Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: re The New York Jets cheating AGAIN?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

re The New York Jets cheating AGAIN?

Well it looks like the Sal Alosi caper was just the tip of the iceburg.

It now seems that there could very well be some tampering charges coming against the Jets in the near future, regarding the Asomugha case.

This would just be par for the course for the Jets, who also tampered with Deion Branch while he was under contract to the Pats.

With the obscure news surfacing that Nnamdi Asomugha’s contract with the Oakland Raiders has been voided because of a failure to reach incentives, a lot of talk is springing up about a possible Darrelle Revis-Asomugha cornerback duo in New York next season. That would obviously be a deadly combination and create one of the most prolific cornerback tandems of all time if it happened. If that’s all you’re thinking about, you’re missing the big picture.

The thought of Revis and Asomugha playing together has become a topic because of comments Nnamdi made following the Pro Bowl last season. ESPN’s Tim Graham caught up with the Raiders’ franchise corner following that game, and here’s what he had to say about the potential of playing alongside Revis.

Oakland Raiders star Asomugha was smiling when he brought up the dream scenario, but insisted he was “dead serious” and has spoken to New York Jets coach Rex Ryan about it.

“Me and Revis have been talking to Rex to try to do something,” Asomugha said. “You may see us in the future. There’s a little bit of talk going on. Either he’s coming to Oakland or something else will happen.”

How is that not raising the red flag for more people? Mostly everyone who has written about the idea has talked about how much the duo could terrorize opposing quarterbacks and how phenomenal the Jets’ secondary would be. Lost in the salivation has been the fact that Asomugha admitted Rex Ryan talked to him about joining the Jets while he was clearly still under contract with the Raiders. Tampering, anyone?

As we all know, coaches and players are not supposed to talk about the contract status of players that they don’t have the rights to. They’re definitely not supposed to talk to them about joining their team in the future. No one seems to care with the Miami Heat except Dan Gilbert, but Asomugha’s flapping gums may have created an enormous hurdle for the Jets to leap if they plan on trying to add him to their roster this offseason. If I were Robert Kraft, I’d have already called Roger Goodell
    http://larrybrownsports.com/football...somugha/46869#

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BluVayner View Post

It now seems that there could very well be some tampering charges coming against the Jets in the near future, regarding the Asomugha case.

This would just be par for the course for the Jets, who also tampered with Deion Branch while he was under contract to the Pats.

Lol. Please show me where the Jets were penalized for branch.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, you really are a horse's ass.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well played.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL.. I think they are referring to last year's Pro bowl when Aso and Revis were hanging out and talking about how great it would be to have both guys in the same secondary. There will be no tampering, Rex had nothing to do with the playful chatter.

DUMP

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

I read the same story. Problem is....it was dated Feb 1, 2010.

You no veddy good at being troll. Makes me pine for the days of TX.

Together in Jets Secondary by Daniel Popko on Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:12PM
    Do you like this story?Tweet Jets coach Rex Ryan elicits a lot of strong emotions. Most Jets fans love him. Most other fans hate him (especially Dolphins fans). If two of the best cornerbacks in the game get their way, that hate could soon turn to jealousy.

According to ESPN.com, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis and Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha got to talking while in Miami for Sunday’s Pro Bowl and decided that they wouldn’t mind being paired together more often. While pairing arguably the game’s two best corners sounds more like someone turned off the fair-trade settings in Madden, Asomugha insists that they are “dead serious” about the idea.

Considering the Jets already fielded the NFL’s top pass defense with the platoon of Lito Sheppard, Dwight Lowery and Dexter Strickland across the ocean from “Revis Island,” adding a Pro Bowler like Asomugha could make things very frightening for opposing offenses.

Asomugha was given a three-year, $45.3-million deal last year, the most expensive ever for a defensive back. According to ESPN.com, Revis can expect to set a new record this offseason. Despite the cap logistics of two $15-million-plus corners on the same team, the duo has hope.

"That's a lot of money they're going to be pushing around," Revis told the Web site, "but that'll be tough for quarterbacks. I'll tell you that."

Asomugha can already see a deal on the horizon.

"You may see us in the future. There's a little bit of talk going on,” Asomugha said. “Either he's coming to Oakland or something else will happen."

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out the “something else” to which Asomugha is referring. Asomugha claimed he and Revis had been talking to Ryan about trying to make it happen, though neither said anything about conversations with Raiders coach Tom Cable or Oakland owner Al Davis.

Even though the prospect of both Pro Bowlers in green and white is enough to make Ryan giddy, he probably wishes they hadn’t brought it to his attention, as he now could be subject to tampering charges from the NFL, according to ProFootballTalk.com.

The defensive guru could be charged if he did indeed talk to Asomugha about the idea, as the Raiders corner insinuated. Even with no tampering charges, the two years left on Asomugha’s contract means a trade would have to be made, and that package could prove too steep for Ryan to cough up.

If the possibility remains on the table, the potential pairing of Asomugha with Revis will no doubt give Ryan and Fireman Ed plenty of sweet Super Bowl dreams. To Tom Brady and the rest of the quarterbacks who have to face the Jets, it might seem more like a nightmare.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your nick should be "blueveiner" cuz you're a dick.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Wow, you really are a horse's ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum
    Your nick should be "blueveiner" cuz you're a dick.
    You two do realize that I got to CHOOSE my name and avatar, dont' you? I mean it's not like they were assigned to me. I highly doubt that anyone is going to be offended when someone disses on a name or avatar that they picked out themself.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I read the same story. Problem is....it was dated Feb 1, 2010.

You no veddy good at being troll. Makes me pine for the days of TX.
    It doesn't matter when the conversations took place. If Ryan talked to Asomugha, or if he relayed the message in any way that he was interested...that's tampering. If the Jets end up signing him, that would set off alarms in Oakland and at the NFL office. Even if they don't sign him it's still tampering.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You two do realize that I got to CHOOSE my name and avatar, dont' you?
    really?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn't matter when the conversations took place. If Ryan talked to Asomugha, or if he relayed the message in any way that he was interested...that's tampering. If the Jets end up signing him, that would set off alarms in Oakland and at the NFL office. Even if they don't sign him it's still tampering.
    Right, but this news is 11 months old and has been reported already. So, if the NFL even did respond to this, the investigation has long since finished.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    really?
    Ha ha!

Good one.