Thread: Sanchez question

Sanchez question

Hey this isn't per say draft related, but it's a very analytical/technical question that I think you guys will answer much better (also TehFailStrip is an awful place for actual intellectual questions... unless you like digging through dog sh*t for the couple nice answers).

Anyway the question: what made/makes Sanchez inaccurate? Is it a footwork technical issue, and if so isn't that a coachable thing especially this young in his career? Also I am assuming there is no "natural" component to accuracy since it seems like more of a mechanics. I'd love to hear specifically what his issue is and also just what determines it for any QB. I legitimately have no idea since I never played any football in HS and even when I played with friends in college I was WR/DL (DL = smacking mofos around lol )

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Hey this isn't per say draft related, but it's a very analytical/technical question that I think you guys will answer much better (also TehFailStrip is an awful place for actual intellectual questions... unless you like digging through dog sh*t for the couple nice answers).

Anyway the question: what made/makes Sanchez inaccurate? Is it a footwork technical issue, and if so isn't that a coachable thing especially this young in his career? Also I am assuming there is no "natural" component to accuracy since it seems like more of a mechanics. I'd love to hear specifically what his issue is and also just what determines it for any QB. I legitimately have no idea since I never played any football in HS and even when I played with friends in college I was WR/DL (DL = smacking mofos around lol )
    I am convinced that it is still speed of the game and that he needs to read defenses 1/2 a second faster. Usually he is pretty good on the slants because it is a simple read. However when he drops straight back, he is taking too long to decipher the coverage. This indecision makes him rush his throw because he is getting the ball there late. It will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    I am convinced that it is still speed of the game and that he needs to read defenses 1/2 a second faster. Usually he is pretty good on the slants because it is a simple read. However when he drops straight back, he is taking too long to decipher the coverage. This indecision makes him rush his throw because he is getting the ball there late. It will get better.
    Thanks man, you think it is little things in his mechanics too (footwork, holding the ball with two hands more often)? I honestly think we need a better OC who will help further develop his fundamental stuff too. He only had one season starting in college, so I think he needs more basic stuff hammered in so it becomes second nature. I really don't schotty as the OC at all.

I am not a big Schotty fan but I can't say that his system has much to do with Sanchez not being accurate. When the game is going fast your mechanics are the first thing to fall off. Further, if your reads are late, you hurry passes.

From what I read and see, Sanchez spends plenty of time on mechanics so I think as he gets more comfortable and recognizes defenses quicker, his accuracy will get better.

Man under is the book on Sanchez. Play trail technique and have over the top help. He needs to figure out where to go with the ball quicker when that is the defense he is facing. The Pats perfected that coverage in their last meeting. Play action will help make those windows bigger and Keller will need to get off the line a little cleaner if they are to have success this week.

I am not a big Schotty fan but I can't say that his system has much to do with Sanchez not being accurate. When the game is going fast your mechanics are the first thing to fall off. Further, if your reads are late, you hurry passes.

From what I read and see, Sanchez spends plenty of time on mechanics so I think as he gets more comfortable and recognizes defenses quicker, his accuracy will get better.

Man under is the book on Sanchez. Play trail technique and have over the top help. He needs to figure out where to go with the ball quicker when that is the defense he is facing. The Pats perfected that coverage in their last meeting. Play action will help make those windows bigger and Keller will need to get off the line a little cleaner if they are to have success this week.
    Gotchya, thanks you seem to have a good understanding of it. At least we know it's just a matter of time. I hate the play design typical for Schotty but like you said that is another issue. Good stuff, this exactly the answer I would have to dig for if i posted this on the strip lol

Jets Insider VIP

and when he rushes passes his release point is very high. Thus he throws the ball too high. He is deadly accurate when he fires the ball at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    and when he rushes passes his release point is very high. Thus he throws the ball too high. He is deadly accurate when he fires the ball at times.
    It was pointed out in last weeks game that Mark was overstriding ( and he was). The shoulder may be more of a concern then the Jets are letting on, MS maybe overcompensating. Height is an issue,Mark gets a few balls batted, he starts forcing things and overthrows...
    Conk is correct, speed of the game and Schotty makes things overly complex.
    Mark is at his best in the 2 minute drill, less thinking more doing

i think its a combination of things..sore shoulder which he is compensating which is resulting in bad footwork(hence the overstriding)..i also feel like any 2nd year qb is still not making the sound or confident decisions out there leading to indecisiveness thus creating innacurate passes..and the last thing not touched on yet..i think at beginning of games he is very very nervous and that def leads to high throws..extra adrenaline!!we are one of the worst 1st qtr offenses in league..and sanchez seems to settle down as long as game is still in hand and gets into 4th qtr..thats why he is gettting a label as a comeback qb..i just think he settles down late gets rid of the jitters..and focus's better especially in 2 minute situation..just my 2 cents...