Thread: Casey Matthews looks like a player...

Casey Matthews looks like a player...

We can do worse than to draft a Matthews, especially now that we might lose Harris. These guys are wired differently it seems, the game just comes so natural to them.

All Pro
    In the 4th-6th, sure why not.

He plays hard and has better athleticism than he probably gets credit for.

I know he plays ILB at oregon, but could he play OLB as well?

Just a feeling, but Matthews would play like a jet.

All League
    Jets aren't going to lose Harris.

doesn't have an NFL body

neither did his daddy Clay who was also slow and is a hall of famer. Again, we could do a lot worse than a Matthews. I don't think we can keep all these guys we're bound to lose one, I'd rather lose Harris than Cro, Braylor, Santonio or BSmith.

His brother is such an obvious juicer...he isn't, but his upside is a Josh Magau type.

UDFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    His brother is such an obvious juicer...he isn't, but his upside is a Josh Magau type.

UDFA.

I wouldn't bet against his success in the NFL, these Mathews are all NFL lifers, they are bonafied football players. How's that saying go? Keep running it till they stop it? Same thing applies here, keep drafting these Matthews till one of them can't play, so far they have all been amazing football players. His build is just fine, maybe runs a high 4.7.. that's fine too because he has good instincts. Anyone remember Zach Thomas?

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    I wouldn't bet against his success in the NFL, these Mathews are all NFL lifers, they are bonafied football players. How's that saying go? Keep running it till they stop it? Same thing applies here, keep drafting these Matthews till one of them can't play, so far they have all been amazing football players. His build is just fine, maybe runs a high 4.7.. that's fine too because he has good instincts. Anyone remember Zach Thomas?
    Zach Thomas went about 2-3 rounds higher than Matthews is expected to go.

Iunno it's entirely possible...I just don't think there's room for two 8 million dollar ILBs when OLB, DE, and NT seem to be needs...though I think I can live with a Pouha/Jenkins rotation at NT if that can happen.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-13-2011 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    doesn't have an NFL body
    6'1" 230 is ok for a cover-2 4-3 but he doesn't really fit in Rex's D.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    6'1" 230 is ok for a cover-2 4-3 but he doesn't really fit in Rex's D.

The pedigree gives him and extra 2 inches and 15 pounds and shaves off .2 from his forty leaving his metrics at... wait... 6.3 245 and 4.55

I dont care if he's Eli Manning compared to Clay's Peyton, but if he's even half the player his brother is, snatch him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I dont care if he's Eli Manning compared to Clay's Peyton, but if he's even half the player his brother is, snatch him up.

He plays with a really high motor and flies all over the place, yes he's a lot like his brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Zach Thomas went about 2-3 rounds higher than Matthews is expected to go.

Iunno it's entirely possible...I just don't think there's room for two 8 million dollar ILBs when OLB, DE, and NT seem to be needs...though I think I can live with a Pouha/Jenkins rotation at NT if that can happen.
    Yeah I wish we could get KJ back and for longer than 2 games next year, be a miracle if it could happen

This Clay kid is interesting, be good if we could get him in the 4th etc, his pedigree is excellent, sighn the baby beast

Banned
    isn't he a better prospect then his brother was coming out of USC? or do i think that because of the 2 other line backers that came out of USC that year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by WW85 View Post
    If I was a gambling man, I would take that bet....Harris is LONG gone, mainly because he is a RFA, and he will garner us some much needed picks that will come cheaper than he will, given the money we already tied up in the LB position

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by drunk kid catholic View Post
    isn't he a better prospect then his brother was coming out of USC? or do i think that because of the 2 other line backers that came out of USC that year.
    Nowhere near the prospect his brother was coming out of USC.

Clay was considered by some the 3rd best LB from that team but was still a consensus 1st round prospect. Casey is being thought of as a 4th round (or later) player in everything I've seen so far.

Maybe that changes with the off-season workouts. Casey would really help himself by killing the combine.