Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Week 17 Mock Draft and offseason

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am I crazy to think that we can start Lowery opposite Leonhard next year?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Ellis's contract is up after this year. It will be interesting to see what happens to him. Even if the Jets draft a DE in the first round, it would probably make sense to keep him for another year - at a reasonable level. I'm thinking that a reasonable level is $2m for a one year deal. He may be able to do slightly better than that on the open market, but not much better to warrant going to another team.

Also, with Harris, perhaps we give him a deal with a reasonable 2011 cap hit with a large, guaranteed option bonus for 2012, with an eye towards cutting ties with Bart S. after the 2011 season - or at least with the leverage to force him to renegotiate. According to Jason's site, Bart's base salaries in 2012 - 14 are $5.6m, $6.9m and $7.75m. He's been reasonably good, but he's being paid like a playmaker which he simply isn't.
    Great post, nice insight, innovative idea in signing Harris. IMHO Scott ,Pace and Thomas (if he isn't cut) need to kick back at least 1 million in base salary in 2011 for precisely the reason you gave, no playmaking from the linebackers

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I wouldn't say crazy, but I don't its very prudent of us to rely on that as a solution. Band Aide, maybe.

My guess is addressing the D-line & OLB positions will likely take up our FA attention (as well as a our draft). Those positions are 3/4 of the reason we're 11-5 instead of 14-2 and got thumped by teams like NE ands CHI.

I'd expect us to draft a rangy FS to be groomed in the 3rd -4th rnd.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Ellis's contract is up after this year. It will be interesting to see what happens to him. Even if the Jets draft a DE in the first round, it would probably make sense to keep him for another year - at a reasonable level. I'm thinking that a reasonable level is $2m for a one year deal. He may be able to do slightly better than that on the open market, but not much better to warrant going to another team.

Also, with Harris, perhaps we give him a deal with a reasonable 2011 cap hit with a large, guaranteed option bonus for 2012, with an eye towards cutting ties with Bart S. after the 2011 season - or at least with the leverage to force him to renegotiate. According to Jason's site, Bart's base salaries in 2012 - 14 are $5.6m, $6.9m and $7.75m. He's been reasonably good, but he's being paid like a playmaker which he simply isn't.
    Nope, our cap situation is WORSE in 2012, with Sanchez, Revis and Ferguson all making over $11 million, Pace, Mangold, Woody, and Scott all making between $5-7 million, and Moore and Cotchery in the $4 million range. As of right now, we have 23 guys under contract for 2012, and almost $100 million committed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Nope, our cap situation is WORSE in 2012, with Sanchez, Revis and Ferguson all making over $11 million, Pace, Mangold, Woody, and Scott all making between $5-7 million, and Moore and Cotchery in the $4 million range. As of right now, we have 23 guys under contract for 2012, and almost $100 million committed.
    Pace, Woody and Scott (the precise trade off for having a 2012 option bonus for Harris) will not be on the team....at least not at those current values.

I would not be surprised if Sanchez is extended after next year as well. They may also come to a long term solution with Revis in the next year or two as well.

If we are working off the same numbers (i.e. Jason's site), $7.6m of that $94 is Jenkins. That clearly is not getting paid out. We've got a lot of stars to pay, but I'm not going to worry about the 2012 cap just yet. We have no idea what the 2011 cap will even look like.

And specifically talking about Harris, there is no way that he will command a deal at Bart Scott's level. That was an aberration and he does not compare favorably, stats wise, to guys like Willis, Ryans and Beason who have or will, receive extensions.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Not at all...I like Lowery alot as a player...at the very least he should take over Smith's role on D.

Lowery's got a history as a ball hawk...this is the draft forum so I expect a couple guys will remember that he was a big turnover guy in college too. I think he's due for a breakout. He's listed as a SS now, he's going into his 4th season...he's racked up decent stats in his first 3 full seasons with 7 INTs, 32 PD, 2 sacks, and 5 FF...iunno something tells me there's upside there.

I wouldn't mind getting someone bigger and rangier than Leonhard.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-04-2011 at 06:49 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Not at all...I like Lowery alot as a player...at the very least he should take over Smith's role on D.

Lowery's got a history as a ball hawk...this is the draft forum so I expect a couple guys will remember that he was a big turnover guy in college too. I think he's due for a breakout. He's listed as a SS now, he's going into his 4th season...he's racked up decent stats in his first 3 full seasons with 7 INTs, 32 PD, 2 sacks, and 5 FF...iunno something tells me there's upside there.

I wouldn't mind getting someone bigger and rangier than Leonhard.
    I also like Lowery a lot, you do get better coverage, but Dwight is not a big hitting safety, and he whiffs on a few tackles. Doesn't make a good combo with Leonhard, but he has the talent to find a role on this team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you guys are missing the boat on Bryan Thomas.If the Jets have to cut him to keep Calvin Pace due to a cap hit it will be a shame.Pace is a Pass rusher who can't get to the QB fast enough and who can't cover at all,not anybody.Thomas is a solid player who is solid in coverage,against the run and can give you an occasional sack.

Pass rushing is not his game,even thou he was drafted as a rush end.He's an excellent off the ball outside Linebacker.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    You have the right site but the wrong info.....look at the column that reads dead money....second from the right.

And we do not keep Holmes over Braylon, because we can get draft picks if someone signs Holmes.
    Why would we get draft picks for Holmes but not Braylon?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i can see the jets taking a safety in the first round

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drunk kid catholic View Post
    i can see the jets taking a safety in the first round
    I don't see an impact safety that has value in the late first. The front seven seems to be the priority DE , OLB and ILB if Harris is not signed.
    The Jets have a lot of questions at safety. Eric Smith, James Ihedigbo and Poole are all free agents. Leonhard is coming off a broken leg, and carrys a 2million cap number. Lowery has improved, gives you better coverage, needs to tackle better but could be part of the solution. Even Cole and Cook took some reps at Safety.
    IMO James Ihedigbo and Eric Smith are the odd men out, Pool and Leonhard to start Lowery and Cook as backups with the Jets drafting Shiloh Keo out of Idaho in the fifth round...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I'd expect us to draft a rangy FS to be groomed in the 3rd -4th rnd.
    My only issue with a 3rd-4th round S is we have enough "Average" options already between Leonhard/Lowery and I would expect us to try and keep a couple out of Eric Smith, James Ihedigbo, and Brodney Pool, the first 2 are valuable ST'ers, and probably won't get more then cheap backup money anyways. If you get a Safety, to me it needs to be someone with star potential, and I would expect those types to be gone by that point. Another "Average" type might not even make this roster over the guys already here.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 01-09-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    My only issue with a 3rd-4th round S is we have enough "Average" options already between Leonhard/Lowery/E. Smith/Ihedigbo, maybe Pool (Only didn't include him because he's a pending FA). If you get a Safety, to me it needs to be someone with star potential, and I would expect those types to be gone by that point. Another "Average" type might not even make this roster over the guys already here and under contract.
    Agreed...unfortunately there's no real must have safety right now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    My only issue with a 3rd-4th round S is we have enough "Average" options already between Leonhard/Lowery and I would expect us to try and keep a couple out of Eric Smith, James Ihedigbo, and Brodney Pool, the first 2 are valuable ST'ers, and probably won't get more then cheap backup money anyways. If you get a Safety, to me it needs to be someone with star potential, and I would expect those types to be gone by that point. Another "Average" type might not even make this roster over the guys already here.
    I disagree. While I admittedly don't know how deep this safety class is, talented players fall every year to the 3-4 round. In fact the 4th round for a while was our "lucky" round with finding guys like Cotchery, Rhodes, and Washington. Rhodes for all his faults, still provides a case in point. I would sign up for Kerry's '05-'07 production out of a 3-4 rounder easily. Just because a player is picked in the 3-4 round doesn't mean they can't be impactful, it just means they might need a year to develop or they have some off the field issues to deal with. Either way talent is there, it is just up to the organization to judge what they can live with.
    Last edited by intothegreen; 01-09-2011 at 02:50 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    I disagree. While I admittedly don't know how deep this safety class is, talented players fall every year to the 3-4 round. In fact the 4th round for a while was our "lucky" round with finding guys like Cotchery, Rhodes, and Washington. Rhodes for all his faults, still provides a case in point. I would sign up for Kerry's '05-'07 production out of a 3-4 rounder easily. Just because a player is picked in the 3-4 round doesn't mean they can't be impactful, it just means they might need a year to develop or they have some off the field issues to deal with. Either way talent is there, it is just up to the organization to judge what they can live with.
    Kerry Rhodes is the exception, not the norm. If there were guys like Rhodes available in the 4th round every year, then nobody would ever draft a Safety up high in the draft.

Hey, if when Rex evaluates a guy, he becomes convinced that he's found the next KR, that's one thing. But, unless we find that Safety with star potential. You're probably just better off keeping our own guys.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Updated draft

1st round: DE J.J. Watt - Wisconsin

3rd round: FS Marcus Gilchrist - Clemson

4th round: OLB Steven Friday - Virginia Tech

5th round: TE Lee Smith - Marshall

6th round: WR Jeff Maehl - Oregon

7th round: CB Kevin Rutland - Missouri

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    1st round: DE J.J. Watt - Wisconsin

3rd round: FS Marcus Gilchrist - Clemson

4th round: OLB Steven Friday - Virginia Tech

5th round: TE Lee Smith - Marshall

6th round: WR Jeff Maehl - Oregon

7th round: CB Kevin Rutland - Missouri
    IDK much about the last 4 picks, but I like the positions.