed a little bit by his foot injury.

If anything, Taylor should be the goner, and we replace his role with the rookie. And if the rookie becomes a star quickly, then he can challange Thomas or Pace for the starting gig.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 01-02-2011 at 12:51 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like it overall. Lot of plausible things there.

I think though your taking Sands based on team needs over talent. For how good he is, we can get a safety of relative skill value in rnds 4/5. There'll still be a couple choice D-linemen on the board for us in rnd 3

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    If anything, Taylor should be the goner, and we replace his role with the rookie. And if the rookie becomes a star quickly, then he can challange Thomas or Pace for the starting gig.
    This is probably the best course of action, and I think it's probably what will actually happen.

As for the rest of the mock, I like most of the picks.

Tyrod is a guy I'm high on this year. I don't know why, I just think he has "it" and will be a guy who does anything to succeed, like Brad Smith.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 01-02-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The players to cut for decent cap savings next year:

Kris Jenkins - saves 4.6M, will be cut unless he restructures to an incentive laden contract. Just can't invest that much cap room in a player with his age/health issues.

Bart Scott - saves 2M if cut, might come down to a choice between Harris and Scott, rather than keeping both

Bryan Thomas - saves 3.7M; a no brainer if the cap room is used to sign a pass-rushing OLB

LT - 2.4 million in cap space is a lot to give up for a 32 year old running back who didn't go over 50 yards in his last ten games of the regular season, especially if McKnight can replace him as the 3rd down back

Leonhard - we need to upgrade the safety spot, and cutting him saves 2M. Unlikely, though, given that Poole is a FA and the coaching staff loves him.

Taylor - 2.3M for a passrusher with no pass-rush game left? He's gone.

Hartsock - 1.7M is a lot of cap space to give a TE who is really an extra OT

Brunell - 1.3M for a QB whose job was to mentor Sanchez, in year 2 of the mentoring, sounds like a bad deal.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post

Kris Jenkins - saves 4.6M, will be cut unless he restructures to an incentive laden contract. Just can't invest that much cap room in a player with his age/health issues.

Bart Scott - saves 2M if cut, might come down to a choice between Harris and Scott, rather than keeping both

Bryan Thomas - saves 3.7M; a no brainer if the cap room is used to sign a pass-rushing OLB

LT - 2.4 million in cap space is a lot to give up for a 32 year old running back who didn't go over 50 yards in his last ten games of the regular season, especially if McKnight can replace him as the 3rd down back

Leonhard - we need to upgrade the safety spot, and cutting him saves 2M. Unlikely, though, given that Poole is a FA and the coaching staff loves him.

Brunell - 1.3M for a QB whose job was to mentor Sanchez, in year 2 of the mentoring, sounds like a bad deal.
    I think you bring up an important issue , everything depends on what level the cap is (if there is one), but the Jets are going to have to make some painful cuts... I would hope that some of these salaries could be renegotiated down, let me Put pace and Ellis in that category. I count 18 million in your cuts, Cromartie, Edwards, Holmes and Harris need to be signed. It will be interesting

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    I think you bring up an important issue , everything depends on what level the cap is (if there is one), but the Jets are going to have to make some painful cuts... I would hope that some of these salaries could be renegotiated down, let me Put pace and Ellis in that category. I count 18 million in your cuts, Cromartie, Edwards, Holmes and Harris need to be signed. It will be interesting
    Ellis's contract is up after this year. It will be interesting to see what happens to him. Even if the Jets draft a DE in the first round, it would probably make sense to keep him for another year - at a reasonable level. I'm thinking that a reasonable level is $2m for a one year deal. He may be able to do slightly better than that on the open market, but not much better to warrant going to another team.

Also, with Harris, perhaps we give him a deal with a reasonable 2011 cap hit with a large, guaranteed option bonus for 2012, with an eye towards cutting ties with Bart S. after the 2011 season - or at least with the leverage to force him to renegotiate. According to Jason's site, Bart's base salaries in 2012 - 14 are $5.6m, $6.9m and $7.75m. He's been reasonably good, but he's being paid like a playmaker which he simply isn't.
    Last edited by crasherino; 01-04-2011 at 10:33 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post

WAIT A MINUTE!! I started a thread about three weeks ago about this, and a few people disagreed with me with the above information...must be your reputation Doggin...

I would LOVE to get rid of Bart Scott...too much money for what he does, keep Harris and then let Westerman have the ILB spot. Better motor, and can give results equal to his mouth!

The Jets would save almost $2 million if Pouha is cut, and $1.5 if Mike Devito is cut, with only $250,000 dead money between the to....just saying.

Ainge and O'Connell both save us over half a million each if they are cut.

I think they keep Jenkins and rework the contract, have him as a depth player. They are stuck with Ghoulston, so perhaps he can play the NT for a year.
    Also, something needs to be done with the contracts of Sanchez and Revis...the two of them almost cost us 30 MILLION....Perhaps they take the hit and try and work around them so as not to cause trouble later down the road, especially if the cap goes up to $150 million

The Jets may be able to splurge on one guy, but I think they would be better off getting good, solid role guys for the cheap.