Thread: Officially time to trade back....

Officially time to trade back....

Below is a list of 24 Dlineman or OLBs that can add speed, youth and pass rush ability to our team next year. That is a TON of guys with 1st and 2nd round grades.

There are now 4 CBs that will most likely also go in the top 35 picks. That is a lot of talented defensive players that will be available later then in past drafts.

Given our needs on the front 7, this is getting to be simply a numbers game where the odds are that there will be an opportunity to draft 2 players that can help the front 7 in the top 2-3 rounds. We are going to lose either a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Cro (depending on what happens tomorrow night), and need to take this opportunity to move back out of the first round and re-acquire another pick in order to hopefully get 2 of the below players.

DT that can play 3-4 DE
    Da'Quan Bowers 6'4" 280
    Robert Quinn 6'4⅝" 254
    Adrian Clayborn 6'3" 285
    Ryan Kerrigan 6'4" 259
    Cameron Jordan 6'4" 280
    Cameron Heyward 6'5" 278
    Allen Bailey 6'3" 287
    J.J. WattDE 6'5" 279

DEs big enough to play 3-4 End
    Nick Fairley 6'4" 299
    Marcell Dareus 6'2⅝" 303
    Stephen Paea 6'1" 304
    Drake Nevis 6'0" 289
    Corey Liuget 6'3" 300
    Marvin Austin 6'2" 303
    Jurrell Casey 6'0" 300
    Terrell McClain 6'1" 298
    Jared Crick 6'5" 288

OLBs
    Justin Houston 6'3" 254
    Von Miller 6'3" 239
    Akeem Ayers 6'3" 248
    Bruce Carter 6'3" 225
    Jeremy Beal 6'3" 263
    Travis Lewis 6'2" 232
    Kelvin Sheppard 6'2" 244
    Mark Herzlich 6'4" 247

I said that last year was 'the year to trade back'. I've given up hope on that however as the Jets have rarely done that under Tanny (as compared to trying to trade up). I guess it will all depend on who is around near the end of the 1st round for the Jets. I'd love to see them find a way to bag a few more picks though. The last few Jets drafts have sucked from a draft fan pointy of view strictly in regards to our # of picks and waiting, waiting to see who we are going to take in the mid rounds only to find out we have traded those picks.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    DT that can play 3-4 DE
    Robert Quinn 6'4⅝" 254
    Ryan Kerrigan 6'4" 259

DEs big enough to play 3-4 End
    Stephen Paea 6'1" 304
    Drake Nevis 6'0" 289
    Corey Liuget 6'3" 300
    Marvin Austin 6'2" 303
    Jurrell Casey 6'0" 300
    Terrell McClain 6'1" 298
    others will disagree but i dont think those guys fit in those positions. Rex could use Robert Quinn as an OLB but the rest of that list are all 4-3 guys.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    others will disagree but i dont think those guys fit in those positions. Rex could use Robert Quinn as an OLB but the rest of that list are all 4-3 guys.
    I dont disagree with you except for kerrigan....he has the exact measurables that suggs did on Baltimore and since our 3-4 is very far from the traditional steelers/dom capers type 3-4 I think he can definitely fit on our team. Hes theh guy Id love to see, along with Watt and Herzlich....

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Nope I'd agree with you, and yea Quinn would never ever be a DE in a 3-4, would be such a waste of talent. Kerrigan I agree that he's not a natural fit, though he could be molded into the role. We are in agreement glorious moment, no?

I actually like Kerrigan as a 3-4 OLB...reminds me of Pace, though I wouldn't draft him into the system.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

you really have to wait and see who is on the board when the Jets finally select before trading back....its' always great to say "trade back" and i'm one of the first to make the claim but with so many talented d-linemen one may slip into the jets lap....

i'd go with heyward, watt, ballard before trading back...may even be able to trade back and get ballard...

if i trade back i'm liklely targeting wilkerson....trading way back looking at jarvis jenkins of clemson...

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    you really have to wait and see who is on the board when the Jets finally select before trading back....its' always great to say "trade back" and i'm one of the first to make the claim but with so many talented d-linemen one may slip into the jets lap....

i'd go with heyward, watt, ballard before trading back...may even be able to trade back and get ballard...

if i trade back i'm liklely targeting wilkerson....trading way back looking at jarvis jenkins of clemson...

All League
    those lists are all types of inaccurate

plus, you can't figure who the jets may take until you see who they are able to get in free agency. clearly the focus this offseason will be improving the defense, and with rex's recruiting abilities it will be interesting to see how many guys the jets can bring in by the time the draft rolls along.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    plus, you can't figure who the jets may take until you see who they are able to get in free agency. clearly the focus this offseason will be improving the defense, and with rex's recruiting abilities it will be interesting to see how many guys the jets can bring in by the time the draft rolls along.
    +1. I can't see a DL draft choice starting for us Year 1, and everyone will be printing off extra BUST labels straight away. Lots of people are already downn on Ducasse as being a "project" pick, and therefore a waste of a 2nd rounder; imagine if we do that next year with our first?

Heyward will fall I think, in which case there is no way I trade out of the spot. Funny considering I was anti-Heyward for the longest time lol. I think he will fall cause his name has been around a while (no freshness factor) and he is just not the flashy type of player that will garner a lot of draft time hype. Wishful thinking? Mayhaps

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    why would that matter??? even if the Jets sign a big name defensive line in FA would you pass a good one up in round one if they are staring you in the face (considering the age and unknowns presently on the roster at the positon)?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    why would that matter??? even if the Jets sign a big name defensive line in FA would you pass a good one up in round one if they are staring you in the face (considering the age and unknowns presently on the roster at the positon)?
    I know I wouldnt. Of course every situation is different but this year it looks like a foregone conclusion that one arguable first round talent sits there when we pick. The defensive line talent in this draft is just ridiculous...