Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How high can Powe go?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

How high can Powe go?

Jerrell Powe might be the best pure NT prospect in this draft, but not much has been heard or said about him on the forumz throughout the season. He only made 2nd all SEC (4th according to THE Phil Steele)...Still, he's part of a top SEC and nation D who piles up TFL and sacks.

What to make of him? Very underrated? Is the 2-3 range more likely than the first? Is he a steal in that range, or is he possibly overrated by fans?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say he goes in the 35-50 range.

He's definitely talented and practically immovable at the point of attack. There's a premium on guys like Powe with so many teams now running the 3-4. His stock has kinda dropped because of Ole Miss playing him as a 4-3 UT this year, which is just stupid, he's a pure NT.

Kinda sucks that we're gonna have to give San Diego our 2nd rounder. Powe would be one of my top targets in Round 2.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    phil taylor

baylor

rd 3

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    32 is kind of like a 2nd round pick.

Phil Taylor would not be a bad idea. 6'4 340 is kind of hard to pass on.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-08-2011 at 12:36 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure what the conditions were on the Cro pick. I think it was based on some team incentives (win division, etc.). Either way I think Powe is the middle-high 2nd round. I am a big fan of Phil Taylor tho.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I'm not sure what the conditions were on the Cro pick. I think it was based on some team incentives (win division, etc.). Either way I think Powe is the middle-high 2nd round. I am a big fan of Phil Taylor tho.
    its been reported if the Jets win today the pick becomes a 2nd rounder....

If Jets win tonight, Chargers get NY's 2011 second-round pick for Antonio Cromartie. If Jets lose, Chargers get NY's 2011 third-round pick.

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-08-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Powe is dropping- tons of off the field sh!t from my understanding and really played like a dog in '10- which pains me to say as i expected his stock to rise entering the season...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    with Pouha signed long term, nose tackle is one of the team's strengths, not a need worthy of a 2nd round pick or higher.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    with Pouha signed long term, nose tackle is one of the team's strengths, not a need worthy of a 2nd round pick or higher.
    Except for the fact that Pouha provides no pocket collapse ability and Jenkins, the one who does, cannot stay healthy and might be a cap casualty.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    Except for the fact that Pouha provides no pocket collapse ability and Jenkins, the one who does, cannot stay healthy and might be a cap casualty.
    and was almost 27 years old when he was drafted four years ago...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    Exactly! And that is hindering Rex's blitz packages...There's very little push up the middle to free blitzing lanes...IMO

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Exactly! And that is hindering Rex's blitz packages...There's very little push up the middle to free blitzing lanes...IMO
    Phil taylorrrr pls lol

Cameron Heyward + Phil Taylor and everything else would be gravy for me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    draftin powe a nose tackle doesn't improve the pass rush. he's probably not even on the field on 3rd down. also Mike Devito played his butt off last night. DT is not a need position.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    draftin powe a nose tackle doesn't improve the pass rush. he's probably not even on the field on 3rd down. also Mike Devito played his butt off last night. DT is not a need position.
    Pool and Eric Smith played their butts off last night...at least in the first half...S is not a need position.

Holmes and Keller again had meh games...WR and TE are need positions?

We're going to be drafting a DL type this draft, though I do kind of agree with you that a pure NT type probably isn't it. That said, a guy who can play on a 3 man DL is a man who can play on a 3 man DL...Wilfork, Raji, and Ngata are all NT types who took alot of snaps at DE this year or all the time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Pool and Eric Smith played their butts off last night...at least in the first half...S is not a need position.

Holmes and Keller again had meh games...WR and TE are need positions?

We're going to be drafting a DL type this draft, though I do kind of agree with you that a pure NT type probably isn't it. That said, a guy who can play on a 3 man DL is a man who can play on a 3 man DL...Wilfork, Raji, and Ngata are all NT types who took alot of snaps at DE this year or all the time.
    We need youth up front since you just dont go into the season counting on the Westermans and Cody Browns to suddenly turn into stars. Pouha, BT, Ellis, Pryce and Taylor are all 30+, the last three are looking to be on their last legs actually. DeVito and Pouha are great at stopping the run but we need someone who can push the pocket. Pitoitua and Jenkins might be there next year but again, you dont plan like that.

WR and TE are need positions but with Keller, Edwards and maybe Holmes in the mix, there is so much young talent that you dont spend a high draft pick here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Devito is a rotational guy. He's not a starter and there will be another guy ahead of him whether it is Jenkins or someone else.

I love Powe. He didn't play as well this year but he's still showing an amazing level of strength that will definitely work in the NFL. I can't speak to off the field stuff because it's impossible to know that.

And Powe has enough strength where he can be more than a 2 down player ala Wilfork.

I really think Powe's value has taken it on the chin too because the whole team played so poorly this year.

I think at best he goes around 25, but players like him have fallen lately because they don't rush the passer. Or aren't perceived as good pass rushers. Much like Dan Williams last year.
    Last edited by jetsfan1983; 01-09-2011 at 01:46 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL

What is it with you defending these guys like Pouha and Devito like their great players or something?

Their best suited as rotational players, not starters.

We have enough blue-collar, overachievers. It's time to get some legit talent and youth up front.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

We have enough blue-collar, overachievers. It's time to get some legit talent and youth up front.
    +1 Imagine if there was some speed and athleticism on this D?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    What is it with you defending these guys like Pouha and Devito like their great players or something?
    im just trying to predict what the Jets will do... drafting a nose tackle in the first 2 rounds isn't what's gonna happen. I can see them drafting a 3-4 DE, OLB or even another DB. but not nose tackle.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pouha has done an excellent job the last two years but the Jets are thin at that position. If Pouha goes down with an injury in camp next year who do we have? (Jenkins, if he does come back, though a force is not reliable injury wise.)

Devito is an end in my mind and that's it.

I sense on the main main and a bit on here that we are taking run stopping for granted a bit with this team. Neglect the front 3 too much and pretty soon teams are running for 200 yards on you.

I don't see NT as a huge priority early in the draft as we have other needs and players that will fit those needs early.

(In any case we can pick up Terrance Cody in a year after Baltimore cuts him.)