Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cameron Jordan vs Cameron Heyward

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Cameron Jordan vs Cameron Heyward

Two guys who fit the mold of a 5-tech DE and are slated to go in the 20-35 range.

I personally favor Jordan because I think he offers more in terms of a passrush. Heyward is probably the stouter of the two.

Either way, two guys to keep a close eye on leading up to the draft.

Thoughts?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I personally favor Jordan because I think he offers more in terms of a passrush.
    you aren't alone in this assessment... this is the commonly held wisdom... that Jordan is a better pass rusher... and maybe he is... but how many are aware that while JOrdan has 14 career sacks, Heyward has 13.

both 4 year starters who didn't redshirt.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Two guys who fit the mold of a 5-tech DE and are slated to go in the 20-35 range.

I personally favor Jordan because I think he offers more in terms of a passrush. Heyward is probably the stouter of the two.

Either way, two guys to keep a close eye on leading up to the draft.

Thoughts?
    heyward is a natural 3-4 end....jordan grew into the position; was great as a sophomore in Cal's 4-3, took a step back in '09 when they switched to the 3-4 (significantly outplayed by Alualu) took a major step foward in '10....

Jordan is a better pass rusher than heyward but he also has more downnside....heyward does not have eye-popping stats but if you watch him on film he does the little things very well; holds the point of attack, strings plays out laterally, collapses inside stuffing the run...

jordan is a good prospect but people may be getting ahead of themselves on him (proably a top 15 pick) while i they are not giving heyward the credit he deserves....

btw- christian ballard is sdtill my guy...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jordan.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of these two, I prefer Jordan.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think there's a more natural 3-4 DE in this draft than Heyward. He's being severely underrated now.

Jordan is a damn good player with a good motor and active hands. That said, he also plays in a college 3-4 not a real 3-4. I see him taking a ton of snaps with the 3 technique and I think he's got more upside at 4-3 DE than someone like Adrian Clayborn, a similar player with similar size and skills who received similar hype last year.

They're both excellent athletes and players in this draft. Both play hard, both train hard, and they're two of the more "safe" players in this draft if there's such a thing. The difference is that Heyward is better against the run, more capable of holding 2 gaps and freeing up the LBs, he's 30 pounds heavier, an inch or two taller, and not as incapable of disrupting the passing game as it's portrayed.

If I had to order the 3-4 DE guys in the order I'd draft them for this team based on how their ability to handle double teams and still get a push...I'm not putting the NT prospect Powe off but seeing how Wilfork and Raji got used maybe that's a bad idea...also no Dareus or Fairley because I do think they're gone in the first 18 picks:

Heyward
    Crick
    Ballard
    Guy
    Jordan
    Ellis
    Watt

Ellis from Hampton is going to open some eyes IMO...he's more talented than Langford, who went in the 2nd and is an awesome pro...best size of all these guys...really productive...94 tackles, 15 TFL, and 2 sacks...Hampton's produced some good DL lately too...we have one on the roster with Dixon.

Ellis stat link
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-03-2011 at 11:11 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Jordan.
    IMO a top twenty pick

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heyward is looking good, just blew up a triple team and recorded a TFL

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think we'll be drafting Heyward anymore. His stock is going to shoot through the roof.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heyward is lighting up right now but I'd sure love to see more than just a bull rush out of him... needs to use his hands more

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heyward looks great tonight. Seems to have all the intangibles that the ghost does not....drive, competitor, leadership, innovative, explosive and plays through injury.

I was skeptical coming in, but sold after the first half alone.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    Heyward looks great tonight. Seems to have all the intangibles that the ghost does not....drive, competitor, leadership, innovative, explosive and plays through injury.

I was skeptical coming in, but sold after the first half alone.
    It could just be the fact that his elbow is hurt but him and Ghost have one thing in common on most plays... they don't use their hands

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heyward is a beast. What a brutally horrendously awful stinky call on that safety in that game. A travesty call of monumentally epic proportions.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not Heyward!
    No more Ohio State!
    Remember Gholston!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswinbaby! View Post
    Not Heyward!
    No more Ohio State!
    Remember Gholston!
    How about Mangold?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    How about Mangold?
    Big 10 offensive linemen typically pan out better than defensive linemen fromt he Big 10

I have to say while he does have things Ghost does not (a sense of leadership, a fire under his ass, probably more football experiece) I still see someone who doesn't use his hands when he can and relies on a bullrush.... doesn't work like that 100% of the time in the NFL

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where does JJ Watt rank with these guys?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heyward was a f*cking manimal tonight against Arkansas.

The guy looks to have almost Seymour-esque potential as a 5-tech. If he's there at the bottom of round 1, then I say jump on him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully his 40 times and bench reps are not good at the combine so he falls to us.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i never understood why his stock fell so low (out of round 1?) ... heyward was always a top 15 guy in my book. Beast.