Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Draft and FA wishlist

All Pro

Draft and FA wishlist

Who would you like to see signed as a FA?

Who are your favorite players in the draft, obviously not the high-end 1st rounders who the Jets won't have a chance to pick?

For me, they can't bring back LT and need another RB in the mix. It's probably better to address this need through FA than the draft. Cadillac Williams wouldn't be a bad pickup and should come pretty cheap.

There are a bunch of other needs, at TE and everywhere on defense

Braylon, Cro, and Harris

Not Holmes unless he comes cheap.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    Braylon, Cro, and Harris

I meant who would you like to sign, as in players who are currently on different teams.

FA Front 7:

Athyba Rubin
    Manny Lawson
    Barry Cofield
    Mathias K.
    Gabe Watson
    Brandon Mebane?

FA Pass catchers/pass helpers:

Ben Patrick/Dante Rosario - I'm high on one of these two sleeper talents at TE, particularly Patrick who had alot of draft love. Patrick is the bigger of the two, and probably the better blocker.
    Early Doucet - Might be odd man out in ARZ. I think he can be a slot WR.
    Jacoby Jones - Very athletic kick returner with WR potential. Probably not.
    Zach Miller/Kevin Boss/Tony Scheffler/Anthony Fason - All are better than the first two TEs up there. Probably won't get away or won't come as cheap.

Running game/OL FAs:

Steve Jackson/D. Williams - Coiuld go balls out and get a workhorse RB for Sanchez's 3-5 years, but a longshot at best.

Draft...Day 2 guys I like:

Chris Owosu - Versatile Stanford player with an ability to play WR.
    Colby Whitlock - The mf'ing man.
    Adrian Robinson - Developmental DE/OLB guy.
    Alex Albright - UDFA type LB prospect from BC.
    Mohammed Wilkerson - Big time sleeper talent at 3-4 DE...Probably goes in the 2nd.
    Rahim Moore - Seems to have fallen, but I like his ballhawking ability.
    Sione Fua - Stanford NT prospect.
    Ian Williams - ND NT propsect.
    Kheeston Randall - Big Texas DL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Two guys I wouldn't mind looking at on the defensive side are Manny Lawson and Barry Cofield. Lawson would bring some much needed speed and coverage ability to the LB corps. I feel Cofield could make the transition to a 5-tech without much trouble.

Atyba Rubin would be an awesome pickup if the Browns were to let him walk. I would love a rotation of Rubin and Pouha at NT.

As far as the draft goes, it's much of the same. Front seven all the way. Be it a 3-4 DE like Heyward, Jordan, or Watt...or a passrushing OLB like Kerrigan, Beal, or Houston.

All Pro
    Much Ado, I agree with just about everything you said about the FAs.

Patrick would be a nice pickup. The offense is running 2 and 3 TE sets all the time. They absolutely must upgrade the position. I wonder how Cumberland is progressing.

I don't know a whole lot about the draft prospects you listed except for Robinson and Wilkerson who went to Temple -- I know them very well and would love to have them on the Jets.

As for the RB position, I think Greene is going to be the guy next year... whether I like it or not. They should bring in a vet to compete for the job. And I've mentioned Quizz in the other thread. I'd love to get him if he comes out... but other than him, I wouldn't really want to draft a RB too high.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 12-27-2010 at 01:13 PM.

There are 2 players that I would love to see us get....

Ryan Kerrigan is exactly the type of DE-Pass rusher that would fit our defense perfectly. We dont run a traditional Steelers-type 3-4 so he can definitely play DE in our base package.

Mark Herzlich. Guy is an injury risk, but that is also going to allow him to be a 2nd-3rd round pick instead of the 1st rounder he was after the 2008 season. He is instinctive and fast...and excellent in coverage which is key for us.

As for FA's Im ready to cut ties with BT. Cutting him has a - cap hit and he is just too slow at this point. I also think one of braylon, tone and cro doesnt stay. I think we do resign harris.

Rubin would be great, but I dont think thats gonna happen. Coefield is very underrated and could be a nice fit for us. Kiwi too could be a nice player for our defense, adding speed and pass rush ability, but he would have to check out ok on the injury front.

Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    Braylon, Cro, and Harris

So I just got a P$F$F membership (with the way they watch film, I have to say I trust there system), and I have come to the conclusion that we should not really be breaking bank for a bunch of these FAs. Bart Scott is the the third best ILB in the entire NFL and best run stopper by a wide margin. Harris has been decidedly mediocre (30th), and even last year he wasn't that great (21st). He is not elite and this years set of FA inside linebackers is really nice. Desmond Bishop and Derrick Johnson would be great guys to pickup and they don't get all that much media attention so they might even come for cheaper. Also it seems good ILBs can be found in the draft too.

Cro and Holmes have also been slightly above average. Both have some mitigating circumstances (Cro- no pressure on QB, Holmes- bad scheme), but still wouldn't break the bank for them. Edwards has actually been a below average this season, tho they penalized him a lot for run blocking mistakes. But anyway you cut it, none of these guys have been anything resembling elite or even really good. For reference I will give you their rankings within their positions:

Harris- 30
    Edwards- 95 (53 as far as pure receiving is concerned)
    Holmes- 29 (15)
    Cro- 56

So yea we may just want to see who is willing to be had for a decent price and move on with those who are not. After seeing who will be a FA and looking at the rankings here is my wishlist (options, not saying all these guys)

ILB: Desmond Bishop, Tulloch, Gocong
    WR: Floyd might be a good option, Bess from the Fins, Steve Smith (Giants) might be had for cheaper since he got hurt
    CB: Champ Bailey... lol, Josh Wilson
    S: Eric Weddle, Dawan Landry
    OLB: Woodley, Matt Roth (bigtime sleeper as a pass rusher who will be had for real cheap), Lawson
    DL: Stephen Bowen
    RB: Addai, Benson
    TE: Marcedes Lewis
    OL: Yanda (RT)

I bolded the guys who might not break the bank but are really good/underrated. Except for Weddle and Woodley who I really want on the team cause they are beasts.
    Last edited by TheMo; 12-27-2010 at 03:14 PM.

I would absolutely love Bess on this team.

And sorry bros, I'm taking Holmes over Braylon.

Holmes recent slump doesn't change the big picture IMO...

Surprised no one's talking about bringing in a competent 2nd TE- 2 TE sets really make a defense predictable- good for a 3rd year QB....

All Pro
    Free agents:
    Manny Lawson
    Bo Scaife
    DeAngelo Williams
    Ahtyba Rubin
    Cullen Jenkins
    Tamba Hali
    LaMarr Woodley
    Tanard Jackson
    Desmond Bishop
    Kellen Winslow

Draft:
    Cameron Jordan
    Quinton Carter
    DeAndre McDaniel
    Phil Taylor
    Sam Acho
    Markus White
    Jerrell Powe
    Kenrick Ellis
    Aldon Smith
    Rashard Carmichael

FA Front 7:

Athyba Rubin
    Manny Lawson
    Gabe Watson
    Paul Soliai
    Mathias K - Not a huge fan of him or Jenkins because of long injury history. They're both really good players otherwise.
    Cullen Jenkins

FA RB/WR/TE:

Williams/Jackson - If they wanted to go balls out on getting a RB.
    Braylon Edwards
    Santonio Holmes
    Early Doucet - I think he could make a good slot reciever.
    Ben Patrick
    Donte Rosario - Maybe one of them can Shiancoe.
    Malcolm Floyd - Maybe an option if they choose Holmes.
    Kevin Boss/Zach Miller - I doubt either gets let go, but if they do...they're both better than Patrick/Rosario.

FA Backup QB:

Jim Sorgi?
    Matt Moore?
    I'm clueless on this one.

Draft:

Lots of guys...Mohammed Wilkerson, Ryan Kerrigan (who could end up going in the late teens early 20's anyway), Adrian Robinson, Cliff Matthews, Ian Williams, Colby Whitlock, Sione Fua, Armon Binns, Cedric Thorton...not sure any of them but the first two even have a shot at the first...plus there's way more.

Soliai's turned in to quite a beast. IDK why the Dolfags would let him go though...

Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Soliai's turned in to quite a beast. IDK why the Dolfags would let him go though...
    The Langford - Soliai - Starks DL is arguably/probably the best one in the division.

It's more of a hope...like with Rubin and the Browns.

All Pro

Surprised no one's talking about bringing in a competent 2nd TE- 2 TE sets really make a defense predictable- good for a 3rd year QB....
    I've been talking about getting a quality 2nd TE for the whole season. It's horrible that a stiff like Hartsock gets so much playing time on a playoff team.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I've been talking about getting a quality 2nd TE for the whole season. It's horrible that a stiff like Hartsock gets so much playing time on a playoff team.
    That's why you're the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    The Langford - Soliai - Starks DL is arguably/probably the best one in the division.

It's more of a hope...like with Rubin and the Browns.
    They're the best bad team in the NFL.

IDK what happened with Henne, but he obviously still has a lot of talent. Either way, if they get a steady QB, they're not going to be fun to deal with.

Just make a list of the top 5 pass rushing 3-4 DE's and the top 5 pass rushing olbs for both NFL free agency and the draft for me. I'm positively sick at the lack of pass rushing play makers on this team. One or more top notch pass rushers instantly upgrades your whole secondary and as long as the Pats have Brady we won't make a meaningful run until we get some guys that can get after the QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

agree 100% on Holmes- will come cheaper and doesn't make as many bonehead plays on the field....

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    i dont agree -- devito-bo-ellis -- is still a better line. although gassed.

the fins have a much better, more complete set of linebackers -- that is with a healthy dansby -- that really helps that defense get off the field.

misi - crowder - dansby - wake is IMO the best set of lbs in the division, maybe in the conference this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    i dont agree -- devito-bo-ellis -- is still a better line. although gassed.

the fins have a much better, more complete set of linebackers -- that is with a healthy dansby -- that really helps that defense get off the field.

misi - crowder - dansby - wake is IMO the best set of lbs in the division, maybe in the conference this year.
    i don't watch the fish much but was incredibly impressed the way their back seven pursue to the ball when i was at the game a few weeks ago...