Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Marvin Austin vs Muhammad Wilkerson

  1. #1
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,854

    Marvin Austin vs Muhammad Wilkerson

    As we venture deeper and deeper into the postseason, the Heyward's, Jordan's, and Watt's are looking more and more out of reach.

    In Kiper's newest mock, he had us taking Wilkerson. Keep in mind that Heyward, Jordan, Watt, and Ballard were off the board.

    Austin missed all of last year but has the ability to be an absolute stud if he can get his priorities straight. I think playing under a guy like Rex would be perfect for him.

    I'd personally be happy with either of these guys if the board fell that way. I'll be pretty pissed if we don't walk away with a talented DL in round 1.

    Would you guys we happy with Wilkerson? Do you think Austin is a bit of a reach at the tail end of round 1?

  2. #2
    If we could land Austin he would be a perfect fit
    For our 34 D.

    Who would we get in rd 3 in terms of OLB and Safety.

  3. #3
    Im hoping we trade back and wind up with 2 second round picks rather then a 1st and a 3rd....

    Ideally Id like to see us get either the best DL available or Morre, the S from UCLA and then Mark Herzlich with our next pick, I think it would really help our defense.

    We need an OLB that can both rush the passer and cover and this is the guy....minus his cancer, he would have been a certain 1st round pick. Great value at end of 2nd and fills a need for us.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Austin seems like another guy with character issues who fits in perfectly with this group.

    If they select him, he will get taken in by the vets and shown how to play like a Jet.

  5. #5
    the marvin austin from last year's film was very mobile at the point of attack... almost too mobile... like how Drob used to get on skates... youll see him making plays but never in his own gap. I don't think he fits this D... he'd do better in a slanty 4-3 like Eagles or a Cover 2 like the bEars... to Kiper's point, Muhammed Wilkerson probably fits it better... and he could play multiple positions for rex...


    and I know i've been bashed for this before but Ill say it again, the way the DL has been playing these last few weeks, how is this a first round need?

    granted I dont know where they need a draft pick worse... free safety perhaps...

    but I could very easily see them bring Ellis back on a short term deal and let these guys do their thing. Devito and Pouha have been excellent. Jenks is still in the hopper for another year. it's not the youngest bunch but they have been kicking a whole bunch of ass lately.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Charlie Gannt, the Mich St tight end that is one of the best blockers at his position, told me today JJ Watt was the toughest guy he ever had to block in four years....he also told me Adrian Clayborn likes to take plays off...

    the latter being a gaudy statement considering the amount of elite talent coming from the Big Ten this year...

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    the marvin austin from last year's film was very mobile at the point of attack... almost too mobile... like how Drob used to get on skates... youll see him making plays but never in his own gap. I don't think he fits this D... he'd do better in a slanty 4-3 like Eagles or a Cover 2 like the bEars... to Kiper's point, Muhammed Wilkerson probably fits it better... and he could play multiple positions for rex...


    and I know i've been bashed for this before but Ill say it again, the way the DL has been playing these last few weeks, how is this a first round need?

    granted I dont know where they need a draft pick worse... free safety perhaps...

    but I could very easily see them bring Ellis back on a short term deal and let these guys do their thing. Devito and Pouha have been excellent. Jenks is still in the hopper for another year. it's not the youngest bunch but they have been kicking a whole bunch of ass lately.
    You are right but then this is the year that we should address the front seven. Good teams locate needs before they become imminent and it would be the perfect scenario if we could ease a talented rookie in next year while Ellis is still around.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    You are right but then this is the year that we should address the front seven. Good teams locate needs before they become imminent and it would be the perfect scenario if we could ease a talented rookie in next year while Ellis is still around.
    i guess that's true... and i'll probably have them taking the DL in my mock... but is the 5th or 6th DT better than the 1st or 2nd FS? Im not so sure it's great value. What sort of expectations we will have of that player have as the 28th or 32nd pick?

    i know they are flawed maybe a OLB like Houston or Ayers if he is around is a better way forward. Maybe even a guy like Martez Wilson if they let Harris go? Can't argue with trying to get more pass rush. that guy might get the stats to justify the pick. but muhammed wilkerson never will.

  9. #9
    These are two guys combine will tell us more about...I like Wilkerson alot but I think he needs to get a little stronger and he might/could/should end up a 3rd round guy.

  10. #10
    just looking at the roster... the more i look at it maybe OLB is as big a need as DL and might be better value.

    so jenks is 31. shaun ellis is 33. Trevor Pryce is 35. Pouha is also 31 cause of the Mormon mission.

    yes that age is an issue. to have older DL like these guys is tough but they are performing at a pretty high level. there's Devito mixing in with other young bucks (Dixon, Gilbert, Kroul on the PS)

    but look at OLB. Pace is 30. Thomas is 31. Jason Taylor is older than everyone and a rotational guy. And the only young buck is Westerman.

    the case could be made that depending on who is off the board, OLB is a better pick than 3-4 DL. They have guys developing at 3-4 DL. they have no one at OLB who can replace Pace or Thomas... and one would think that a loss of footspeed affects that position more. By the time a 3-4 OLB is developed those guys will be ancient.

    Something to think about...

  11. #11
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,854
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    just looking at the roster... the more i look at it maybe OLB is as big a need as DL and might be better value.

    so jenks is 31. shaun ellis is 33. Trevor Pryce is 35. Pouha is also 31 cause of the Mormon mission.

    yes that age is an issue. to have older DL like these guys is tough but they are performing at a pretty high level. there's Devito mixing in with other young bucks (Dixon, Gilbert, Kroul on the PS)

    but look at OLB. Pace is 30. Thomas is 31. Jason Taylor is older than everyone and a rotational guy. And the only young buck is Westerman.

    the case could be made that depending on who is off the board, OLB is a better pick than 3-4 DL. They have guys developing at 3-4 DL. they have no one at OLB who can replace Pace or Thomas... and one would think that a loss of footspeed affects that position more. By the time a 3-4 OLB is developed those guys will be ancient.

    Something to think about...

    That's fine with me. As long as we address the front seven in the 1st round it's all gravy.

    If the Jets think a guy like Houston or Beal presents better value than Wilkerson/Ballard/Austin at #30-32, then I'll have no complaints if that's the route they take.

    Even though the defense has really been stellar through the playoffs, we still need to improve our ability to get after the QB. That has to be our biggest priority in the offseason, regardless if we win the Superbowl or not.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    That's fine with me. As long as we address the front seven in the 1st round it's all gravy.

    If the Jets think a guy like Houston or Beal presents better value than Wilkerson/Ballard/Austin at #30-32, then I'll have no complaints if that's the route they take.

    Even though the defense has really been stellar through the playoffs, we still need to improve our ability to get after the QB. That has to be our biggest priority in the offseason, regardless if we win the Superbowl or not.
    Marvin Austin would be ideal in the 3rd down role that Ellis plays... interior pass rush in a nickel package. But against running teams or on 1st down I don't know what they can do with that player.

    To some extent that is also true of any OLB convert as they will know how to DE on 3rd and long but might take years to learn how to be a 3-4 OLB. Both positions have to be addressed.

  13. #13
    If they grab a DE/OLB I see them showing more 4-3 type looks. It's possible, but I think Rex wants a big DL in there, as does Bart Scott/David Harris/Pace.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-19-2011 at 11:48 PM.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    just looking at the roster... the more i look at it maybe OLB is as big a need as DL and might be better value.

    so jenks is 31. shaun ellis is 33. Trevor Pryce is 35. Pouha is also 31 cause of the Mormon mission.

    yes that age is an issue. to have older DL like these guys is tough but they are performing at a pretty high level. there's Devito mixing in with other young bucks (Dixon, Gilbert, Kroul on the PS)

    but look at OLB. Pace is 30. Thomas is 31. Jason Taylor is older than everyone and a rotational guy. And the only young buck is Westerman.

    the case could be made that depending on who is off the board, OLB is a better pick than 3-4 DL. They have guys developing at 3-4 DL. they have no one at OLB who can replace Pace or Thomas... and one would think that a loss of footspeed affects that position more. By the time a 3-4 OLB is developed those guys will be ancient.

    Something to think about...
    You are making a really good point. I would be happy if we just go defense early because even though the defense has performed great in the last two games, we still have some issues. FS is another interesting position but as it seems now, we might even go the entire first round without a clear early safety prospect being selected. DL looks like a lot of value and teams overdrafting some other positions might result in a stud DL falling. You never know...

    As for OLB, we added young guys in Brown and Crable to the PS. One a pretty high pick and the other got playing time on the Pats before he got cut. So they definitely have potential. But as you said, our OLB are extremely old. Westerman also saw time against the Pats in the divisional round. Youth in the front seven is an issue even if we have guys in the wings. We really dont know yet who can step up in a DeVito role. Right now this is what we need as someone has to take for Ellis at DE at some point. Dixon and Gilbert are good enough to atleast be rotational type guys during the season but we need a guy down the road who can start for us there and help us win big games. Just like Ellis did against the Pats. I dont expect the Jets to replace him with an immediate impact player but we should definitely look to add a talented player for the position. Houston seems to be available at the end of the first round and whenever you get the chance to get the SEC sack leader who actually has experience standing up, sign me up. Aldon Smith is another guy I like as he has tremendous natural ability and he could learn a year behind BT and Pace and help as a situational pass rusher.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    If they grab a DE/OLB I see them showing more 4-3 type looks. It's possible, but I think Rex wants a big DL in there, as does Bart Scott/David Harris/Pace.
    We already give a bunch of 4-3 looks with Ellis at DE on run downs and then inside on passing downs. To me it seems that there are a ton of similar type players available this year who can change between inside and outside depending on the situation. Guys like Ballard or Jordan have been playing at DE quite a bit and should do very well in a role similar to what the Big Kat is doing.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Charlie Gannt, the Mich St tight end that is one of the best blockers at his position, told me today JJ Watt was the toughest guy he ever had to block in four years....he also told me Adrian Clayborn likes to take plays off...

    the latter being a gaudy statement considering the amount of elite talent coming from the Big Ten this year...
    Just by watching Clayborn and it's clear he likes to take plays off.

    Gannt is a good blocker so that's a good comment on Watt.


    I loved Watt in that last game. I do think however that Watt isn't going to do much in the first year or two. Just seems to me like he's going to have to figure out the little things like blocking patterns, how to use his hands better.


    Oh, and Austin is not that good... Not enough strength at the point and isn't good enough with his hands to make up for it. Have to watch Wilkerson though. Downloaded a few games and should be able to see within the next week.
    Last edited by jetsfan1983; 01-24-2011 at 11:39 AM.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    the marvin austin from last year's film was very mobile at the point of attack... almost too mobile... like how Drob used to get on skates... youll see him making plays but never in his own gap. I don't think he fits this D... he'd do better in a slanty 4-3 like Eagles or a Cover 2 like the bEars... to Kiper's point, Muhammed Wilkerson probably fits it better... and he could play multiple positions for rex...


    and I know i've been bashed for this before but Ill say it again, the way the DL has been playing these last few weeks, how is this a first round need?

    granted I dont know where they need a draft pick worse... free safety perhaps...

    but I could very easily see them bring Ellis back on a short term deal and let these guys do their thing. Devito and Pouha have been excellent. Jenks is still in the hopper for another year. it's not the youngest bunch but they have been kicking a whole bunch of ass lately.
    Well if Ellis stays, not next year, but the draft is not just for next year it is for the future. FA are for what you need now.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Im hoping we trade back and wind up with 2 second round picks rather then a 1st and a 3rd....

    Ideally Id like to see us get either the best DL available or Morre, the S from UCLA and then Mark Herzlich with our next pick, I think it would really help our defense.

    We need an OLB that can both rush the passer and cover and this is the guy....minus his cancer, he would have been a certain 1st round pick. Great value at end of 2nd and fills a need for us.
    agreed and take phil taylor, dt, baylor.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    We already give a bunch of 4-3 looks with Ellis at DE on run downs and then inside on passing downs. To me it seems that there are a ton of similar type players available this year who can change between inside and outside depending on the situation. Guys like Ballard or Jordan have been playing at DE quite a bit and should do very well in a role similar to what the Big Kat is doing.
    Agreed with that, but that's not a 3-4 OLB prospect...a guy like Aldon Smith or Jeremy Beal or something...I'd think more 4-3 looks to get that guy on the field...really front is outdated anyway...I want a guy like Suggs and a guy like Ngata.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    You are right but then this is the year that we should address the front seven. Good teams locate needs before they become imminent and it would be the perfect scenario if we could ease a talented rookie in next year while Ellis is still around.
    Yes, bring in some rooks to learn from these guys Ellis, Taylor etc while they're still productive and bleed the rooks in gradually. Should be ideal in terms of continuity on D

    BTW would love to get Herzlich on board looks like an excellent value impact player if we get him in the 2nd via trade i.e. our first and third for two #2 round picks
    Last edited by FijiJet; 01-25-2011 at 06:31 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us