Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Luck = Big, Fat Tard

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i know it sounds crazy but money really isn't everything. It doesn't buy happiness and life as the punching bag of the NFC south is vastly different than life as the BMOC at Stanford. alex smith was a #1 overall pick do ya think he's happy? Jamarcus Russell do you think he's happy with the way his life turned out? just being a #1 overall draft pick doesn't guarantee your life gets better.
    Well Alex Smith just didn't have the talent (IMHO)and JaFatass didn't have any motivation. Not to mention the Raiders are their own level of dysfunction with Undead Al running the show (see- Firing Coaches Who Help Team Win: The Tom Cable Story). Carolina has some good pieces on offense, the complete lack of QB play has made them cellar dwellers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Well Alex Smith just didn't have the talent (IMHO)and JaFatass didn't have any motivation.
    but that's not the point. Did 50 million dollars make them happy? we can ask them but honestly I don't think it did... i wonder if they look back and realize they were happier before the draft than after it?

andrew luck made a smart life decision and i don't think he needs to defend himself and explain why he didn't make the cash-grab. Maybe the dude likes to learn? he did go to Stanford after all.

but that's not the point. Did 50 million dollars make them happy? we can ask them but honestly I don't think it did... i wonder if they look back and realize they were happier before the draft than after it?

andrew luck made a smart life decision and i don't think he needs to defend himself and explain why he didn't make the cash-grab. Maybe the dude likes to learn? he did go to Stanford after all.
    No one is saying he has to explain himself, but people are entitled to give their opinion/judgement on his decision. I think he is being a gigantic fool in passing up that opportunity. Does it make him a bad person? No not at all, but I think he is being an idiot, especially if it is cause Carolina isn't a good team. A reminder: this my OPINION.

No one is saying he has to explain himself, but people are entitled to give their opinion/judgement on his decision. I think he is being a gigantic fool in passing up that opportunity. Does it make him a bad person? No not at all, but I think he is being an idiot, especially if it is cause Carolina isn't a good team. A reminder: this my OPINION.
    that's fine, let me add 2 more opinions

1) (ANECDOTE) I went to college with some wealthy people. I mean like their father owned a sports team wealthy. these people were basically billionaires who could wipe their rear ends with Andrew Luck's bonus check. and these also were some of the most miserable people i've ever seen.

Money does not equal happiness. It can make you comfortable it cannot make you happy. In fact if you have everything sometimes you are numb to everything.

I remember looking through my couch cushions for change to buy mac and cheese and it's a fond memory. Now I have a job and can eat out every night but it never tastes as good as the change mac and cheese. at least not in my memory. So it's all relative, and I think Palo Alto for Andrew Luck is about as close as it gets to paradise. there will be time enough to get brutalized by the Ray Lewis's of the world... for money.

2) Oliver Luck (andrew's dad) is an insider and if he advised his son to stay it's possible because he's been talking to other insiders and it's pretty clear there's gonna be a lock out. So if there's no minicamp and no training camp... where does that leave Andrew? with a big check and no football. It's better to play football at Stanford for free than to not play football in the NFL for money. It's like when Major league teams would rather have their prospects pitching every 5 days in triple A ball than sitting the bench in the majors. Andrew Luck is a football player he's guaranteed to play next year in Palo alto, in Charlotte nothing is guaranteed.

all this doesn't add up to "Andrew Luck is a big fat tard/idiot" like in the thread title. I think he's actually smarter... cause even with a huge bank account and everything you don't get a 2nd chance to be a senior at Stanford... and live that life. It's a long view and i think a very smart one.
    Last edited by bitonti; 01-07-2011 at 11:42 AM.

All League
    that's fine, let me add 2 more opinions

1) (ANECDOTE) I went to college with some wealthy people. I mean like their father owned a sports team wealthy. these people were basically billionaires who could wipe their rear ends with Andrew Luck's bonus check. and these also were some of the most miserable people i've ever seen.

Money does not equal happiness. It can make you comfortable it cannot make you happy. In fact if you have everything sometimes you are numb to everything.

I remember looking through my couch cushions for change to buy mac and cheese and it's a fond memory. Now I have a job and can eat out every night but it never tastes as good as the change mac and cheese. at least not in my memory. So it's all relative, and I think Palo Alto for Andrew Luck is about as close as it gets to paradise. there will be time enough to get brutalized by the Ray Lewis's of the world... for money.

2) Oliver Luck (andrew's dad) is an insider and if he advised his son to stay it's possible because he's been talking to other insiders and it's pretty clear there's gonna be a lock out. So if there's no minicamp and no training camp... where does that leave Andrew? with a big check and no football. It's better to play football at Stanford for free than to not play football in the NFL for money. It's like when Major league teams would rather have their prospects pitching every 5 days in triple A ball than sitting the bench in the majors. Andrew Luck is a football player he's guaranteed to play next year in Palo alto, in Charlotte nothing is guaranteed.
    I agree with everything you said, but I feel the need to add that those calling this young man a fool and that he is stupid are way off base. He is indeed a bright individual and going to Stanford is no easy task. He was a top flight HS student and continues to be in college. America truly has shown how much we have continued to dumb down when we equate success with professional sports.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I'm really not sure how sticking around to get a degree from Stanford is a bad move. Bradford stuck around, and the new CBA isn't going to destroy high contracts for rookies....not in a league with no minor league systems and an average length of 3 years.
    +1

The Degree is the most important thing here. Football is secondary. He'll still have an excellent NFL career and make all the money there is to be made if it's meant to be.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    I agree with everything you said, but I feel the need to add that those calling this young man a fool and that he is stupid are way off base. He is indeed a bright individual and going to Stanford is no easy task. He was a top flight HS student and continues to be in college. America truly has shown how much we have continued to dumb down when we equate success with professional sports.
    ...and a +1 to that as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Well Alex Smith just didn't have the talent (IMHO)and JaFatass didn't have any motivation. Not to mention the Raiders are their own level of dysfunction with Undead Al running the show (see- Firing Coaches Who Help Team Win: The Tom Cable Story). Carolina has some good pieces on offense, the complete lack of QB play has made them cellar dwellers.
    its a fools argument to claim that somehow Smith/Russell are not happy because they turned out to be complete busts and compare it to the Luck situation...what about the David Carr's, Akili Smith's, etc of the world- are they miserable too as senior QB's who got big contracts but never panned out in the NFL?

i'll give anyone 100-to-1 odds that jamarcus russell is much happier now with the money he's had and spent than not having the money...or that somehow he would've been a better pro-QB had he returned to LSU for another season...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I remember, fondly, looking through my apartment in law school - with the help of my roomate (who was otherwise not very funny), for enough change to buy cigarettes, as we both did not have the $2.50, or whatever it costs back then, for me to buy a pack. After we went through the couch and found about $1.25, he commented "See.... those idiots on TV living in an all expense paid house by MTV is not the Real World. Going through your couch for change for cigarettes is the REAL FRIGGIN' WORLD. "

And back to the topic.....JMO, but the impending lockout is probably the kicker that made the decision for Luck. I'm sure he would like to go back for one more year, but if he was guaranteed the huge pay day as opposed to the great unknown, my guess is that he would make the jump. With the uncertainty looming, its enough reason to stay.

You can still learn when you're 50. You can't throw a football 70 yards when you're 50.

Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    You can still learn when you're 50. You can't throw a football 70 yards when you're 50.
    if Andrew Luck prioritized football over learning he wouldn't have gone to Stanford in the first place.

Jets Insider VIP
    if Andrew Luck prioritized football over learning he wouldn't have gone to Stanford in the first place.
    Do you know Luck personally and have you spoken to him about football vs. education? If not, STFU.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Do you know Luck personally and have you spoken to him about football vs. education? If not, STFU.
    That's kind of a harsh reaction.

If Luck only cared about football, and not an education he probably would not have gone to Stanford, but more of a football factory.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    That's kind of a harsh reaction.

If Luck only cared about football, and not an education he probably would not have gone to Stanford, but more of a football factory.
    And learning from a former NFL QB coaching a pro system had nothing to do with that? Please.

bit's liberal "money can't buy you everything" nonsense belongs in the Political Forum, not here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    bit's liberal "money can't buy you everything" nonsense belongs in the Political Forum, not here.
    yeah cause only certain people who vote a certain way love money.

Jets Insider VIP
    Draft forum.

what do you think we are talking about here? the #1 pick in the draft

Jets Insider VIP
    what do you think we are talking about here? the #1 pick in the draft

It's not an issue of priorities. It's an issue of time.

You have 20 more years MAYBE to be an NFL QB. You can be an architect for a lot longer.

I am a liberal and I disagree with you completely on this... money may not be the only way to happiness, but to throw away its importance is just as foolish as saying it is the only thing that is important. Luck can always come back and finish his education. He cannot come back to the money he would be coming into should he declare.