Thread: Prospect Smackdown: Jaiquawn Jarrett vs. Rahim Moore

Prospect Smackdown: Jaiquawn Jarrett vs. Rahim Moore

Both play FS, Jarrett for Temple and Moore for UCLA.

Background:

Moore was the #2 safety recruit in the country according to Scout.com in 2008. Jarrett seems to be unranked then. Jarrett ended up playing in every game at Temple under Golden, and is considered one of the best players from the Golden...era I guess it's called. Moore has only missed two games in his 3 years. He has suffered one concussion that I read about. Both are considered team leaders with Jarrett being the more ferocious one.

Edge: Moore, though I can't stress enough how much I like that Jarrett was an asset for 4 years. Moore is still on the path too since the only thing holding him back is that next year is his 4th.

Stats:

Moore threw up a 10 INT, 7 PD, 48 tackles, 4 TFL, and 1 sack season as a sophomore. He regressed to 1 INT, 77 TKL, 1 INT, and 4 PD in 2010, his junior season.

Jarrett never really had a huge season at Temple, but the big one is that he played in every game. Anyway, he racked up 9 INT, 1 FR, 6.5 TFL, and 209 TKL in his 4 years, and even caught a pass.

Edge: Moore.

Physical stuff:

Moore is 6'1 195 while Jarrett is listed as 6'2 205 or so. Both are considered rangy safeties, and both are solid tacklers though Jarrett is better there. On a good day Moore will remind you of Ed Reed with his ability to be a weapon after an INT and also his ability to jump a route. Jarrett is a Brodney Pool type athlete/player, but minus the reported injuries. Moore is probably the faster of the two, but he's also the one who's been injured. I'd say his body is more frail, but I'm some ******* on a couch typing this so tf do I know.

Edge: Jarrett is bigger and injury free. Moore has the potential to be the kind of safety that this D wants.

Projection:

Moore could fit that role of Cover 1 safety some may want, but he could also not. Both have the range to play FS, but I believe that Jarrett is the more physical player and could make a stronger impact in packages where the safety plays close to the line. I do not believe he has Cover 1 potential, but I'm also not sure how much I care, if at all.

Edge: Toss up. They're both my favorite safety prospects in this draft. I might luck out by Moore not declaring because I don't think he has. Both could go as high as the second, and both have starting potential in the NFL.

Player comparison:

Jarrett - A Sean Jones/Brodney Pool type without the injury problems (yet?).

Moore - A better Nate Allen type.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-06-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Moore, but Jarrett needs more mainstream love. They'll both be good, just Moore seems to have more upside to me.

Can the next Prospect Smackdown be GGI vs. Will Hill?

In all seriousness, good work. I like these a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Moore, but Jarrett needs more mainstream love. They'll both be good, just Moore seems to have more upside to me.

Can the next Prospect Smackdown be GGI vs. Will Hill?

In all seriousness, good work. I like these a lot.
    Yea, Moore at his best sounds at his best sounds like the type of safety that could cure what ails this D's secondary.

What're your thoughts on Lowery and his upside?

Thanks for the compliments...stole the idea from baseball sites who do this. Next one is probably Wilkerson vs. Guy.

I'm curious to know whether anyone here weighs the different conferences differently and how so? I threw out that I figured the Big 10 had offenses that relied more on the run than the Big 12 so I gave major props to Crick for his play against the pass in the last one...I'm looking for feedback on whether this is a sound thought process.

+1 dude where have have you been the past couple years, your input would have been really appreciated. I like these break downs. Moore has a lot of potential, but I am really disappointed in him this year. Idk whether he is coasting or teams are trying to avoid him, but he just doesn't seem to be having anywhere near the impact of last season. I don't know enough about Jarret to say anything, but from your description he looks like he'll be a solid if unspectacular player.

^^ I got banned for calling Buchholz a better prospect than Joba and then for calling a spade a spade.

i dont know that these are comparable prospects. Moore is a solid 2nd rounder, jarrett is more like a round 5 or 6 type.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i dont know that these are comparable prospects. Moore is a solid 2nd rounder, jarrett is more like a round 5 or 6 type.
    I think Jarrett goes in the 3rd/4th range at the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I think Jarrett goes in the 3rd/4th range at the worst.
    we will see how he runs but every year there are safeties just like Jarrett who don't even get drafted. Safeties and guards end up dropping like stones every year.. unless it's Eric Berry type of prospect.

we will see how he runs but every year there are safeties just like Jarrett who don't even get drafted. Safeties and guards end up dropping like stones every year.. unless it's Eric Berry type of prospect.
    Sure, but we've also recently seen safeties like him go in the 2-3 range (Delmas, Ward, Chung, etc), which is where I think he ends up going...though I do believe the 4th is a real possibility.

Agreed that we'll find out more when he's weighed and measured and interviewed.

if we dont see Jarrett at the senior Bowl it's not a good sign for his draft status.

Nate Allen and Louis Delmas were senior bowlers.

if we dont see Jarrett at the senior Bowl it's not a good sign for his draft status.

Nate Allen and Louis Delmas were senior bowlers.
    Word...also agreed. I don't think he's an Emmanuel Cook type or something...someone who'll go UDFA or maybe slightly higher.

just to update this thread, Jarrett will be at the Senior Bowl.

Nice...though the 3-4 thing I said is probably wrong...probably more 4-6 unless his Senior Bowl is mind blowing.

Nice...though the 3-4 thing I said is probably wrong...probably more 4-6 unless his Senior Bowl is mind blowing.

Bit, props for calling me out on these guys not really being comparable prospects...better would have been Moore vs. Deunta Williams or maybe just done one on the two Clemson guys...ah well there's two months of more info to get.