Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colts OLB Jerry Hughs for CB Kyle Wilson

Colts OLB Jerry Hughs for CB Kyle Wilson

Today , GM Bill Polian Colt GM blames the poor kick coverage for the Colts failure to advance in the Playoffs. First round Pick Jerry Hughs looked very bad on Cromarties return, and hasn't done anything on defense this year.
    Rex loves Cb's but the Jets need a pass Rush. Would you consider swapping last years number one Pick , CB Kyle Wilson, for the Colts number one Pick , Jerry Hughs OLB (32) and a 2011 4th round pick... ???

why?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    why?
    Yeah, why?

Veteran
    why?
    Why do we need Jerry Hughes when our pass-rushing OLB/DE spot is being occupied by future Hall of Famer Vernon Gholston? Makes no sense.

- Bitonti

Jets Insider VIP
    why?
    +1

Jerry Hughes has been total dogsh*t so far. Wilson struggled greatly at the beginning of the year but has definitely shown signs of improvement.

I'd look to pick up a mid level guy in FA at OLB. Someone like Manny Lawson or Kamerion Wimbley.

What about Mathias Kiwanuka???

Have to keep Wilson but I understand what Orange is getting at. We need a pass rushing OLB....badly.

All Pro
    They already took Wilson over Hughes

All Pro
    For as average (or below average) Wilson has been, Hughes has been non-existent.

No way would I make that trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    +1

Jerry Hughes has been total dogsh*t so far. Wilson struggled greatly at the beginning of the year but has definitely shown signs of improvement.

I'd look to pick up a mid level guy in FA at OLB. Someone like Manny Lawson or Kamerion Wimbley.
    What do you think is mid level? Both of these guys will be about 5 mill a year,
    remember Pace and Scott got 7-7.5 mill . Premium players like Ware, Dumervil and Dansby got 8 or 9 mill a year.

+1

What do you think is mid level? Both of these guys will be about 5 mill a year,
    remember Pace and Scott got 7-7.5 mill . Premium players like Ware, Dumervil and Dansby got 8 or 9 mill a year.

In terms of Lawson, if the 49ers don't re-sign him (he wants to return) it will be because of money. He was demanding to be one of the highest paid linebackers in the league when the 49ers talked to him about an extension last year, but the deal couldn't be done because of two reasons - A) CBA doesn't allow for that level of an increase in salary, and B) he flat out didn't deserve to be paid like that.

Plus, I don't think you would want Lawson. He's ridiculously athletic, but not much of a pass rusher because his pass rush moves are not particularly great (relies too much on the speed and doesn't use technique well) and is too easily engulfed by blockers. Funny thing is that he's awesome against the run and sets the edge better than almost any 3-4 OLB out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Have to keep Wilson but I understand what Orange is getting at. We need a pass rushing OLB....badly.
    Beer thank you for your post... Tanny will always look for an opprotunity to take advantage of irrational player devaluations, the Santonio Holmes rental for a fifth round pick is a prime example.
    The failure of Pace and Thomas to provide an outside Pass Rush is killing this defense. IMO Free Agent Lamar Woodly could solve this problem, but that ain't gonna happen. The Jets need to find a creative solution.
    Jerry Hughes at 6'1 255 is being groomed as a DE in the Colts system, like Freeney and Mathias, it would seem to me that may not be his optimum position, there is a possability that he could be much more successful as an OLB in Rex's system.
    The failure rate of college DE's converting into rush Linebackers is pretty high,our own Vernon Gholston, Derrick Harvey JAX, and Jarvis Moss OAK , cut by the Broncos. There is risk, but the need for a pass rush is great, but my question is, does the draft choice forked over from the Colts modify that risk.( would you consider the Colts third round pick )
    Its certainly too early to give up on Wilson, but the Jets know what they have, and Coleman and Cole are currently ahead of him. The Jet and Cromartie seem to ready to commit. I don't see an immediate solution to this Pass Rush problem in this years draft, but it needs to be solved .

I certaintly haven't given up on Wilson yet, so I'd be inclined to pass.

With that said though, I like Hughes and if the Colts were going to get rid of him this early, I would certaintly give him a look.

Since we are on the subject, Would you trade last years 1st round pick for anybody you want?

Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post
    In terms of Lawson, if the 49ers don't re-sign him (he wants to return) it will be because of money. He was demanding to be one of the highest paid linebackers in the league when the 49ers talked to him about an extension last year, but the deal couldn't be done because of two reasons - A) CBA doesn't allow for that level of an increase in salary, and B) he flat out didn't deserve to be paid like that.

Plus, I don't think you would want Lawson. He's ridiculously athletic, but not much of a pass rusher because his pass rush moves are not particularly great (relies too much on the speed and doesn't use technique well) and is too easily engulfed by blockers. Funny thing is that he's awesome against the run and sets the edge better than almost any 3-4 OLB out there.
    F the pass rusher...Cowboys have Ware and Vikings have Allen, yet both teams suck in coverage so bad it doesn't even matter.

I'm looking at Lawson because he's a freak athletically and he's one of the few 3-4 OLBs in this league who plays the pass in coverage with competence. One thing I hate is this assumption that the 3-4 OLB mut be a sack monster to be useful against the pass...I've seen enough Lawson to know he's a very valuable player against the pass for the 49ers.

Agreed that he's also excellent against the run, which is icing and shows he's worthy of getting a starter caliber contract on the FA market.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-12-2011 at 01:20 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post

It's really funny with Lawson. This guy looks terrific moving around the field, is great in coverage and good against the run. But the sack numbers just are not there (even though I think he creates more pressure than the numbers would indicate) and that is what you ultimatively need from an OLB in the 3-4. Now I dont know how much the 49ers incompetent coaching staff has to do with that or if he can be fixed.

If he thinks he deserves big time money, then f... him! At a reasonable deal I would love to sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    It's really funny with Lawson. This guy looks terrific moving around the field, is great in coverage and good against the run. But the sack numbers just are not there (even though I think he creates more pressure than the numbers would indicate) and that is what you ultimatively need from an OLB in the 3-4. Now I dont know how much the 49ers incompetent coaching staff has to do with that or if he can be fixed.

If he thinks he deserves big time money, then f... him! At a reasonable deal I would love to sign him.
    He doesn't create more pressure than his numbers indicate, that's the thing... I like him, he brings an all-around game... but I'd replace him in a second if I could get my hands on superior pass rushers like Woodley or Ray Edwards. The 49ers' pass rush is generated by one singular, unblockable force on the team - Justin Smith. The rest of the front seven save Ahmad Brooks (backup), Travis LaBoy (backup) and Patrick Willis can't pass rush worth a damn.

Ray Edwards? Man are DTs and coverage ability a seriously underrated aspect of the all powerful, near mythical pass rush. I think I could be the Vikings other DE.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-12-2011 at 01:56 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    Today , GM Bill Polian Colt GM blames the poor kick coverage for the Colts failure to advance in the Playoffs. First round Pick Jerry Hughs looked very bad on Cromarties return, and hasn't done anything on defense this year.
    Rex loves Cb's but the Jets need a pass Rush. Would you consider swapping last years number one Pick , CB Kyle Wilson, for the Colts number one Pick , Jerry Hughs OLB (32) and a 2011 4th round pick... ???
    He's even lost a letter from his name since last year. That's not a good omen.